• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Sunbeam and Abbeydale beers. Love them both.

Don't see the attraction with Sunbeam. Slightly below average IMO.

Abbeydale is excellent though. Been to the Unicorn for a Bathams which was spot on.

Had a couple of bottles of Old Crafty Hen this evening. Pretty decent. 6.5%, so decidedly not a session beer, but quite nice nonetheless.

Ossett Brewery Yorkshire Blonde and Rudgate Jorvik Blonde. Very good.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/...al-ale-fans-as-goal-post-pub-plan-faces-boot/

How is this possibly a 'boost for real ale fans' when it's a crap pub that serves crap beer?

It's like saying 'football fans rejoice as Emile Heskey rejoins the English league with Bolton'.

There is more chance of Deustch getting 'Doherty 2' on the back of his Wolves shirt than there is the Goal Post becoming a decent pub with good beer.

My E&S Landmark klaxon didn't go off reading that. They've clearly used up their allocation.

I did like the sentence

The pub, which sits on the corner of Waterloo Road and Staveley Road opposite the Molineux stadium, is an old matchday favourite for Wolves fans and is one of few match-day options remaining after the Wanderer was demolished and the Feathers was taken over by Wolverhampton University student union.

Yeah, there really is nowhere else to go before the game. Unless you fancy facing a gargantuan marathon 5 minute walk to numerous pubs and bars in the city centre, Chapel Ash etc etc.

Only ever been in The Goalpost once and that was enough for me.

Only ever been in The Goalpost once and that was enough for me.

Not what it used to be but a pub's a pub in my eyes - the more the merrier. Plus on the rare occasion I walk home (Bushbury) from the match it's always good to pop in for a pint and a piss as there is nowhere else between there and home to go for one now (not a member of ECC or Jones' Road)

Tried the latest Abbeydale beer "Jester" yesterday. Another thumbs up.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 last night. Like drinking gold.

Had a Hop Back: Citra and a Salamander: Wide Receiver in the Wellington. Both recommended.

And in my good deed for the day, I realised I'd been given £10 too much change originally so gave it back when I got my 2nd pint in, after I'd realised.

Thought Citra was made by Oakham?

They also do one called Citra. Which was also on the bar, coincidentally!

Citra is quite a common name for an ale.

I tried an Oakham Citra in The Wellington last time i was out in Brum after seeing it recommended in this thread, as I have with a few others too, but it really did nothing for me, as has been the case with pretty much everything I've tried from this thread to be honest! Coming to the realisation that this real ale lark isn't my bag, they all tend to taste a bit like someone has sprayed a bit of perfume or air freshener into them, to me anyway, too floral for my liking, I seem to prefer a stronger taste, took a real liking to that Innis & Gunn stuff with it's oak aged punch.

So is it time for me to call it a day on real ale sampling or are there other, stronger tasting alternatives out there for me to try?

I tried an Oakham Citra in The Wellington last time i was out in Brum after seeing it recommended in this thread, as I have with a few others too, but it really did nothing for me, as has been the case with pretty much everything I've tried from this thread to be honest! Coming to the realisation that this real ale lark isn't my bag, they all tend to taste a bit like someone has sprayed a bit of perfume or air freshener into them, to me anyway, too floral for my liking

I think you have just saved Penk from the angry mob for a bit

Not really - I just don't think it sounds like your thing TBH Mark. Each to their own. I thought Innis and Gunn was quite nice when I had one but not in the same league as a quality real ale around here.

Maybe try a darker ale which normally have a stronger flavour? Most people (myself included) enjoy a lighter, hoppier kind of beer. Give Sarah Hughes - Dark Ruby a try. Strong but incredibly tasty,

There's a definite love for citrus/floral/golden pale ales in this thread. Maybe you're more of a hoppy bitter / IPA drinker - I'm thinking Duechars IPA (bleurgh), Fullers Bengal Lancer.

There are plenty of real stouts and porters knocking around at the moment as well as some dark IPA's but I'm not really clued up on them - loads of selection in the big supermarkets. That might be more of your thing. Or maybe you're more into the classic bitters, like Greene King Abbot, Black Sheep, Adnams Broadside, Timothy Taylor Landlord etc.?

If you're looking for strong beers then some of the Ruby ales might be more up your street - Hobgoblin is the most popular but if you head over to Sedgley at any point, pop into the Beacon and try the Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild. Any pub will let you try before you buy.

What I recommend you do is pick up a selection St Peters Brewery bottles beer, sold in most Supermarkets and their range covers the lot:

Golden Ale
Grapefruit Ale
Organic Ale
Best Bitter
Ruby Ale
Mild
Cream Stout
Honey Porter
IPA
Old Style Porter
Spelt Blonde

And they come in cool shaped bottles too!

Absinthe has become quite popular again.

Not my cup of tea either, although the ~6 Euro bottle my mate bought from a corner shop in Ibiza was perhaps not a true representation of Absinthe.

Not really - I just don't think it sounds like your thing TBH Mark. Each to their own. I thought Innis and Gunn was quite nice when I had one but not in the same league as a quality real ale around here.

Maybe try a darker ale which normally have a stronger flavour? Most people (myself included) enjoy a lighter, hoppier kind of beer. Give Sarah Hughes - Dark Ruby a try. Strong but incredibly tasty,

I'll keep an eye out for it, i'll give a few darker ales a go in an attempt to prolong the experiment, the floral thing really is a bit of a killer for me to be fair, I can't stand honey for the same reason, so i suppose anything light and 'hoppy' is going to have the same issue for me.

Back