• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Just heard that Slaters are opening a craft beer pub in Wolves in Feb. The old Costa by the man on the horse, right next door to the Lych Gate. Could be a game changer....

Awesome. The centre has been crying out for a craft pub. What does Slater's core range look like?

Awesome. The centre has been crying out for a craft pub. What does Slater's core range look like?

Top Totty (Blonde and very hoppy) is a quality session ale.
Green Hop IPA (very hoppy!) is ace
Queen Bee Golden ale and if you like them sweet with honey this is a top drop.

I've not tried the Emperor at 7%. A bit beastly for me, though would be rude not to give it a go in a pint glass.

I've not tried the Emperor at 7%. A bit beastly for me, though would be rude not to give it a go in a pint glass.

Sounds good! Any darker beers?

Just finished an Augustiner - Helles. Easily one of the best lagers in the world. Got a pale ale from Tiny Rebel to follow, really looking forward to it after Langers' recommendation.

Not sure Lycan, if I go for the darker brews it's usually the titanic plum porter. Slaters on draft is a very good pint mind you.

Get your hands on a Tiny Rebel Cwtch. Brilliant.

Augustiner is divine.

Get your hands on a Tiny Rebel Cwtch. Brilliant.

Augustiner is divine.

I've had Cwtch, lovely drop. This one is called The Full Nelson, which I assume means it's rammed full of Nelson Sauvin. I've got a bottle of their Dirty Stop Out as well (5% Oat Smoked Stout), might crack that open later on.

I could drink Augustiner for days. Picked it up relatively cheap as well at £2 a bottle.

Wild Beer Co Somerset Wild. This fucker must have turned surely. Tasted like a snakebite with Zamek and two year out-of-date Diamond White or pissed up bile aftertaste. Hard to tell. Two mouthfuls and straight down the sink, it was that bad.

Wild Beer Co Somerset Wild. This fucker must have turned surely. Tasted like a snakebite with Zamek and two year out-of-date Diamond White or pissed up bile aftertaste. Hard to tell. Two mouthfuls and straight down the sink, it was that bad.

Knowing Wild Beer, that's probably what it was meant to taste like.

Struggling to get my chops around this Sleeping Lemons of theirs. Sour, salty, lemony, flat and dry is a bit much in a beer for me.

Loved their Epic Saison, but they're a bit hit and miss IMO

They've got a couple of New Zealand pale's by the looks of it too.

Sounds good! Any darker beers?

Just finished an Augustiner - Helles. Easily one of the best lagers in the world. Got a pale ale from Tiny Rebel to follow, really looking forward to it after Langers' recommendation.

A smoked porter, looking at their website.

I'm hoping they have a lot of guest beers in. My concern is that they will play off the "craft" moniker they have bestowed upon themselves and just be another pub selling cask ale.

Knowing Wild Beer, that's probably what it was meant to taste like.

Struggling to get my chops around this Sleeping Lemons of theirs. Sour, salty, lemony, flat and dry is a bit much in a beer for me.

Loved their Epic Saison, but they're a bit hit and miss IMO

An acquired taste but a taste well worth acquiring IMO.

An acquired taste but a taste well worth acquiring IMO.

I dunno man. I like sour and tarte things. But it's too far removed from being a beer. I love malt & hops!

A smoked porter, looking at their website.

I'm hoping they have a lot of guest beers in. My concern is that they will play off the "craft" moniker they have bestowed upon themselves and just be another pub selling cask ale.

I do love a smoked porter. This one I'm drinking from Tiny Rebel is stunning, full bodied with a really subtle smokiness.

I have to admit, when I first saw your post I read it as 'Saddlers' and got a little overexcited. A pre-match Mud City would go down a treat.

I do love a smoked porter. This one I'm drinking from Tiny Rebel is stunning, full bodied with a really subtle smokiness.

I have to admit, when I first saw your post I read it as 'Saddlers' and got a little overexcited. A pre-match Mud City would go down a treat.

Ha! I don't think I'd bother with the match, tbh.

I've got a bottle of that in the fridge, picked it up yesterday after seeing it mentioned on here a few times.

I've moved more to darker beers now after deciding light hoppy beers just taste like a perfume and air freshener cocktail with a garnish of potpourri. Usually go for a porter rather than stout though as I can't cleanse my brain of bad experiences with Guinness in my youth.

Stouts and Porters are pretty much the same thing. No discernable difference. It's kind of up to the brewer what they call it. In the olden days a stout would denote a more robust version of a porter, but it's all a bit ambiguous.

I've got a bottle of that in the fridge, picked it up yesterday after seeing it mentioned on here a few times.

I've moved more to darker beers now after deciding light hoppy beers just taste like a perfume and air freshener cocktail with a garnish of potpourri. Usually go for a porter rather than stout though as I can't cleanse my brain of bad experiences with Guinness in my youth.

I love hoppy beers but I've got to agree, give me a stout over an IPA any day.

I'm not even sure what the difference between a stout and a porter is any more tbh, breweries seem to used the names pretty interchangeably nowadays. Guinness is awful, I really don't see the appeal.

Edit: Ninja'd

I haven't touched Guinness for years, can't even look at the stuff now.

Think that bad experience and the more similar appearance to lager is what lead me more to lighter beers but the darker stuff is definitely more to my taste. Give me something deep and rich over light and fragrant any day.

Spent the evening in the Royal Exchange on the Bathams. There have been some splendid recommendations on here - keep them coming - but nothing can beat a pint of proper Bathams in one of their pubs. Absolute nectar.

Back