• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

The County? Absolute shite. Yeah, 'good old' John Smith "smoooooove" ��

Wasn't worth remembering the name of that pub tbh. Any pub with an Adam Johnson shirt on the wall isn't worth a visit.

There are plenty of great beers down in this neck of the woods beyond the average stuff that gets churned out by Skinners and Sharps etc but it can be pretty difficult to get your hands on. Too many of the local pubs stick with Doombar, Butcombe, Gem etc when there's a multitude of great beer in the area which is a great shame.

Cotleigh, Cheddar Ales, Exmoor Ales, Yeovil Ales, Glastonbury Ales, Forge (had a few too many from them at a beer festival in Ilfracombe and they were beautiful) are all fantastic from the south Somerset/Devon area.

Bristol is going absolutely bonkers for real ale at the moment and there are places opening up relentlessly. Bristol Beer Factory, Wiper and True and Arbor Ales are all wonderful, wonderful breweries who have a big presence in the city now. I'd recommend keeping an eye out for them if you can. Wiper and True are particularly good!

Wiper & True are making an ale especially for BeerBods. Just had this from them:

I love my job.
Yesterday I got to go and hang out with the lovely people at Wiper and True, one of the most exciting new breweries in the UK right now and based in the lovely city of Bristol.

Not only did I get to sample some amazing beers I also got to help them make one that will have its craft beer premier in your subscriber box soon. To say that we're excited about this is an understatement.

But it doesn't have a name and we need your help in coming up with one!

It's going to be a strong Saison (about 7% abv) with continental malts and made with a traditional farmhouse yeast. It will reflect the thirst quenching, dry beer that traditionally emanates from the Hainaut area of Belgium. We've then packed it full of New Zealand hops* to give it some big citrus and pine notes. It's going to be pretty special.

Machin, I'm going to take the plunge and subscribe to the next 12 weeks with BeerBods. There's an option on the website for a code if an existing member has referred you there, you want to give me yours?

Pale Rider is on at The Auctioneers, Lytham Road in Blackpool. £2.10 a pop!

Engineers Block by the Beer Shed Brewery - a fine ale which was really tasty

PG Sips by Blue Monkey - supposed to be intensely hoppy with tropical fruit notes. Could only taste a little bit of citrus in what was a flavour less pint. Shame as I'd heard good things about it.

If anybody is up Newcastle under lyme way then I can recommend the Sheet Anchor.

Just had a bottle of Turbodog. Not bad at all.

Machin, I'm going to take the plunge and subscribe to the next 12 weeks with BeerBods. There's an option on the website for a code if an existing member has referred you there, you want to give me yours?

STAYINGPUT

Welcome aboard :D

Edit: that's the renewal code for £3 off. Not sure about the referral code. I'll take a look and let you know.

Engineers Block by the Beer Shed Brewery - a fine ale which was really tasty

PG Sips by Blue Monkey - supposed to be intensely hoppy with tropical fruit notes. Could only taste a little bit of citrus in what was a flavour less pint. Shame as I'd heard good things about it.

If anybody is up Newcastle under lyme way then I can recommend the Sheet Anchor.
I had Engineers Block at the Jersey Beer Festival in September. Is that the Sheet Anchor at Baldwins Gate? I heard that it was just an eating olace now?

I had Engineers Block at the Jersey Beer Festival in September. Is that the Sheet Anchor at Baldwins Gate? I heard that it was just an eating olace now?

It is the same pub. They've extended the bs I and built a good restaurant on the back but have also refitted the snug and locals bar at the front. And become a free house. Top stuff Ledds when you're down this way.

Cheers Johnny. I shall give it a go. "Engineers Block" appears to be choice of Cheshire based artesans.

Last edited:
Sampled the following at the Cambridge Beer Festival, all top notch.

Arbor Ales Motueka - thanks Nando for the tip
Titanic Iceberg
Tydd Steam Barn Ale
Weird Beard K*ntish (sic) Town Beard
Dark Star Espresso Stout
Milton Orpheus
Sadler's Worcester Sorcerer

Pick of the bunch was the Barn Ale, which is local and I hadn't had before so I'll keep a look out for it. The Weird Beard wasn't far behind, which is unusual for a beer with a "wacky" name, also very hoppy. The stout was the only Dark Star they had left, but edged out by the Orpheus in the dark beer stakes, another local I hadn't had before

Delivered just in time for tomorrow:

IMAG1654.jpg

Beer Bods, the sequel.

Oh, and Lycan, I've found the referral code and sent it to you via PM.

That's an ace beer Machin. Lymestone are up by me (Stone, staffs) and the brewery tour is brilliant, but be prepared for a beast of a session!

Ah, gutted. Just gone to dig out my beer from my new Beer Bods box and I've got a bottle of 5% Ein Stein instead of the 7% Stoneman. Was looking forward to something a bit different.

Shame that, it's a cracking beer. If you haven't had one by the time the season starts I'll bring you one down the next time I see you at the game.

I'll hold you to that pal. The Ein Stein is pretty decent. Not got the wow factor I was looking forward to from a 7%er.

I keep reading "Abdominal" and thinking it must be a typo for "Abominable", but I guess not.

Back