• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Villa (A) 21/9: Build-Up & Match Thread

Deutsch Wolf

Sponsored by Amazon Prime. DM me for discounts...
Reaction score
Lots of parallels to the City game last season. Off the back of a poor league start and a League Cup exit shipping three goals, with further tough fixtures on the horizon and us in desperate need of points...

We performed that alchemy last season but I'm less sure we can repeat the trick. We look so vulnerable all the time to everything, can you honestly see us keeping Villa at bay? They did have Europe in midweek but it was a cruise for them as soon as they went 1-0 up, so won't have taken too much out of them.

Left back all depends on fitness, please God let at least one of Toti or Ait-Nouri be fit as I'm in no mood to watch Matt Doherty again. And play a proper three man midfield FFS, we have the players to do it and you don't have to shovel anyone out of position to do it.

-----------------------Johnstone----------------------

Semedo-----------Mosquera------Dawson----Ait-Nouri

-----------------------André-----------------------------

---------------J Gomes--------Lemina-------------------

-----------Forbs-----Strand Larsen----Cunha-------------

2023/24: D 1-1 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2022/23: W 1-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2021/22: W 2-1 (H), W 3-2 (A)
2020/21: L 0-1 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2019/20: W 2-1 (H), W 1-0 (A), L 1-2 (A, LC)
2017/18: W 2-0 (H), L 1-4 (A)
2016/17: W 1-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2011/12: L 2-3 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2010/11: L 1-2 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2009/10: D 1-1 (H), D 2-2 (A)
2003/04: L 0-4 (H), L 2-3 (A)
1995/96: L 0-1 (A, LC)

Would be typical Wolves to go and win this. I have no confidence they will.
Oh for the days when we could go anywhere in the Prem and give the opposition a hard game.

For absolutely no reason I have a genuine worry that this will be the game where GO will do the classic struggling manager insane move (the Lage putting Neves to CB moment) and play Hwang.

I doubt lightning will strike twice in two seasons, just when we need it most.

I'm expecting a limp defeat to nil personally. Either 1-0 or 2-0.

I'd go with DW's team, but expect nothing other than an absolute pasting. Our defence against their attacking movement? Yikes.

For absolutely no reason I have a genuine worry that this will be the game where GO will do the classic struggling manager insane move (the Lage putting Neves to CB moment) and play Hwang.

If he does after that performance last night GON deserves everything he's got coming to him

If the midfield 3 are all to start then it has to be in that formation. No shoehorning one out wide / number 10. I have a feeling Gomes played last night because he's not on Saturday, although it's not what I'd do

Lots of parallels to the City game last season. Off the back of a poor league start and a League Cup exit shipping three goals, with further tough fixtures on the horizon and us in desperate need of points...

We performed that alchemy last season but I'm less sure we can repeat the trick. We look so vulnerable all the time to everything, can you honestly see us keeping Villa at bay? They did have Europe in midweek but it was a cruise for them as soon as they went 1-0 up, so won't have taken too much out of them.

Left back all depends on fitness, please God let at least one of Toti or Ait-Nouri be fit as I'm in no mood to watch Matt Doherty again. And play a proper three man midfield FFS, we have the players to do it and you don't have to shovel anyone out of position to do it.

-----------------------Johnstone----------------------

Semedo-----------Mosquera------Dawson----Ait-Nouri

-----------------------André-----------------------------

---------------J Gomes--------Lemina-------------------

-----------Forbs-----Strand Larsen----Cunha-------------

2023/24: D 1-1 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2022/23: W 1-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2021/22: W 2-1 (H), W 3-2 (A)
2020/21: L 0-1 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2019/20: W 2-1 (H), W 1-0 (A), L 1-2 (A, LC)
2017/18: W 2-0 (H), L 1-4 (A)
2016/17: W 1-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2011/12: L 2-3 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2010/11: L 1-2 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2009/10: D 1-1 (H), D 2-2 (A)
2003/04: L 0-4 (H), L 2-3 (A)
1995/96: L 0-1 (A, LC)

This is my team.

But I think GON will start Guedes somewhere.

Probably at left back.

Guedes should be first sub for Larsen and no more. We need to play actual wide players, not DMs shoehorned out there.

Back