• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Titanic Plum Porter in Lidl for £1.49
Yes please!

When you consider the prices and quality of food in the think tank, the woodman must be almost a no-brainer. Next time I take the kids there, I will remember that.

Been looking forward to tonight's BeerBods since I opened the box a few weeks back:

Wild Beer Co, Wild Goose Chase - https://beerbods.co.uk/this-weeks-beer/wild-beer-co-wild-goose-chase/

WIL020%20Wild%20Goose.jpg

Had their Epic Saison last weekend. Bloodly lovely it was too, but this one promises a boat load more flavour with MORE HOPS, although that's not what Wild Beer's drinks are about really. It's more the wild yeasts and additional ingredients (fruits, herbs etc). The tricky bit is getting it all balanced without venturing into gimmicky.

The Wild Beer Insane IPA was certainly hoptastic. Absolutely beautiful too.

Looking forward to my bottle Sleeping Lemons.

Oh yeah, that wasn't meant to mean they don't love their hop bombs! They've not long released a double IPA and all. Being trying sort out a trip over to their place in Cheltenham early next year.

Well I'm in Tilt in Brum city centre.

What a load of pretentious twaddle. I wanted a pint of something moderate - around 4% - but I'm drinking a 6.1% raspberry beer Counting Vampires - Raspberry IPA) served in a 2/3 glass that cost me £4.75. Because that was genuinely the nearest thing. The weakest beer and the only one not served in a 1/3 or 1/2.

Fuck off with that nonsense - put some normal session beers on!

Its by no means a bad drop but seriously - sons folks don't want to start knocking back strong ales at this time and pay nearly twice as much as it would cost for a normal pint in the process.

And it's full of posers too. Not my scene. I'm off to the Welly or the Shakespeare after this.

Ah well. There was always a danger of it being like that I guess.

I feel your pain Langers. At least if all the posers are in there. Hopefully elsewhere will be quieter.

Yeah, but you have to try new places I suppose! They've basically managed to incorporate everything I hate about Brewdog into a minimalist hovel, without Punk IPA as an acceptable back up option!

I'm sat at a fucking school desk FFS.

I tried the Strongbow Dark Fruit on Wed night. Only half mind as it sounded a bit sickly. It was ok. Funnily enough it was exactly like normal Strongbow with a bit of summer fruit taste to it.

I wouldn't recommend it.

I wanted a pint of something moderate - around 4% - but I'm drinking a 6.1% raspberry beer Counting Vampires - Raspberry IPA) served in a 2/3 glass that cost me £4.75. Because that was genuinely the nearest thing. The weakest beer and the only one not served in a 1/3 or 1/2.

Fuck off with that nonsense - put some normal session beers on!

Some of the best beers I've ever had have been 8%+ and served in 1/3 measures. I've seen so many people recoil at the idea of an 11% Russian Imperial Stout as if wine had never existed and it's always confused me.

There's a time and a place for both styles of beer surely.

Ha! They've just tweeted that they are now serving Beavertown Neck Oil. Nice session IPA for you Langers :D

Had some cracking beer this weekend.

Higlights were:

Wild Beer Epic Saison - super crisp and refreshing with a lovely hoppy flavour
Cloudwater Red Ale - fucking LOVE this beer. Sweet amber body, super tropical hops. Ace.
Orval - bottle from from Lych Gate (their draght line-up was a bit uninspring) - fairly dark reddy brown, slightly funky yeast, spicy and sweet body, strong abv with plenty of floral and citrussy bitter hop flavour
Wiper & True, Quintet - Proper punchy IPA. Fruity, citrusy, tropical, sweet and piny.
To-0l, Reparationsbajer - Very drinkable APA, mostly tropical citrus hops but a hint of floral going on too.

Had a Black IPA from Greene King in the Lych Gate which to me just tasted like a stout with a hint of liquorice, pretty lame really. Call it a Black IPA and you expect hops! Other disappointing beer was a Wadworth, Swordfish from the Combemere which is a blend of 6X Bitter and Pusser's Navy Rum. Didn't work for me at all. Too strong a flavour which I found a bit sickly. Had a decent porter from there though - Batemans, Colonel's Whiskers. Nice hints of chocolate and coffee with some dark fruit sweetness running through.

Also had a Buxton SPA but I was really let down by it. I was expecting a junior version of their Axe Edge, but this was nothing like that. Smelt a bit too funky and was way too lemony. No balance to it. Having read other reviews, I'm not sure that I didn't have a bad bottle to be honest. Have got another in the shed, so will have to see if that one's the same.
Got a bottle of SPA chilling so will let you know how I find it!

Harviestoun - Old Engine Oil. I'm not sure why I haven't had this beer before but it's bloody brilliant. Has potential to become one of my favourites.

Five Points, Railway Porter. Beautiful. Loads of chocolate and bitter caramel. Very easy to drink pudding in a glass.

Please do. I'm not convinced mine wasn't skunked.

Wasn't sure what to make of it really. Like you said, I thought it lacked balance. Left a bit of a nasty aftertaste behind too. I won't be rushing to drink the other one.

Had a Tiny Rebel Cwtch at lunch today - absolutely superb red beer. Best pint I've had for a while.

Just cracked another one Nando and it was much nicer this time. Not sure if the first one was bad, or that it doesn't mix well after other strong IPAs. I've served this one a lot colder which I think had helped. Very dry lager body to it.

Back