• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - 0 Derby: Verdict Thread

Sounds about right, it was around 50-50 at half time and then they had 20 minutes after the first goal where we hardly had a kick. A lot of possession that didn't really go anywhere though. They miss Martin a lot, Bent didn't have a dreadful game by any means but he offers absolutely nothing in general play. When Martin plays those three attacking midfielders play off him and cause havoc.

Yes agreed. It just surprised me how much that skewed the overall match figure from 50/50 to 60/40

What a great start to the weekend. Wolves show me they can play with the big boys in this division and win 2-0. Think I'll have a drink. ;)

Loads of rugby on tomorrow with a great finish to the 6 Nations. Think I'll have another drink. ;)

Sunday is my Birthday and my family are giving me a 'surprise' party. Think I'll have several drinks ;) ;)

Mine is Wednesday - Happy birthday DW

Richard Stearman was magnificent tonight - definitely my man of the match.

A really hard working performance tonight against a very very good side. They had one of those nights - hit the woodwork twice, the ref couldn't have let us off the hook any more than he did with THAT decision, and even though they lost 0-2, Derby play good football and miss their talisman up front.

But we deserve the 3 points for doing a good, hard working, professional job. Very happy tonight - no reason why we can't sneak into that top 6, momentum is so important at this stage of the season and we have plenty of it.

Only one place to be tonight, the South Bank!, awesome night, Molineux at it's best.

Indeed, my first time in there for fifteen years and loved every second.

Think bringing on DE and RVLP really nullified Derby in the end and it reduced them to long range efforts in the end.
Can't remember the last time I have enjoyed my football so much as I have done the last two seasons.

The atmosphere sounded fantastic! Can only imagine what it was like being there, it definitely spurred the players on.

That run VlP made at the end from our own box was worth him getting a 7 alone

Coming up for the Leeds game - that has too be as good (& with a positive outcome)

Thoroughly enjoyable game. Agree with the majority of the verdict. Hats off to KJ and his team I didn't think he had the tactical nous at the beginning of the season and I am very happy to be proved wrong.

Now a mini league of 5 for 2 places. It's going to be a fun last 7 games.

Well i feel sorry for my mate, ill and can't go to the game but i'm glad he gave me his ticket. Loved every second of being there tonight and yes we had a little luck but it's about time. Southbank was absolutely rocking and the place to be.

Kuszczak - 7 - Did what he had to do, doesn't always look straight forward but he made the saves. Didn't ever feel he wasn't in control.

Doherty - 6 - Frustrating that he refuses to close his man down and gives them far too much room, went forward well at times but then started to take VLP's room up late on.

Batth - 8 - Excellent performance and while he looked a little fortunate for the disallowed goal he did everything else well including a couple of last ditch challenges.

Stearman - 9 - Absolute class. Body on the line for everything and i lost count of the times he got something on the ball.

Golbourne - 8 - Our left back and should always play when fit, gives us so much going forward but solid defensively too.

Price - 6 - Didn't get close enough to Ince or whoever dropped into the hole for Derby and they really should have capitalised but failed.

McDonald - 8 - Great pass through to Afobe for his chance and controls the play well when he get on it.

Henry - 6 - Struggled to really influence the game but work rate was excellent.

Sako - 9 - Absolutely class, was on it right from the start. Looked a constant threat and held on to the ball when we needed to, should have scored after his great run at the end. I really hope he's still here next year.

Afobe - 8 - Gives us so much with his running in behind and really should have made it 2-0 with his big chance but oozes class and is a great buy.

Dicko 8 - Thought he had taken too long to get his shot away for the goal but somehow managed to sneak it in, worked tirelessly and rightly disappointed to be taken off but it was understandable why he was.

Subs

Edwards - 6 - Gave us extra legs and that bit of closing down but didn't really get on the ball

VLP - 7 - I thought he was excellent, yes he still does frustrating things but he was the one more than anyone that just kept the ball for us and while his cross wasn't great we got a goal from one of his deliveries.

Doyle - Not really able to give him a mark as he wasn't on long enough.

Referee was poor again for me, i would have been fuming had we scored the goal Derby did and he not played advantage. Not going to complain too much though as we got the better deal out of it all.

Of course we get on TV and I can't actually watch it. Fuming at that. Anyone know if a full replay will be available online?

Delighted with the result, though. Drinks for everyone! :beerchug:

Get the fuck in. So proud of the work rate, the effort and commitment from ower lads... We were rock solid in defence and always had the scope to make that break. Funny as it seems we could have ended 4-0. I really wish that Sako chance had gone in at the end. Brilliant effort from the man, a true Wulf and a great player for us if he does leave in the summer.

Jeff and friends is going to be good tomorrow..
Dis-Gon-Be-Good-Chair-Reaction-Gif.gif

I haven't been able to see much of Golbourne but it seems like we rave about him every time he plays. How is it that he was stuck at Barnsley for so long? Good left backs are a dime a dozen in England (and football in general, honestly).

Golbourne in all fairness didn't have to do much with his marker. Miley Cyrus Christie was one of the worst footballers Ive seen from an opposition side at Molineux this season. He never once got past Scotty and how he was replaced at half time I'll never know.

Regarding the incident just before half time, I do wonder how good a view the referee had. He really should have allowed play to continue. but having disallowed the "goal", I must admit I expected a red card to be shown.

Performance wise, I was very impressed. Plenty of room for improvement, but the team seems to getting better and better. Had it not been for that nightmare little spell before Christmas, then who knows where we would be now.

but having disallowed the "goal", I must admit I expected a red card to be shown.
That surprises me considering the criteria both the FA and FIFA have for the clear goalscoring opportunity which the referee must consider.

The FA has "The likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball", and FIFA has "the probability of the attacker controlling the ball." and "the proximity of the player to the ball."

None of which were certain in this instance given the speed of the ball and the angle Bent was running at, so the ref had no way of being sure it was a certain clear goalscoring opportunity. If he's not certain he can't give it.

Props as the youth would say to Kenny Jackett. His selection last night was brave; surrendering the midfield, playing our two most offensive full backs and then pushing them so far forward, it really was shit or bust. When the changes needed to be made, they were, with the right players coming on and off. It would have been easy to bottle the Dicko call as individually he didn't deserve it, but it was the correct one.

I think if they had kept Martin fit, Derby would have comfortably won the league. Their team is built around a strong player that holds the ball up for their runners to play off which they don't get from Bent. I don't see that as bad luck though, but bad management. If you have a position that is so pivotal to your play then it's poor to have nobody else in your squad that can play it. In the same way that we over relied on Dicko for the first half of the year.

I'm going to enjoy my lads football this morning, we will both be walking very tall!

Back