• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

2024 General Election Thread

Who did you Vote For

• Labour

Votes: 35 63.6%
  • Tory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lib Dem

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Green

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Farage Ltd

• Serious Independent

• Plaid Cymru

• SNP

• One of the Niron ones

• Count Binface

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Mr Baked Bean Face

• Other Strange Party/Independent

• Total voters
UKIP won my school's mock general election by a landslide in 2005. It was the banter outcome - even as kids we could see that it would be the thing to annoy the teachers the most. Obviously only one data point but I'd be shocked if it's really that different now.
I suppose the difference with my adolescence is that you didn't have a UKIP or a Reform. I was 16 for the 1997 GE and most of us in our school year were becoming at least a bit politically aware - but there was no "disruptor" for want of a better word. The BNP were around but everyone knew they were just racist cunts, you couldn't dress that up as banter.

Chief of Culture War Bollocks more like.

I know it's classless/ist of me but fuck me do I find it hard to take 'classical/opera/arts' bellends seriously. Get the fuck over yourself, stick some Oasis on crack a can open ya pompous fuck, you're not fooling anyone.

A couple of months ago I replied to @Kenny on WhatsApp with "sorry I didn't get back to you last night, I was at a poetry evening" (which was true).

I think he's still confused now.

Bit of inverse snobbery on here sometimes😁
I am terrible for it tbf. But me in front of somebody that's 'classically' educated/posh and every single ioata of my consciousness just screams "YOU MUST PROVE YOURSELF TO BE AT LEAST THEIR EQUAL" until I A; get the validation I feed off, or B: say something wildly inappropriate for the situation. One of those things happens far more than the other, obviously

According to Jon Sopel on the News Agents podcast, he's heard from varying sources that Sunak has been unpleasant/petulant/angry behind the scenes at some of Election Leader specials. This has been to the presenters themselves and to the production teams. It hasn't been reported elsewhere as yet but you can see in his face that he's had enough and checked out a couple of weeks ago. I'd imagine it will all come out in the post election analysis of (hopefully!) where it all went wrong.

Wales has its own Tony Field!

IMG-20240625-151219179.jpg

Alistair Jack the Tory Scottish Secretary has won over £2k betting on the date of the election

but he hasn't done anything wrong...
Undoubtedly. Anyone in the room when such decisions are made (or knows all of the people making the decision if made elsewhere) can’t possibly have any insider knowledge of such things.

15 Conservatives under investigation by the gambling Commission over the Election betting scandal.

Newsnight saying up to 15 Tory Candidates now under scrutiny.
Beat me to it. ;)

I am terrible for it tbf. But me in front of somebody that's 'classically' educated/posh and every single ioata of my consciousness just screams "YOU MUST PROVE YOURSELF TO BE AT LEAST THEIR EQUAL" until I A; get the validation I feed off, or B: say something wildly inappropriate for the situation. One of those things happens far more than the other, obviously
Start by spelling iota right.

Yours
Latin and Greek scholar

What's really worrying is popularity of Reform amongst 12-16 year olds. My step-daughter's 15 and said a good 1/3 of her year want reform to win, and I read about a "poll of polls" from teachers who are doing mock elections, stating alarming popularity.

Obviously that's just people parroting their parents/carers views, but still. It's certainly not just going to die with the boomers
In the 1980s newsround did their own "polling " of viewers through at least one election. The results were overwhelming landslides for the green party across the nation.
Those kids sadly didn't hold those intentions into adulthood.

Back