• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Tonight's BeerBods has been seemingly selected by Alan Partridge - "I'll have a pint of bitter"

The Cronx Brewery, Standard - https://beerbods.co.uk/this-weeks-beer/the-cronx-brewery-standard/

beer_181692.jpg

Standard* was The Cronx’s first beer and is a full bodied British Best Bitter using Pale and Crystal malts with a touch of the darker malts for depth of flavour. It uses English hops for aroma and flavour.

It's not exactly making my balls tight with excitement, but hey I always taste with an open mind....

How about this picture of Prince Charles enjoying a sip?

prince-charles-cronx.jpg

Just grabbed that Beer52 offer too.

Also, must remember to cancel!

Just grabbed that Beer52 offer too.

Also, must remember to cancel!

Annoyingly, my mate got offered another £10 off when he went to cancel. That's when I tried again only to cancel with no last chance offer!

I think there's another £10 off voucher code knocking around online.

How about this picture of Prince Charles enjoying a sip?

prince-charles-cronx.jpg

Got a decent head on it ( the pint not Charlie)

Always like to see a nice label on a bottle which is silly really. Never had anything from Cronx, we await your verdict on this one.

Each year the editors of the Good Pub Guide also carry out a national survey of beer prices. This year, the annual survey shows the average price of a pint of beer in Britain is now £3.46 (up from £3.31 last year).

It also shows that Wales has the most “fair-priced beer” in the UK with an average pint costing £3.27.

This is compared to Essex’s £3.35, Buckinghamshire’s £3.61 and London’s £3.92.

Another finding of this year’s survey is that Britain’s ever-growing range of pubs brewing their own beer typically costs £2.98 a pint which is 48p less than the national average of a pint of beer.

Quote taken from here (which starts off as an article about my "local"). With the exception of anything from Brewdog, I can't remember the last time I paid £3.27 or so for a pint be it either here or the Midlands...

I drink in Brum city centre pretty often so that figure doesn't surprise me. Though I do very much enjoy paying £2.60 for a pint of Bathams in the Royal Exchange in Stourbridge. Now that is value for money.

Brewdog's prices are an absolute disgrace.

It's more than that for a pint in the Lych Gate in town. Probably still is in Yates's and the Royal London as well, not that I go there very often. Also more than that in the Crown in Codsall.

Yeah the Lych Gate is standard BCA prices - same as the Welly in Brum.

My brother (who lives in Sussex) was up here at the weekend and I took him for a pint in the Exchange. When he got a round of drinks in for 4 of us and got change from a tenner, he asked the barman if he'd missed someone out!

Brewdog's prices are crazy, yet you can pick up their bottles for less than £2 in the supermarkets.
Their beer is very very good, but as a brewery I'm not so keen.

Not sure if it's still on, but you could get brewdog punk ipa in tescos 4 bottles for £6 a couple of weeks ago. Very nice beer and the offer takes the edge of the piddly little bottles.

Brewdog's prices are crazy, yet you can pick up their bottles for less than £2 in the supermarkets.
Their beer is very very good, but as a brewery I'm not so keen.

It's quite good - no more than that. A lot of it is overpriced pap.

I do enjoy a bottle of Punk IPA but otherwise I'd leave it well alone.

In the top 5 breweries in the country IMO.

Not a fan of the Cronx. One to forget I think, very bland and a bit too lively. I don't think bitters stand up to bottle conditioning at all. Fortunately, the next 4 weeks look awesome, really looking forward to the IHL in particular.

I do enjoy a bottle of Punk IPA but otherwise I'd leave it well alone.

Every Brewdog beer I've had has been superb. You're getting rather curmudgeonly in your old age :D

Don't get the Brewdog hype at all really. Punk IPA and Dead Pony do nothing special for me. Sure they're nice enough beers but they're not ones I'd be rushing back for.

Pretty sure a pint of Punk IPA is £4.45 in the Hogshead in town, and that is not an expensive pub.

My local who I play pool for charge £3.30 a pint for lagers and bitters. It's expensive but they always seem to have people in there, even on weeknights.

Every Brewdog beer I've had has been superb. You're getting rather curmudgeonly in your old age :D

It's really nothing special at all!

I've tried plenty and whilst it's not undrinkable, put a different logo on it and call it 'Old Daves Pigswill Scratcher' and people would be saying exactly the same.

I'm all for new breweries and new flavours but I'll prefer to let my taste buds do the work... ;)

Back