• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

Giacomo Leopardi

I'm reading ,Zibaldone .It was Giacomo Leopardi's last book. I had only read his poetry , before .

Currently perusing "Voices from the Battle of Britain" by Henry Buckton. An excellent account of the battle in the words of those involved.

Just finished The Spanish Guru by CR Preston. A funny book, but also a good read. With the main characters name being Leborio Borzelini how can it not be !

I'm currently reading a book on Andre the giant, his life is a sad yet interesting story, Andre and Hulk Hogan in 1987 drew 93 thousand people to watch them perform.

51WzlrIe9OL.jpg

I am currently reading Wheels of Terror by Sven Hassel. I wanted to remember what it was like to be 14 again... And you know what? It's actually a pretty good book and surprisingly well written compared to what I remembered or thought I remembered of the Sven Hassel books.

I am currently plowing my lonely furrow through Nelson De Mille's latest book, 'The Quest'.
I've got and read ALL of his books but this one and the one before are tedious in the extreme.
He's really lost his mojo.

Very long tracts of dialogue and background and he's trading on his 'witty' style far too much.
Not recommended.

But all his earlier books are for sure. Most of them being excellent and really gripping....

Judge Dredd the Complete Case Files. I now have volumes 1-16. I remember reading the first five volumes when they came out, as I collected 2000AD at least up to the Apocalypse War. Going back to them now is ace.

DREDD IS THE LAW. Stallone can get to fucking fuck, and the newer film, while spectacularly graphic and violent in places doesn't really nail the mega-city of my imagination in any way like the real comics either.

Judge Dredd the Complete Case Files. I now have volumes 1-16. I remember reading the first five volumes when they came out, as I collected 2000AD at least up to the Apocalypse War. Going back to them now is ace.

DREDD IS THE LAW. Stallone can get to fucking fuck, and the newer film, while spectacularly graphic and violent in places doesn't really nail the mega-city of my imagination in any way like the real comics either.

Agreed. I had a few 2000AD annuals as a kid, was really excited when I saw there was a movie coming out in 95, then remember thinking how terrible it was, even at the age of 11. It was nothing like the comics. The Pit and America:The Fading of the Light are my fave Dredd stories

I have ordered America as it doesn't feature in the Complete Case Files (JD isn't technically the lead character....).

Came home today and my Amazon boxes contained collections of Strontium Dog, Slaine, Rogue Trooper and Anderson: Psi-Division. 2000AD-tastic. It was a truly great comic and I am loving re-reading these stories. Now I must just order some Nemesis the Warlock!

I finished this a bit ago, highly recommend

20131002-16270378-1.jpg

27! Plus the Count of Monte Cristo is on my bookcase and I haven't got round to it yet.

25 - which really surprised me!!

I didn't enjoy them all mind you. Moby Dick is a turgid read, for example.

Anyone a Bernard Cornwell fan?

I've completed the Grail Quest, 1356 and i'm half way through Azincourt, that's the lot with regard to the 100 yrs war, so i was wondering what to move on to.

have i read "The chronicles of narnia Audio collection"??

and then separately to that "the lion the witch and the wardrobe"?

i've started 27, i definitely haven't finished 27. moby dick ffs

sorry, have to post it again :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMjrXRgu8IU

Decided to go to the top so asked Bernard Cornwell himself for any recommendations via his website.

So it's the Warrior Chronicles next for me then.

The Book Thief. Enjoyed the book more than the film.

Back