• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

Decided to go to the top so asked Bernard Cornwell himself for any recommendations via his website.

So it's the Warrior Chronicles next for me then.

The Saxon stories by Cornwall are also a good read - 1st one being 'The Last Kingdom'.

The complete box set of A Game Of Thrones. 2 down, another 5 to go.

Thoughts so far?

Bloody brilliant Langers. By far the best Fantasy novels I have ever read . Didn't think I would enjoy them as much as watching the DVD's but I was wrong. Just started book 3 . Excellently written, and keeps your attention for hours, and if a writer can do that for me then it must be good !! :)

Bloody brilliant Langers. By far the best Fantasy novels I have ever read . Didn't think I would enjoy them as much as watching the DVD's but I was wrong. Just started book 3 . Excellently written, and keeps your attention for hours, and if a writer can do that for me then it must be good !! :)

Book 3 is my favourite. I'm assuming your box set has split books 3 and 5?

Yes Langers they do.

I think I would rate them - in order from best to worst - thus:

A Storm of Swords (book 3)
A Dance With Dragons (book 5)
A Game of Thrones (book 1)
A Clash of Kings (book 2)
A Feast For Crows (book 4)

Last couple of books I've read were Time & Again by Jack Finney and Empire Falls by Richard Russo. Time & Again was an excellent time travel novel and Empire Falls was set in small town northeast America with plenty of excellent characterisation.

Now just started The Draining Lake by Arnaldur Indridason which is book 4 in his thoroughly enjoyable Icelandic detective series. I would recommend his books to any fan of Nordic crime fiction.

I'll have to try them T-Dan. I liked Larsson and Nesbo is it similar?

They are quite slow paced rather than action packed so probably more like Nesbo's earlier books. I like both Larsson and Nesbo (can't wait to read Police, especially after the ending of the last one!) and really like Indridason too. Jar City is the first in the series and well worth checking out.

I would also recommend Jan Costin Wagner. He is German but his books are based around a Finnish detective. Ice Moon is the first in that series.

With all these different series, the main problem I have is remembering the background to each detective without getting them muddled up!

If anyone likes 'legal' thrillers ALA John Grisham - have just read one by Mark Gimenez called the Common Lawyer. A very good read & convoluted enough to be interesting all the way through.

An oldie I just re-read: Straw Dogs by David M Williams. Good thriller.

Nineteen Twenty One by Adam Thorpe. A story of a young writer who wants to write a novel about the great war. Slow start, but gradually builds up with haunting descriptions of the deserted battlefields of Flanders.

Now just started The Draining Lake by Arnaldur Indridason which is book 4 in his thoroughly enjoyable Icelandic detective series. I would recommend his books to any fan of Nordic crime fiction.

Just finished this one. Best in the Detective Erlendur series so far (out of the 4 that I've read). Set in Iceland but had a great back story going on involving East Germany in the 50's and 60's.

Onto Jo Nesbo's The Bat now. I've read all from Redbreast - Phantom so far and am looking forward to going back to the 1st in the series.

Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Chiidren & the second one, Hollow City.

What weird and wonderful books :)

Sue Townsend has sadly passed away.

The Adrian Mole series is one of my all-time favourites. Especially the first 3 books.

Sad news - RIP.

Sad news indeed. I loved the Adrian Mole books and still go back to reading them occasionally now.

Finished The Bat (and was surpised by how good it was, for some reason I thought it wouldn't live up to the others as it was the 1st one). I am now seeing what the fuss is all about with the Jack Reacher books. 100 pages into Killing Floor and I am hooked! How on earth Tom Cruise managed to get cast as Reacher is beyond me (sorry, for reminding you about that Langers). Thankfully, I haven't seen the film so can build my own Cruise-less profile of Reacher.

Finished The Bat (and was surpised by how good it was, for some reason I tohught it wouldn't live up to the others as it was the 1st one). I am now seeing what the fuss is all about with the Jack Reacher books. 100 pages into Killing Floor and I am hooked! How on earth Tom Cruise managed to get cast as Reacher is beyond me (sorry, for reminding you about that Langers). Thankfully, I haven't seen the film so can build my own Cruise-less profile of Reacher.

I made a promise that I'd watch the film if Wolves went up. I shall honour my word but I can't promise I won't rant if it's as bad as I'm expecting it to be.

Back