• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves - Sevilla EUROPA LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL Math thread

Makes you wonder why they bothered spending so much on a new training ground if they don't use it.

So players don't improve with regular first team football? Only on the training ground?

Its not wrong to say he isn't as good at defending as Jonny, he isn't. He is an attacking player. Last night he was no worse than Doc (who constantly got caught the wrong side of his man in the 1st half) and he had his hands full as they essentially doubled up on him

Its obviously gunna be tough, but its a one off game, as I said last night, its a free hit, we will be massive underdogs. I'm not expecting to beat them but not nervous at all, just gunna enjoy the game. 3-5-2 for me, Jota up front with Raul, Adama and Neto to come on at 60 minutes.
Think people are being harsh on Vinagre, did ok defensively imo, he's just not such a good defender as Jonny (not many are). Also as good as Podence is, he doesn't give our left side as much defensive cover as Jota...Jota will come good in attack at some stage

Its not wrong to say he isn't as good at defending as Jonny, he isn't. He is an attacking player. Last night he was no worse than Doc (who constantly got caught the wrong side of his man in the 1st half) and he had his hands full as they essentially doubled up on him

Spot on. Not saying he’s a great defender because he isn’t, but it’s hardly like he’s had the opportunity to become one. Last night he was on a hiding to nothing as he was targeted as soon as he came on so it’s hardly a stick to beat him with. Who knows though, if we had t wasted that money on Compton Olympiacos may have played differently.

We will really have to do our sums to get a result out of this game.

If you take Jonny out of the equation and minus Podence, then we could add Jota up top. Hopefully that will be enough to equal a win.

Is that the right sort of Math?

Perhaps one of the admins could add the C and change it to match thread. My own fault for typing so early in the morning...

Doc and Vini had their hands full last night as Olympiacos were clearly trying to overload down the wings and then whip crosses in. Traoré was no help whatsoever and Podence tries hard but defensively doesn't know the system as well as Jota.

They'll have a similarly tough time against Sevilla if they're not given enough support. Regullion + Ocampos down the left and Navas + Suso down the right.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Perhaps one of the admins could add the C and change it to match thread. My own fault for typing so early in the morning...

Perhaps or this could be your Japan Moutinho moment...

I'd go full Nuno for the QF, 352, Jota up top with Raul because of his defensive work rate. I'd even be tempted by saiss at left back and Kilman between him and Boly, if Jonny is out.

Defend like fuck for 70 minutes then go 343 and see what happens.

Thought Jota looked a lot like 'the old Diogo' last night when he came on. Take away the one on one that he scuffed (was a harder chance than looked), he looked sharp, full of energy and hustling.

In a front 2 he's certainly first choice to partner Jimenez for me.

Presuming Otto can't play I'd start

Patricio
Doherty Dendoncker Coady Boly Vinagre
Saiss Moutinho Neves
Jimenz Jota

Big big options on the bench then to change a game (Traore or Neto)

I certainly wouldn't be messing with the back 3 after last night, and i certainly wouldn't be moving Saiss (after one of his best ever games at LCB) into midfield after him not playing there once (?) this whole season.

:icon_lol: I know, I know. But we haven't really got many options. Vinagre isn't very good at defending

He isn't, (i'm not overly sure he is that good at attacking either) but he has to play LWB on Tuesday, and a positive is how well Saiss dealt with the situation last night.

:icon_lol: I know, I know. But we haven't really got many options. Vinagre isn't very good at defending

He's not that bad, improved quite a lot this season imo, just needs a bit of help when playing against quality wide players, Saiss was brilliant last night and when Jota came on Olympiacos weren't as effective.
As for Saiss at LWB....one of our most yellow carded defenders against a tricky winger?...should go well

Vinagre is OK defensively, he didn't get his distances right last night though and he doesn't press as intelligently as Jonny. It's a high bar though. If Jonny is out (sounds like he will be) - a fantastic experience for him to grow in.

has someone nicked dels log in? Saiss at left wing back? :icon_lol:
Fuck me del, cease the red bull and crisps mate.

3-4-3 for me. Moutinho on the bench, donck and neves in midfield. Jota on the left, adama on the right. Neto and Mout to come on later.

Vinagre has never let us down defensively imo. Yes he ain't as good as Jonny, but he's fucking excellent, that's why.

Back