• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

2024 General Election Thread

Who did you Vote For

• Labour

Votes: 35 63.6%
  • Tory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lib Dem

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Green

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Farage Ltd

• Serious Independent

• Plaid Cymru

• SNP

• One of the Niron ones

• Count Binface

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Mr Baked Bean Face

• Other Strange Party/Independent

• Total voters
They're such a bunch of fucking chancers. Sad thing is it does cut through. On NewsAgents the other day they recorded a focus group (50+ conservative leaning women, having been the identified as the most undecided group) and the tax stuff may as well have been on page one of the manifesto. One woman literally said she was "absolutely terrified" of all the tax Labour are putting up, and how immigration is going to be ten times worse under Labour, and that Starmer was also possibly pretending not to be a multi millionaire to make himself seem different to Sunak. Some cunt also said Farage was brilliant on I'm A Celebrity, and just tells it like it is. I fucking hate people

As much as we all bitch at each other on this sub-forum sometimes, I bet 90% of us are actually very closely aligned politically when it comes down to it.

Problem is, there are a lot of people in the UK who have a completely different political bent and very different priorities and triggers, and you have to factor in and engage with that if you want to form a government. That's why it's always such a bloody big challenge to get anyone but the Tories in number 10

Amidst the nuance… stuck down 7 hours of leafleting for Labour yesterday and got the same again today. On a quick break after the first hour now. Hot hot work! Also, we’re not even a target seat. However, when I’m flagging, I’ve got to hand it to the outgoing scum - they’ve given me plenty of motivation to press on.

Come on, fuck the Tories!

Tory party withdraws support from two candidates accused of suspect election date bets

The Conservative party is no longer backing Craig Williams and Laura Saunders, the two candidates who have been accused of making suspect bets on the timing of the election, the BBC is reporting.

The party has taken the decision on the basis of what it has uncovered during its inquiries into the allegations, the BBC says.

Its taken a hell of a long time to suspend someone who admitted on camera to placing a bet and apologising for it.

I thought we had to wait until the Sue Gray report Gambling Commission had completed their independent inquiry?

One of them or both could still win the seats and have to be independent. They certainly won’t count toward the Conservative numbers

I thought we had to wait until the Sue Gray report Gambling Commission had completed their independent inquiry?

I wonder if Laura Saunders will threaten legal action against the Conservative Party like she threatened to do against the BBC?

I wonder if James Cleverley is getting just a little bit pig sick of doing a media round defending Sunak's position on something, only for short round to flip a few hours later and make Cleverley look like a dick.

Amazing stat I read today in some polling analysis: due to age polarisation, 10% of 2019 Tory voters are now dead, but it's only 3% for Labour.

I'm sure I've been seeing claims that a rerun of the referendum - with everyone still alive voting exactly the same - would deliver a win for Remain since 2017/18 or so, since it was so close (and also so massively polarised by age).

The failure of the broadcasters to pay for an exit poll in 2016 has long frustrated a lot of deeper analysis of voting patterns, though. Have to rely on people being honest about which way they went when asked by later pollsters, which is never as accurate.

It's estimated that 10% of those who vote leave had died by 2023

What's really worrying is popularity of Reform amongst 12-16 year olds. My step-daughter's 15 and said a good 1/3 of her year want reform to win, and I read about a "poll of polls" from teachers who are doing mock elections, stating alarming popularity.

Obviously that's just people parroting their parents/carers views, but still. It's certainly not just going to die with the boomers

What's really worrying is popularity of Reform amongst 12-16 year olds. My step-daughter's 15 and said a good 1/3 of her year want reform to win, and I read about a "poll of polls" from teachers who are doing mock elections, stating alarming popularity.

Obviously that's just people parroting their parents/carers views, but still. It's certainly not just going to die with the boomers
Yeah, AfD get a fair chunk of young support in Germany too, and look how disturbingly popular Andrew Tate apparently is/was with teenage boys.

Like any shitheel populist, Farage offers laughably simplistic solutions to complex issues and would be completely clueless if you ever actually gave him a job to do, but it cuts through to those who aren't all that engaged or educated. Plus as you say, a fair bit will be just filtered straight down from their parents.

It's a little conspiracy theory of mine but i think the tories tried to make it harder for people to go to university as people who go to university seem more likely to vote Labour.

You would imagine that if these younger folk go to university their views might change somewhat given access to more opportunity for critical thinking skills.

Just for the record, my old man died last year aged 97, he voted remain.

I'm definitely guilty of influencing my kids view on politics. When I mentioned to my 12 year old daughter the other day that the Conservatives only have a couple of weeks left of being in charge she celebrated as if school had been cancelled for the rest of the term!

UKIP won my school's mock general election by a landslide in 2005. It was the banter outcome - even as kids we could see that it would be the thing to annoy the teachers the most. Obviously only one data point but I'd be shocked if it's really that different now.

What does seem to be different is the proliferation of "men's rights" influencers like Andrew Tate on social media, earning a wider audience, but I'm sceptical of the staying power of that kind of stuff for people once they go out into the real world. Feels like the latest evolution in kids being little shits for kicks (and hopefully this isn't wishing thinking).

Back