• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - Cambridge 1 verdict thread

Bloody hell Costa looks pretty rapid. Another excellent prospect by the looks of it. Great to see us create so many clear cut openings.

The goal we conceded was bloody horrific mind you.

Oh and the away kit looks awful when you see some fans wearing it in the stands. Looks like there are stewards sat in random seats for no reason. Why did we choose that horrible colour?

Ha ha,i asked a fella in the north bank why there was so many stewards (in the sb) the other week
I wondered why he just laughed.

Ha ha,i asked a fella in the north bank why there was so many stewards (in the sb) the other week
I wondered why he just laughed.

I was thinking there were Cambridge fans in the home stands - this makes much more sense

Granted I wasn't there last night but I have to say I disagree vehemently with anyone saying that Teixeira needs to cut out the flicks and tricks from his game. Let the likes of him, Costa, Wallace, Dicko and John express themselves. Who cares if they lose the ball every now and then or have the odd bad game, if they continue creating chances at the rate they are currently we'll be very hard to contain.

He does need to cut the needless ones in stupid areas out. I don't mind him doing them near our box but when he does he needs to make sure that it comes off and it is the right time to do it.

Granted I wasn't there last night but I have to say I disagree vehemently with anyone saying that Teixeira needs to cut out the flicks and tricks from his game. Let the likes of him, Costa, Wallace, Dicko and John express themselves. Who cares if they lose the ball every now and then or have the odd bad game, if they continue creating chances at the rate they are currently we'll be very hard to contain.

I was disappointed to hear the amount of people moaning about it. Now - we weren't here but I feel we need to embrace his flamboyant nature. Maybe he will lose the balls at inappropriate times, but better than watching someone else shelling it forward just because they are under pressure

I was disappointed to hear the amount of people moaning about it. Now - we weren't here but I feel we need to embrace his flamboyant nature. Maybe he will lose the balls at inappropriate times, but better than watching someone else shelling it forward just because they are under pressure

Agreed. It's just going to take them a while to bed in and eventually they'll know when and where to do these fancy flicks etc. There's a clip in the highlights where Prince tries to dribble out of the box with three Cambridge players around him! They'll learn. As you say, would much rather the trickery and a few mistakes then unskilled players lopping it in to row Z every 5 minutes.

Agree 100%. I said last night we need to get used to him doing it. Would rather watch him attempting skillz than Dave Edwards clones running around for 90 mins.

Tex is unlike a lot who try the skillz. He gets it wrong he works bloody hard to get it back.

I'm all for the flicks and tricks. Just not on the edge of your own box when you fail to execute it 9/10. The other one that winds me up is the ones that offer no benefit and it is purely "showboating" but fucking it up at the same time. Sort of stuff Ronaldo does but he executes them every time, so can do it, even if they are totally pointless

Fuck me the defending for our goal really was bad. Like, really really bad.

But from the highlights we countered with pace, Costa and Wallace both looked pretty decent so positives and next round.

$#@! me the defending for our goal really was bad. Like, really really bad.

But from the highlights we countered with pace, Costa and Wallace both looked pretty decent so positives and next round.
Whichever of Iorfa or Hause that tried to head the ball clear, you have to think that must have been nerves. I'd wager the pair of them are a bit anxious with all the new faces coming in, wondering of they won't be the next one(s) with a shiny new teammate to compete with.

And I don't put nearly the same emphasis on confidence as you lot. But any defender of their stature should be doing better.

Whichever of Iorfa or Hause that tried to head the ball clear, you have to think that must have been nerves. I'd wager the pair of them are a bit anxious with all the new faces coming in, wondering of they won't be the next one(s) with a shiny new teammate to compete with.

And I don't put nearly the same emphasis on confidence as you lot. But any defender of their stature should be doing better.

It was Iorfa, but there's absolutely no way in the heat of the moment he had anything other than the game on his mind. He just shanked his header straight up in the air - nothing more, nothing less - it was really poor defending and it cannot be excused.

To think it was anything like you've described above is fanciful.

Yep just shit defending (and goalkeeping to be fair), nothing anymore sinister than that.

What was evident for Walter Zenga to have a think about is how reliant Wolves are on Danny Batth to organise the back four. You wouldn't trust that partnership in league games it was comedy gold.

But I thought people would "drive Danny to *insert club here* for a packet of biscuits"... ?

But I thought people would "drive Danny to *insert club here* for a packet of biscuits"... ?
Depends on the biscuits. At the very least it's worth a pack of bourbons.

Reading some old posts on here, you'd think Wolves fans had worshiped Jody Craddock like a God his entire career. As I recall, he was pilloried for most of it, and only given credit towards the end. Wolves fans are a fickle lot with many having short memories and even shorter levels of tollerance

Iorfa was definitely at fault for the goal because he rushed the clearance and the header but Lonergan should have taken control. Personally I don't think the game showed that we need Batth, Hause and in particular Iorfa just didn't seem up for the game. Hause improved massively after half time even though most comments i've seen haven't said so. Hause a bit like Evans is one of those players that people criticise and everyone jumps on the bandwagon, maybe a bit like Danny last season.

Batth has been much better in the first few games this season and maybe a few Wolves fans including myself were too quick to criticise as it quite clearly has shown that he was under instructions to play hoof ball. He still doesn't organise like a leader though, he hasn't got that in his locker and he doesn't dominate physically like he should but he has improved.

Iorfa was definitely at fault for the goal because he rushed the clearance and the header but Lonergan should have taken control. Personally I don't think the game showed that we need Batth, Hause and in particular Iorfa just didn't seem up for the game. Hause improved massively after half time even though most comments i've seen haven't said so. Hause a bit like Evans is one of those players that people criticise and everyone jumps on the bandwagon, maybe a bit like Danny last season.

Batth has been much better in the first few games this season and maybe a few Wolves fans including myself were too quick to criticise as it quite clearly has shown that he was under instructions to play hoof ball. He still doesn't organise like a leader though, he hasn't got that in his locker and he doesn't dominate physically like he should but he has improved

I think this is true. Ultimately, players look better in better organised systems surrounded by better players. He has done the first part and we have an influx of new signings settling in. He annoyed me so much last season as his attitude and application just didn't seem right to me but it is clear to see KJ had baffled that set of players.

Name a time you haven't got a hankering for bourbons? :)

Back