• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Huddersfield - Build Up & Match Thread

Was Saiss really that bad then. Shame, thought he had potential to be good here. TBH I still hope he gets a chance in a re-formed team.

No not really, He at least didnt hide and does stop and look up to try and pick a pass forwards.
Yeah it didnt come off for him most of the times but at least i knew he was on the pitch,i couldnt tell you one thing Edwards did on saturday.
Hes also not shy to give team mates a bollocking for not offering themselves.

From Britney:

Understand there's no injury issues for Jordan Graham so the fact he isn't with U23s tonight suggests he may be in first team squad tomorrow

Some mixed feelings then. Had such an up and down season I think people's thoughts can change often too.

I hope he gets a solid run and shows he is a player.

From Britney:

Understand there's no injury issues for Jordan Graham so the fact he isn't with U23s tonight suggests he may be in first team squad tomorrow

Whey. That's 1. Possible. Probably not.

If Silvio were to play LB or RB for the last few games and was competent enough - would people be happy to see him signed?

Not for me, you can't say it's his fault that he broke his foot in training but his history is such that he can't be relied on fitness wise.

On Saiss, giving him a run of games isn't going to make him any quicker. I don't think he'd get near any top 10 midfield in this division. Same with any of our CMs.

Kevin McDonald never had that great of an engine..

Yet playing in a midfield three he is having a good season in a team playing as well as anyone in the Championship. Highlighting the fact that if you pass and retain the ball well your legs tend to run a lot less than the opposition. Little wonder he got pissed off with the kind of system of play at Wolves that rewards hoofball.

McDonald didn't generally take eons to release the ball though, which Saiss does a hell of a lot. Gets him into loads of trouble. He isn't skilful enough to work his way out of a tight space either, if he's closed down then forget it.

He's not helped by his partner invariably being a non-footballer but you can't exempt him from criticism, I don't think he's had more than 3-4 good games for us. For a biggish money signing that just isn't good enough, we aren't giving Bod a free pass and he's had more good performances (albeit virtually all of them were in August and September).

McDonald didn't generally take eons to release the ball though, which Saiss does a hell of a lot. Gets him into loads of trouble. He isn't skilful enough to work his way out of a tight space either, if he's closed down then forget it.

He's not helped by his partner invariably being a non-footballer but you can't exempt him from criticism, I don't think he's had more than 3-4 good games for us. For a biggish money signing that just isn't good enough, we aren't giving Bod a free pass and he's had more good performances (albeit virtually all of them were in August and September).

Could be the way has been coached, taught to play, to have patience on the ball while your team mates work at creating a passing option. But this is Wolves and they are more likely to stop and stare. Hasn't as yet adapted.

They're both very similar in the Sense they are horrendously one footed, slow and can pick a pass.

McDonald was much better at it, and when he did get himself into trouble was normally pretty good at getting out of it. Whereas Saiss will lose it and invariably lead to a decent chance for the opposition.

I'm starting to have doubts about Saiss TBH - undoubtedly there's some talent there, but as well as being so bloody slow, some of the passes he attempts are really bloody dangerous. I remember him gifting Rotherham a 1-on-1, some of his passes on Saturday were dreadful and you can't blame his team mates for them. Fine, some passes he attempts and succeeds with pin point accuracy, but it's not often enough to compensate for his lack of mobility.

If Lee Evans (who I've never understood why he gets such a bad rep when he's done no worse than Saiss, Price or anyone else in that position) performed as Saiss has, he'd be getting pelters. At the end of the day, Saiss isn't standing out as a cut above any other central midfielder on our books - an area in which we are appallingly low on quality.

I think we will see the best of Saiss next season if he's still here. He's been injured, away at the ACN and not really had a consistent run in the team. When he has recently he's been played with Edwards who isn't a partner at all. He's also the type of player that imo will be better with better players who stop him playing the needless balls because they give him the options he wants. I actually think he's more mobile than some give him credit for but just isn't used to the pace of the English game. I can't believe he's getting written off already when it's not easy to adapt and he has shown Newcastle (a), Reading (a) QPR (first 80 mins a) even at times in the Brighton game the other day that he is more than good enough.

If he's still here next season and he's not more consistent then i think you can write him off but i feel it's still harsh right now even though i understand the reservations others have with him.

I wouldn't write him off wholesale at this stage but we're in danger of getting into 'Seyi's passes are too intelligent for our players to read' territory.

I wouldn't write him off wholesale at this stage but we're in danger of getting into 'Seyi's passes are too intelligent for our players to read' territory.

I don't think we're anywhere near that, nor has anyone said that but he is without a doubt a better footballer than those paired with him. He's definitely a better footballer than Seyi too, it might just be the case that he will never be suited to Wolves or this league but there is a player good enough in there.

I mean making excuses for him forever and ever even though his own performances are way short of what's required.

He is of course better than Seyi.

I don't think it's a case of making excuses more understanding that there may be reasons why he's played as well as he can. He's not had a good season but it's been interrupted and it isn't the easiest league to come to. Like i said if he doesn't start next season playing like he has shown he can consistently then fair enough write him off but i think he's getting a bit too much criticism without others looking at the other side. I actually agree with what Spiers said about him in his players rating stuff which i rarely do but he does seem to play very well away from home when we sit back and it leaves us space for him to pick his passes and he can block and screen the back 4 when we don't have it.

If you buy a MyWolves membership (£17.50) then you can use your existing ticket cash towards it. I know because I renewed mine on Saturday. If you choose direct debit when you renew as well, you get a free game in August. No doubt on top of the usual two "free" £5 ticket cash games during the season.

If you have enough ticket cash to cover that then it's a no brainer really.

Have been a member for a few years & it's already on automatic rollover on direct debit (which is why I'm still paying the earlier price of £15 for it) - will ring them to see if I can use it for this then as unless Lambert/the team shows an inclination to entertain then I really don't want to waste a shedload of cash on travel costs just to save a bit on the ticket price.

I think mine was already on auto too. If you try renewing online it should give you the option to use your ticket cash before it's all confirmed. If not, then give them a ring.

Have been a member for a few years & it's already on automatic rollover on direct debit (which is why I'm still paying the earlier price of £15 for it) - will ring them to see if I can use it for this then as unless Lambert/the team shows an inclination to entertain then I really don't want to waste a shedload of cash on travel costs just to save a bit on the ticket price.

Mine was on auto renew at £15 until a couple of years ago when I enquired about deducting my outstanding ticket cash from the fee. I was told to turn off auto renew and turn it back on. I did this but it then cost me £17.50 instead and negated the saving I would have made with my £2 ticket cash and meant that in subsequent years I would pay £17.50 instead of £15!

Back