• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

2024 General Election Thread

Who did you Vote For

• Labour

Votes: 35 63.6%
  • Tory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lib Dem

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Green

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Farage Ltd

• Serious Independent

• Plaid Cymru

• SNP

• One of the Niron ones

• Count Binface

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Mr Baked Bean Face

• Other Strange Party/Independent

• Total voters
The problem with Labour campaigning with the Conservatives is that it draws people who want to give present government a kicking away from the reason of the argument. The independence referendum in Scotland was following a similar path until Gordon Brown gave an impassioned speech on the advantages of the union staying together. The difference there is that the Scot’s were open to reason. The more jingoistic sections of English society saw it as a chance to reminisce about the war, supposedly a time where everything was so much better, wave a flag and tell anyone without a white face or who spoke a foreign language that they weren’t welcome. Welsh speaking folk and our ethnic populations were swiftly turned upon by arseholes the day after the result.

This is my point. Well off people are voting labour. Start telling them your taking another 5-10% and they won’t.
How about instead of trying to win the votes of the high earners, a small percentage of the population, try to win the votes of the majority, by actually pledging to do things that will actually make a material benefit to their existence? This is the problem isnt it: they are tailoring their campaign to the few not the many. It's ass backwards for the Labour Party.

How about instead of trying to win the votes of the high earners, a small percentage of the population, try to win the votes of the majority, by actually pledging to do things that will actually make a material benefit to their existence? This is the problem isnt it: they are tailoring their campaign to the few not the many. It's ass backwards for the Labour Party.
I agree with the sentiment but who controls the media narrative to get that view across? Those who want to engage will but there’s a huge portion of the population who can’t be arsed and end up listening to pricks like Farage and looking at headlines in the right wing press.

The problem with Labour campaigning with the Conservatives is that it draws people who want to give present government a kicking away from the reason of the argument
Our stupid electorate handed Cameron a sorely undeserved majority a mere one year before the Brexit referendum. What could have changed between those two dates? There wasn't the appetite to give them a kicking per se (not one beyond that which they permanently deserve, the chinless cunts) because nothing had changed and they'd been sufficiently popular to win.

Our stupid electorate handed Cameron a sorely undeserved majority a mere one year before the Brexit referendum. What could have changed between those two dates? There wasn't the appetite to give them a kicking per se (not one beyond that which they permanently deserve, the chinless cunts) because nothing had changed and they'd been sufficiently popular to win.
Marxists and bacon sandwiches. The treatment of Milliband and his family was horrendous yet people couldn’t be arsed to look at the swinging cuts that were going to be baked into the next government.
Theres huge amounts that believe that cutting benefits of those with 19 kids and foreign aid is enough to balance the books of the nation.

2015 was such a ridiculous result. The Tory manifesto genuinely had the message of "we'll cut £12bn from welfare, but we won't tell you exactly how until we win".

Then ostensibly middle-class people on tax credits realised the face-eating leopard was actually going to eat their face. Imagine.

The Sky News report reads:

Many more people than the leading Tories already identified are being investigated by the gambling regulator in relation to bets on the date of the general election, Sky News understands.
And in a major new development, the watchdog has widened its inquiries to investigate whether people with inside knowledge may have asked a third party to place a bet for them.
Sky News also understands that investigators have written to leading bookmakers asking for details of bets of £20 or more on the election date within days of Rishi Sunak announcing it on 22 May.

I know that it wasn’t quite the fait accompli that an election date is but I hope they don’t look more deeply into the first manager to leave markets of last season.

Your contributions always add so much to the debate.
I’m genuinely interested in why you are so dead certain you are right? I don’t know what is right or wrong, but I do think zealotry is unhelpful whatever your view. I’m guessing you are not an economist so I would like to understand why you are so set that your view is right?

They already have those votes

Instead of pandering to monied old bastards looking to consolidate their wealth by maintaining the status quo would it not be better for Labour to partner with say Patriotic Millionaires UK who actively encourage a wealth tax to justify increasing taxes to fund the public services obliterated in the last 14 years?

PMUK research has shown many of the wealthiest in the UK support a wealth tax and but politicians and the treasury have no appetite for it yet 2% increase would raise an annual 22bn or £423m per week. Maybe they could even put it on the side of a bus.

If it turns out PMUK are talking the talk safe in the knowledge they wont ever have to put up then fuck 'em.

Easy to confidently assert what the best option is when we're all sat on our arses typing on our phones.

But unfortunately I think projecting that you're going to radically upset the status quo when you're in opposition is likely a recipe for even more time in opposition.

Look how the right wing press (ie most of them) lose their shit over even this moderate Labour offer

I'm not sure Right Wing Press is actually the title. They are clearly the Tory press, as some are turning against the frog faced wanker now he is seen as the other threat that could lead to a wipe out.

From leeds for Europe

How others see us...

"For a German audience currently staring with disbelief at an upsurge of far-right populism on its own doorstep, the British elections are mostly a reminder of where the destructive cluelessness of populist politicians can lead a country. Nothing you want to look at too closely, when you are potentially just at the beginning of such a turn of events yourself.

But then there is something else. It’s not that Labour’s Keir Starmer is boring, as is often complained about here in London. (No, boring is good in Germany. It’s the ultimate German virtue.) The current mix of slight lack of interest and amazement in Germany stems from something different. It is the rather bizarre fact that nobody seems either able or willing to talk about what has happened since the 2016 referendum to leave the EU. Brex-omertà is a fascinating phenomenon, but one that is rather hard to explain in Hamburg or Berlin. It is a cliche, but we tend to acknowledge our problems, then try to develop strategies to fix them. This, however, is not what Britain generally, nor the Labour party specifically, has decided to do. And most of the UK media weirdly plays along."

Because it's an absolute tinderbox. You have millions of people who think they "won" there in 2016 and like fuck will they have that taken off them.

Of course objectively we should say it's been a disaster, a largely Tory disaster at that and reverse as much as we can as quickly as we can. But it doesn't work like that.

The Telegraph reporting this morning that the Met are responsible for the Gambling Commission leaks and implies that "The force may be accused of interfering with the outcome of the election" The Met have denied the claims. The brass neck of them to put the emphasis of the story on the leak rather than the those who surround the PM having their noses in a trough making money illegally from sensitive information.
Also, despite record numbers of people crossing the Channel by boats so far this year to seek asylum, the Telegraph's intrepid reporters are in Dunkirk and have uncovered that a proportion of the well informed migrants are sitting tight and waiting for the Election result before making the journey. Sunak and his Cabinet Ministers have already jumped on the story by stating there's queue's already forming in Calais waiting for a Starmer Government.
Project fear to come in the final week of the campaigning and I wouldn't put it past them to have a Farage style breaking point poster with waiting for a Labour Government on it.

Back