• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Sat in the Palace Bar on Fleet St in Dublin.

Probably the nicest pint of Guinness I've had over here.

New BeerBods delivery arrived today:

10530921_10156399960550647_5716426023476386387_n.jpg

Definite shift in style to the more traditional bitters and old ales. Some contemporary twists, saisons, stout/porters and wheat beers in there too. Perhaps that's a seasonal thing, or it could be down to a really poor 2015 hop harvest and breweries changing their approach.

From left to right:
Wild Beer, Wild Goose Chase
Boundary, Export Stout
Savour, Dubbel
Bedlam, Benchmark
Inveralmond, Blackfriar
Liverpool Craft Beer, Rye Pale Ale
Acorn, Barnsley Bitter
Fullers, 1845
Orbit Beers, Neu Altbier
Wildcard, Jack of Clubs
Brains, Atlantic White
Einstock, Toasted Porter

I've got most of the above as well, looking forward to trying some of them, others I'll reserve judgement!

It's not the most inspiring box - I mean you can get that Fullers 1845 for £1.99 in any Tesco - but sometimes it's about trying beers you wouldn't necessarily chose, especially if they're brilliant examples of the style.

For example, I'll be having my first "Altbier" tomorrow which I wouldn't have looked twice at before.

Agreed, if that Fullers one is nice then it's a good filler for the beer shelf in my garage!

I thought you were in Dublin!

Yeah, I spotted that earlier. I think Lycan was telling me in the Wallis pre-match that he'd had some but the conversation got interuppted by Leeds' 3rd goal on the screens!

So tempted to get a Buxton box from Eebria in time for Christmas. Just so skint at the moment!

The Altbier is weird. Not bad, I'm just struggling to know what to make of it.

I really liked it. Very malty, but bitter, crisp, dry yet smooth enough to balance it all out.

Only complaint - Not enough of it. 8 weeks into this and only 1 beer has disappointed me.

Never had an Altbier, nor had I even heard of one before. A kind of lager/ale hybrid - malty but crisp. Apparently. Let's see...
If you ever take a trip to Düsseldorf, the altbier there is great. It's pretty much all you can drink there.

BrewDog just brewed a Kolsch actually and it was really good, never had the style before.

I've just picked up a bottle of this from my local beer shop http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/thornbridge--wild-beer-bite-bakewell-sour/337050/

That looks awesome! I had a Wild Beer - Zintuki last week which was a blend of Ninkasi & Somerset Wild. Lush. Really looking forward to the Wild Goose Chase in a few weeks from BeerBods, I had one from Beer52 a while back and ordered a case as soon as Id finished it.

A can of Northern Monk - Northern Star. A 5.9% Mocha Porter from Leeds brewed with speciality coffees. Absolutely stunning, right up my street.

Never had a kolsch I don't think. A type of German lager, I presume?

Back