• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

I do not normally go for crime novels, but I was recommended "The two minute rule" by Robert Crais. I am thoroughly enjoying it, it moves along very quickly, though I think the ending may be predictable.

The Family Secrets Of Doris Duke, Too Rich.

Bit of a one was our Doris !

I'm enjoying Haruki Murakami's work at the moment. The Wind Up Bird Chronicles was excellent

Adam Begley's 'Updike' biography about John Updike '

An enjoyable and interesting read.

I've got bill brysons 1927 a summer in America on the go,600 pages,I'm 2 days in and over halfway through,it's the summer of Lindberghs first solo flight across the Atlantic,babe Ruth conquering baseball,Henry ford making a cock up of car building,jack Dempsey bursting onto the boxing scene,prohibition and loads of other stuff all linking in. I'm not selling it well I admit,but it's a good real easy read,as is most of brysons books,and it was on a buy one get one half price in wolves waterstones. The peoples records by Stuart maconie was the other I bought,again his books always worth a read as well

I'm just reading the Bill Bryson as well. It's a fabulous book. He writes as if he is chatting to you in the pub.
Full of great history, very funny in places and it brings the 1920's to life.
Absolutely excellent.

Got a load of stuff loaded up to the kindle for my hols but I am taking a couple of dead tree books with me as well. Picked up Perdido Street Station by China Mieville, which I am really looking forward to. Heard a lot of good stuff about the author and reading the first chapter I was hugely impressed by the evocative nature of the writing. Descriptively very powerful - I could really imagine I was in a city a la Blade Runner just from the brilliant vocabulary used.

so what did you reckon to perdido in the end. great 'villain' concepts?

I do not normally go for crime novels, but I was recommended "The two minute rule" by Robert Crais. I am thoroughly enjoying it, it moves along very quickly, though I think the ending may be predictable.

My mistake. The ending was totally unexpected.

You'll find it in the Fiction section.

With the first world war in the news, may I recommend "Damn the Dardenelles" by John Laffin. An exceptional book that describes the futility of the Gallipoli campaign. And believe me, it pulls no punches.

The Secret Footballer.

Shite. Basically, it could be a synopsis of Footballers Wives as there's absolutely no substance to 90% of the anecdotes in the book, so is essentialy several chapters of baseless gossip which isn't particularly well written. I can't really get too enthralled with "when I was at my 4th club there was a very well known player who didn't get on with the manager of this club". What?! Are we supposed to fill this in ourselves or something?

I find it a really pointless book that will only be enjoyed by people who scour the tabloid rumours for football gossip.

Dave Kitson won't be impressed with that review

Back