• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

VdBQ6v4.png

You fusty old git. Get to Sainsbury's, spend £2 on a bottle of Harbour IPA and then come back to apologise :D

I've had it before and Harbour IPA is incredibly plain. The only Cornish ales that I've had that have anything about them are the occasional St Austells beer (Tribute or Proper Job - even then I'm unlikely to have them if there's something better on), or Spingos Ales from the Blue Anchor in Helston (which is very hard to find unfortunately - don't think it travels too well). Otherwise, they're just so bland.

The Cornish can do cider but they're crap at brewing ale.

Oh god. You've walked into one there, DDW.

I've had it before and Harbour IPA is incredibly plain. The only Cornish ales that I've had that have anything about them are the occasional St Austells beer (Tribute or Proper Job - even then I'm unlikely to have them if there's something better on), or Spingos Ales from the Blue Anchor in Helston (which is very hard to find unfortunately - don't think it travels too well). Otherwise, they're just so bland.

The Cornish can do cider but they're crap at brewing ale.

Well, I'm not about to argue against personal taste, but I'm amazed you think Harbour IPA is plain, especially compared to Proper Job and Tribute.

The one from last night was also superb but travelling distance is always going to be a problem for good cask I guess.

I don't drink real ale but I think Doombar is a bit average. Not as nice as that Slumbering Monk I had the other week.

???

I'm lost obviously!

Basically, I hate Doombar - not because it's the worst beer in the world because it isn't. It's just the most bland, average beer you can get yet it crops up everywhere and for some bizarre reason sells very well. You might as well be drinking John Smiths. There are literally no redeeming features to it whatsoever.

Basically, I hate Doombar - not because it's the worst beer in the world because it isn't. It's just the most bland, average beer you can get yet it crops up everywhere and for some bizarre reason sells very well. You might as well be drinking John Smiths. There are literally no redeeming features to it whatsoever.
Agreed. I thought it was quite bland and tasteless.

I guess I am living in the home of Pedigree though, which is quite a tangy number if you get a good pint of it.

I think the cascade was there in the aroma - not that I can distinguish that accurately, just going on what I have read.

Yeah, that's what I meant to write. Heavy cascade aroma but not much of it left in the taste.

I wasn't a fan of the lager when I tried it before but think I've only had it the once.

I'll happily drink the rum finish along with the original, and I was a big fan of last Christmas' seasonal Canadian Cherrywood finish, pretty hefty volume ~10% I think but had maple syrup in it so the sweetness of that cancelled it out. Still not seen I&G on tap anywhere yet, few more places seem to be carrying the bottles lately though including the pretty naff family/food chain pub we now play our Sunday morning football from, though I'm usually driving so can't take advantage. :(

I've not had their toasted oak IPA yet, that's supposed to be quite good and their Highland Ale is supposedly awesome but I've not seen it anywhere.

One of the Rubberbandits gave a friend of mine crabs. True story.

Proper Job

Proper Job is quite nice but Big Job is much better.

Golden Glow unlocked and...

the Western must sell some god awful Bathams if this is often seen to be better in there.

Regularly hearing how the Glow is better than Bathams in the Western. I rate Bathams quite high so I'd expect my first pint of Glow to be on that level. It's a solid 4/5 but I can't ever see it replacing a Bathams for me :)

Regularly hearing how the Glow is better than Bathams in the Western. I rate Bathams quite high so I'd expect my first pint of Glow to be on that level. It's a solid 4/5 but I can't ever see it replacing a Bathams for me :)

Gotcha.

I often say that you can't properly judge Bathams until you've tried one in a Bathams pub. There's a definite difference in the quality of it.

Glow is superb but if you were to offer me a Glow from a Holdens pub or a Bathams from a Bathams pub, I'd choose the latter every single time. It's unbeatable.

Supping Blue Monkey - Infinity in the Woodman in Brum.

Fantastic beer.

Back