• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

So, tonights BeerBods choice is Solapian Brewery, Oracle - https://beerbods.co.uk/this-weeks-beer/salopian-brewery-oracle/

SalopianOracle.jpg

I've had Salopian before, I think it was the Shropshire Gold so I'm not all that excited about this one. Hope I'm proved worng though. They seem like a forward thinking, yet traditional, brewery who have a few "craft" bottles in their line-up.

I don't like the rise of this pretentious nonsense printed on beer labels. So unnecessary.

Beer is getting more complex and wide-ranging Johnny. There has to be a differentiation in the descriptions on the label otherwise there's nothing really to chose one over the other. They can't all say "Golden ale made with hops".

I don't like the rise of this pretentious nonsense printed on beer labels. So unnecessary.

The vast majority of ales have brewers' tasting notes - they just don't always find their way onto the labels. Some of the Holdens ones I used to be sent were rather wordy. And like pretty much all of Machin's posts (not just the ones on this thread), it was difficult to work out what the fuck they were talking about.

I've had Salopian before, I think it was the Shropshire Gold so I'm not all that excited about this one. Hope I'm proved worng though. They seem like a forward thinking, yet traditional, brewery who have a few "craft" bottles in their line-up.

Lovely on tap is Oracle. They have it on in the Lych Gate fairly regularly.

3rd Birthday party. Get the beers in. :icon_lol:

Just picked up a bottle of Natural Selection - Bitter Descent. Natural Selection are obviously a gypsy brewing co as it says it's brewed at Stewart Brewing in Edinburgh. It's described as an American ESB which sounds interesting.

"This year’s flagship brew – an extra special bitter amped-up to American proportions, with all-British malts and all-American hops. It’s a beer of bitter descent. Golden, with hoppy citrus notes and a slight undertone of fresh blueberry and sweet malt. Malty sweetness at the beginning followed by a strong but not overpowering bitterness at the end. ABV: 5.1%"

Sounds nice.

No different to a tasting note on a bottle of wine?

Exactly and when you get those tasting 'notes' on the side of a £5 bottle of cooking wine it's all bollocks. And so is the case with a lot of beers.

Beer is getting more complex and wide-ranging Johnny. There has to be a differentiation in the descriptions on the label otherwise there's nothing really to chose one over the other. They can't all say "Golden ale made with hops".

Well yes, I realise that, but as Langers says, they're starting to get a bit wordy and nonsensical.

Exactly and when you get those tasting 'notes' on the side of a £5 bottle of cooking wine it's all bollocks. And so is the case with a lot of beers.

I'd be good at tasting notes that actually made sense.

Bathams Bitter: "Fucking nectar. Stop reading this and gerrit down yer neck."

Sharps Doombar: "As bland as a James Milner interview printed on the back of a beige packet of Ryvita."

Etc etc.

I could even ask Paddy to assist with some of the swear words.

That's be far more fun.

Golden Glow - session ale best enjoyed pre and post football. Consume plenty if a) there is a total belmer sitting next to you who you want to blank out or b) want to enhance the excellent football on show at Molineux

I paid £3.25 for a 330ml bottle so hardly the equivalent of a £5 bottle of wine.

You'd have a point if they started doing it on cans of Banks's Bitter or Lidl's own Golden Goose.

The vast majority of ales have brewers' tasting notes - they just don't always find their way onto the labels. Some of the Holdens ones I used to be sent were rather wordy. And like pretty much all of Machin's posts (not just the ones on this thread), it was difficult to work out what the fuck they were talking about.

Hey! My reviews are vivid and precise :D

You get what you pay for....

Yeah, but you're a "Bar Hunter" who works with a "Binary Warrior"!

Back