• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

2024 General Election Thread

Who did you Vote For

• Labour

Votes: 35 63.6%
  • Tory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lib Dem

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Green

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Farage Ltd

• Serious Independent

• Plaid Cymru

• SNP

• One of the Niron ones

• Count Binface

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Mr Baked Bean Face

• Other Strange Party/Independent

• Total voters
Weirdly, Sunak seems to get most traction by kerp harping on about Labour increasing taxes and immigration. Erm, you mean the stuff you and your mates have been fucking up for the last 14 years.

Interesting stats out from HMRC:

- Number of basic and savers rate taxpayers rises 6.8% versus 2021/22, to 29.9 million in 2024/25 [so over £12,570 earnings - ML]

- Number of higher rate taxpayers rises 42.6% versus 2021/22, to 6.3 million in 2024/25 [so over £50,270]

- Number of additional rate taxpayers rises 117.1% versus 2021/22, to 1.13 million in 2024/25 [so over £125,140]

Interesting stats out from HMRC:

- Number of basic and savers rate taxpayers rises 6.8% versus 2021/22, to 29.9 million in 2024/25 [so over £12,570 earnings - ML]

- Number of higher rate taxpayers rises 42.6% versus 2021/22, to 6.3 million in 2024/25 [so over £50,270]

- Number of additional rate taxpayers rises 117.1% versus 2021/22, to 1.13 million in 2024/25 [so over £125,140]
People don't seem to realise they're paying more tax as a result of this.

But I also know people who brag about paying 40% tax. So maybe people are thinking "i must be rich because I'm in a higher tax bracket"

Personally, F that noise though, salary sacrifice to keep more of your hard earned!

Even if you don't cross a tax bracket, salary increases get taxed more than if the boundaries were raised at the same time.

FWIW - I think Reform are going to surprise a few people with how many votes they get

I fully expect them (Reform) to rack up sizeable numbers in terms of the popular vote. UKIP already did before, they got 12% or so in 2015.

Seats, I don't think so.

They could get anywhere between 0 and 25 seats based on the polls (lots of Lab/Con seats where they could in theory come through the middle), but like all the other seat projections right now it's a total crapshoot because FPTP breaks down when things get this weird.

Like, honestly, look at YouGov's latest from today:

• Lab: 36% (-1 from 19-20 Jun)
  • Con: 18% (-1)
  • Reform UK: 17% (-1)
  • Lib Dem: 15% (+2)
  • Green: 8% (+2)
  • SNP: 3% (=)

The fuck is that? Put it into a seat predictor and it'll cry.

Also the big big polling question for next week isn't shy Tories, it's whether those Reform numbers are as soft as UKIP's were in 2015. They were regularly polling in the mid-teens back then, but they also consistently failed to translate that national "support" into actual votes in by- or general elections.

We have no idea if that's still the case after everything that's happened in the intervening years. My suspicion is it will hold up more now, but I'd be lying if I said that was a confident prediction.

Going for the Daily Mail comments vote then

Surely anyone who drinks sherry these days is at least 85 years old?
The Tories are very strong with the geriatric vote.

Genuinely never had a sherry, I'll put it on the very last part of my bucket list.

I don't care if you never ever listen to another single recommendation I give you until one of us dies. But listen to this one.

Don't do it.

Back