• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 5 - Rotherham 0 the best result of the season (so far) Verdict thread

More the TK stuff, although I thought we fine today and didn't notice much dilly dally. We won easily.

More the TK stuff, although I thought we fine today and didn't notice much dilly dally. We won easily.

Paddy were you having a smoke between 30th minute and up to the 60th minute. We were so disjointed and players seemed to want to take the ball a step forward too much and in turn getting dispossessed easy. If it were for Connor Sammon being shit and some good saves from TK we could have seen 2-0 turn round to 2-3 quite quite easily..

A brief disjointed period but we were pretty comfortable. Connor Sammon certainly contributed to that by being absolute garbage.

You must have been the calmest man in the ground then. I was certainly worried and not entirely happy with the way we just stopped playing and let Rotherham onto us. If we hadn't scored that breakaway third it would have continued, and Im pretty sure Rotherham would have scored.

You must have been the calmest man in the ground then.

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

If we had scored 7 Rotherham couldn't have complained.

What do people want?

We scored 5 - conceded 0. Gained points on 4 teams above us & kept pace with the other 3.

So Doyle came on, whether he did a lot or a little is academic - suspect he was only on to give Dicko & Afobe a rest before Tuesday night. Has he a long term future at this club - of course not, but am happy with the overall contribution he has made during his time here even if the good bits were only at the start.

Yes we were probably lucky not to concede (& if Rotherham had a proper striker we would have), but we didn't.

For my point I will take today's result gratefully & move on to the next game.

Clean sheet? Check
Scored more than the opposition? Check
More posession? Check (52 vs 48)
Volume of shots? Draw 14 each

Result, scrapped a win 5-0.....

What do people want?

We scored 5 - conceded 0. Gained points on 4 teams above us & kept pace with the other 3.

So Doyle came on, whether he did a lot or a little is academic - suspect he was only on to give Dicko & Afobe a rest before Tuesday night. Has he a long term future at this club - of course not, but am happy with the overall contribution he has made during his time here even if the good bits were only at the start.

Yes we were probably lucky not to concede (& if Rotherham had a proper striker we would have), but we didn't.

For my point I will take today's result gratefully & move on to the next game.

Its not just today that we've had those lapses though and today we had the get out clause of Afobe and Dicko being on fire. There is a fundamental flawed mentally during the game that when we sit back we lose momentum that much we find it hard to turn it back on again. Today we had the advantage of Rotherham trying to play football and leaving gaps and there forward line being Leon Clarkeesque....

Im certainly sure we give that type of stand off and shut down display against Bournemouth and Watford in a week or so, It'll take us scoring 5 again to win the bloody game.

Let's hope we scrape a few more of these wins.

They say a sign of a good team is winning when you play badly.

Let's hope we scrape a few more of these wins.

They say a sign of a good team is winning when you play badly.

Im not saying we were bad, far from it. I just mentioned for a brief period both sides of the half we lost shape, heads and almost everything to ensure Rotherham had a chance and boy they certainly had chances. The fact Rotherham tried to play attacking football made us electric on the break and they couldn't cope with us. Like Blackpool and Charlton if they had tried to play defensive football we may have found it hard to get through them.

Im certainly sure we give that type of stand off and shut down display against Bournemouth and Watford in a week or so, It'll take us scoring 5 again to win the bloody game.

Will give you a report for the Bournmouth game as will be at that one - testing ourselves against the best in the division :icon_biggrin:

Im not saying we were bad, far from it. I just mentioned for a brief period both sides of the half we lost shape, heads and almost everything to ensure Rotherham had a chance and boy they certainly had chances. The fact Rotherham tried to play attacking football made us electric on the break and they couldn't cope with us. Like Blackpool and Charlton if they had tried to play defensive football we may have found it hard to get through them.

Getting the 2 goal lead forced Rotherham to come out more & gave us the chance to break (which with the pace in our front line is a benefit).

Ultimately we are not at the stage where we can dominate teams for 90 mins and will come under pressure at some point (as do most clubs at this level much of the time)

Do you think that's because we lack leaders during the poor periods of play? Lack of presence from players or ability to concentrate?

And on the opposition defensive side of things, and certainly against Charlton and Blackpool, we lack creativity centrally, was this the same again today?

Need info from those there, but sounded as if McDonald got further forward today, particularly in the first half (that may have been due to the fact that Rotherham were not being that adventurous at that time) - appears as if that helped the creativity

Do you think that's because we lack leaders during the poor periods of play? Lack of presence from players or ability to concentrate?

And on the opposition defensive side of things, and certainly against Charlton and Blackpool, we lack creativity centrally, was this the same again today?

A combination. Plenty of times there are passes on but players decide to try one too much on the ball, McDonald can be guilty of that likewise Sako. Rotherham did sniff a weakness and pushed us down. Plenty of times we played silly balls into Goldbourne and Iorfa only for nobody to show and then the balls went down the line and back to Rotherham and back inside giving the midfield a fright. The Rotherham chances were down just to sloppiness and us switching off. I may be worrying far too much tonight so apologies.

Back