• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

They've always had BCA on when I've been in there, not the most exciting brewery but always good brews IMO. BFG is nice and Pig on the Wall is quite good for a mild.

I didn't try the Pig on the Wall but I enjoyed the BFG.

The Lych Gate is ok, their cider is ludicrously overpriced though. I also made a 'wrong jacket' decision at the Burnley game so my post-match beer garden meanderings there were uncomfortable. Though I can't really blame them for me picking the wrong coat.

BCA pubs are WAAAAY better than their ales.

Their beers are okay but I've not yet been in a bad BCA pub. The two in Brum city centre are superb.

Going to cancel the Honest after this one gets here. Apart from this months fuck up (which I'm sure will still be nice) Beer52 have been awesome and Beerbods are always good (I just wish it wasn't on a Thursday which is shit for me). I can just about afford to keep both boxes going at the same time.

Yeah, it's the Nightmare on Bold Street. I've had it before (from Beer52 maybe?) and I wasn't a fan so I'll be interested to try it again. Really looking forward to the Hook Island & the London Smoke (7.8% smoked porter), everything I've had from Five Points has been top notch.

The Hook Island was the BeerBods one a couple of weeks back - did you miss that one?

There's another craft beer club that I've spotted - https://www.flavourly.com/ - found the voucher code RYANSENTME on Twitter which gives you £12 off your first box. 8 beers and 2 snacks (whatever) for £12 is pretty fucking steady. Will have to wait until after Christmas before cashing that one in as I've spent over £100 on beers this month alone!

Yeah it was. I may have mentioned this before, but red ales are my absolute favourite at the moment.

BCA pubs are WAAAAY better than their ales.

Their beers are okay but I've not yet been in a bad BCA pub. The two in Brum city centre are superb.
Tend to agree with this. I was recently in the Lych Gate and no beers really stood out to me. I'm leaning more now towards the craft beer side of things and it's something Wolverhampton is lacking.

Tend to agree with this. I was recently in the Lych Gate and no beers really stood out to me. I'm leaning more now towards the craft beer side of things and it's something Wolverhampton is lacking.

Meant more that the BCA ales aren't that great, but the pubs are good and look after their guest ales really well. And they have a very large variety of guests.

The best I've been in is the Craven Arms, which is right next to the Mailbox. Which is funny really - so many people will not even know it's there and spend £4 for a pint of piss in one of the crappy bars in the Mailbox surrounded by posing twats when there's a vastly superior pub a short walk away!

Agreed.

Meant more that the BCA ales aren't that great, but the pubs are good and look after their guest ales really well. And they have a very large variety of guests.

The best I've been in is the Craven Arms, which is right next to the Mailbox. Which is funny really - so many people will not even know it's there and spend £4 for a pint of piss in one of the crappy bars in the Mailbox surrounded by posing twats when there's a vastly superior pub a short walk away!

Hoping to have an evening out in brum soon, so will have to take a butchers.

Well, looking at their Twitter feed, they have some amazing beers on there. Cheers for that Langers.

Hoping to have an evening out in brum soon, so will have to take a butchers.

The Wellington, Post Office Vaults, The Woodman, Craven Arms.

The 4 best pubs in Brum IMO. The Woodman is a bit of a gem considering its location - it's bloody good value too. Accepts CAMRA vouchers, you can grab a decent pub meal for around £7 and you can even hire a Megadrive/N64 if you go upstairs.

Have you ventured into Tilt yet? - hipster heaven, but craft ales a plenty.

Is The Woodman the one by the Thinktank? We've got an annual pass for the Thinktank so are there loads but have never been in that pub. I didn't realise it was a bit of a gem.

Not yet, no - I'm meeting the better half after work on Friday and she's ALWAYS late so I'll pop in whilst I wait for her I think.

Is The Woodman the one by the Thinktank? We've got an annual pass for the Thinktank so are there loads but have never been in that pub. I didn't realise it was a bit of a gem.

Yep, that's the one. It's really good in there. I've taken Mini Langers in after a Think Tank trip so they're fine with kids, and it never appears to be too busy. Frankly, I'm not sure why it's not better known or busier!

The Shakespeare is pretty good too.

Agreed - forgot about that one. I find it tends to get a bit busy though, not surprising as it's so small and right next to New St Station.

Yep, that's the one. It's really good in there. I've taken Mini Langers in after a Think Tank trip so they're fine with kids, and it never appears to be too busy. Frankly, I'm not sure why it's not better known or busier.

Just looked at the website, the food menu looks impressive! Will definitely have to check it out.

Just looked at the website, the food menu looks impressive! Will definitely have to check it out.

They've also got an A2 sized portfolio of designs for the HS2 terminal, which would be situated right next to the pub. I don't agree with HS2 but the designs for Curzon Street and the surrounding areas really are quite something. It's worth a visit just to have a flick through that.

Back