• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 - Huddersfield 1 - an irrelevant game with an irrelevant scoreline verdict t

Man you are really hurting from the Danny Batth snub aren't you....

I'm past that now. I'm not having no yank kid telling me or others that my hurt for the club I love is over the fucking top. He has no idea just like his fellow American goon the other day but he doesn't pretend to give a fuck.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

They've spent a huge amount on buying the club and a huge amount on players so far. Even with 20,000 season ticket holders at £500 a pop (and the average will be far less) that income only £10m. It doesn't even scratch the surface of what has been paid out in assets, let alone ongoing costs.

I'm sure that they do care and changes will be made in the summer to enhance the possibility of them making a serious return on their investment. The return will only be achieved through promotion else they'll be looking at huge losses.
We've sold about 14.5k season tickets. I can't see us selling more than another 1k unless the Summer investment is really exciting

Mason for me is just a mish mash of mess. Neither a goalscorer, neither a creator.

agree with that completely - he's not particularly good at anything - he's not quick, he's not a good finisher, he's not that good at dribbling, he's not good in the air, he's not perceptive with his passing - he's just very average at everything.

agree with that completely - he's not particularly good at anything - he's not quick, he's not a good finisher, he's not that good at dribbling, he's not good in the air, he's not perceptive with his passing - he's just very average at everything.

That could describe probably 70% of our first team squad, if I'm honest.

The spine of our team is bang average and every now and again they will have moments above their normal level and that is what has essentially kept us up for 2 seasons. (plus we have had Helda Costa this season)

I hope Lamberts words after last nights game will be backed up with action. Basically saying the same as a lot of fans, in terms of where we are right now and what we need to do. Full time whistle v Preston can't come soon enough and the proper hard work can start then.

The poor lambs don't like criticism. Ikeme has blocked me on Instagram despite the fact that I've never directly interacted with him once and haven't even really had a go at him this season (he's lucky I wasn't writing last season). We all remember Doherty's sister on here. Edwards had a whine about general Twitter criticism when we were losing every single game and he was flapping around at #10 contributing nothing.

Fuck them though, 14 home wins in two seasons at this level is disgraceful. When I said the other week that we had over 30 players on our books where I wouldn't bat an eyelid if they never kicked a ball for us again I meant it.

Not used to it are they, they're paid a fortune by a club that licks their arses and blames everything on newcomers who don't even play

I'm past that now. I'm not having no yank kid telling me or others that my hurt for the club I love is over the $#@!ing top. He has no idea just like his fellow American goon the other day but he doesn't pretend to give a $#@!.

It's not the pain that I'm trying to minimize, it's the anger and calls for (some) heads to roll.

It definitely could be a cultural thing as you rarely see coaches sacked midseason over here and I cannot say that I need to see improvement from performances in the course of this season to let Lambert give it a go again next year.

The playing staff, as has been pointed out both logically and emotionally, is not fit for purpose of promotion and therefore I feel blaming any of the management beyond Thelwell is misguided at best and harmful at worst.

I haven't meant to upset you Quirk as you're normally one of the posters I feel I get on best with but in this case I do think you're letting your passions get the best of you.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It's not the pain that I'm trying to minimize, it's the anger and calls for (some) heads to roll.

It definitely could be a cultural thing as you rarely see coaches sacked midseason over here and I cannot say that I need to see improvement from performances in the course of this season to let Lambert give it a go again next year.

The playing staff, as has been pointed out both logically and emotionally, is not fit for purpose of promotion and therefore I feel blaming any of the management beyond Thelwell is misguided at best and harmful at worst.

I haven't meant to upset you Quirk as you're normally one of the posters I feel I get on best with but in this case I do think you're letting your passions get the best of you.

This will be the bit I disagree with you on Alan.
Rob Edwards was promoted up to first team level from Head Coach of the U18's in 2015 and I think it was a step too high, too early.

Pat Mountain joined us as Goalkeeper coach in 2008, so has been with us through Mick McCarthy, Terry Connor, Stale Solbakken, Dean Saunders, Kenny Jackett, Walter Zenga and now Lambert. That's too many managers for "under staff" to survive and breeds complacency and familiarity with long term playing staff which is not good in my eyes.
Oh and that's the coaching staff apart from Lambert and Stuart Taylor! Lambert needs to change things up and bring in more coaches and get rid of the old, stale ones.

Kevin Thelwell came in to Wolves in 2008 as "Academy Director" and had done a good job there. In 2013 he was promoted way above his knowledge and ability to, basically, "Director of Football". Give the man his due, he can spot a young talent but he has manifestly, consistently failed to sign players who improve the starting, first XI.

Tony Daley joined us in 2007 "Head of Sport Science and Conditioning" and Phil Hayward as "Head of Medical Department" in 2008. They have both served all of the above, listed managers and we have seen, many times, players with injuries not return in the expected recovery time and some even misdiagnosed which has led to complications.

Things at a football club need a "kick up the arse" every now and then to revitalize and invigorate the players...We have become too complacent and set in our ways. Change is needed urgently

Last edited:
People like you who let's face it haven't lived and breathed Wolves or the city, can easily escape all the holabaloo without even a care in the world. Then have the cheek to crack out your little fucking comments like you do. That's why your a troll and your comments are worth fuck all.

This is complete fucking bullshit Quirk. Absolute horseshit.

Also, on behalf of myself, Aikiwolf and SamWolf I would like to apologize to Deutsch, LemonJelly and Johnny for them having to sit through that garbage last night in our absence ;)

:icon_lol:

I actually had a decent time last night. We weren't shit, but average.

First off - huddersfield were good. They may have not got out of third gear, but most things they did, they did well. Very organised, knew their roles. As johnny mentioned, frequently hunted in packs, and did so effectively. They also have some size on their team.
If I were a huddersfield fan, I would be very content watching them perform on a regular basis.

burgoyne - has to play every game to the end of the season to aid his development. Yes, I thought he could/should have saved the goal. However kicking is far better, and especially in the 2nd half he looks to move the ball quickly when he has it, either via throwing, rolling, or kicking. Also looks more comfortable receiving a back pass. Kenny says he noticed him communicating with his defence. Lets see if we can develop him, as there is some potential there at least.

Iorfa - so glad to see him back. Whilst not hitting the heights of last season, his 2nd half was much improved, and he also looked to get forward more. Important we work with this player methinks. I still think he can become very good indeed.

Baath - generally, have to say he was ok. Baath is a bit marmite with fans I find. I think he's an excellent 3rd choice CH. However, very sadly, he ain't captain material. Nor is he a defensive organiser. One big error early in the 1st half, a mis communication with Price created an opening for hudds. That aside, he was steady, and also despite his ball playing limitations, he played a few (one cracking_ passes last night, both short and long.

Stearman - you only really notice him when he throws himself and his hair into these challenges/sliding tackles. Why aren't we playing Hause? I don't feel we should sign stears.

Silvio - fucking class. A full back who knows how to play. In the first half, some of his link up play with marshall was really good. Did loads of things well. If fit, no brainer to sign him. With his injury record, I personally wouldn't. Didn't look like someone who has only played 3 games all season. Slotted in so well.

Price - I like Jack Price. I think he adds more to us than his football. His organisational skills, his talking to everyone etc I feel are important. Never hid. Showed for the ball constantly. Never hid. I fell he's really good in the first two thirds of the pitch, but doesn't have it in the final third. Essentially, we shouldn't be pushing him forwards.

Edwards - I know he played, as he had 3 clear goal scoring opportunities. Took none of them, and did little else, aside from losing the ball (in a decently developing move) to allow hudds to score.

marshall - I'm not sold on him yet, however he linked really well with silvio, and wasn't useless. Some decent deliveries too. Best I've seen him play (admittedly only the 3rd time!)

Gibbs-White - I really like him. Tried things - not everything worked. Twice in the 2nd half he skinned his player wide right - one lovely nutmeg, and another brilliant chest control and beat his man. Looked the most likely to create. So why was he taken off?

Weimann - limped for 60 mins. Should not have been on the pitch. Lambert got this one wrong imo. Passenger the entire first half, and most of the 2nd.

Bod - felt sorry for him to be honest. I don't know what he is expected to do.

Subs - graham - did well (too many stepovers though!) Crossing needs to come, but at least looked positive.
dicko - less than 10 mins = no chance to impact.
Mason - tried, but did nothing of note. Not sure what his purpose is.

Last night suggests that there is no huge gulf between the teams in the league. It is more about the organisation. Wagner has done a great job. We weren't shit, make the right tinkering changes, and we could be in the top 6 without spending gazillions. Oh yeah, and play full backs in the full back roles.

You don't have relegation so finishing bottom means fuck all in American sport. No need to sack mid-season as there's no pressure. Different kettle of fish here, pressure at both ends of the table. Something Americans (not just you Alan) really struggle with in my experience.

It's not the pain that I'm trying to minimize, it's the anger and calls for (some) heads to roll.The playing staff, as has been pointed out both logically and emotionally, is not fit for purpose of promotion and therefore I feel blaming any of the management beyond Thelwell is misguided at best and harmful at worst.

I think this is a cultural thing as I don't think you understand how football management and coaching set ups work. Nothing against you Alan and you're entitled to your opinion but you are flat out wrong if you don't think changing manager's and coaches don't make a difference (although I may agree with you a little in the removal of Thelwell ;) )

You don't have relegation so finishing bottom means $#@! all in American sport. No need to sack mid-season as there's no pressure. Different kettle of fish here, pressure at both ends of the table. Something Americans (not just you Alan) really struggle with in my experience.

I think this is a cultural thing as I don't think you understand how football management and coaching set ups work. Nothing against you Alan and you're entitled to your opinion but you are flat out wrong if you don't think changing manager's and coaches don't make a difference (although I may agree with you a little in the removal of Thelwell ;) )
I just struggle to think that any manager would have our current squad competing for promotion. When we're at full strength under Paul (when Cav and Costa play together) we've genuinely been very good. When we're not at full strength, we've been shit, because IMO no amount of genius tactics can overcome a vacuous midfield.

This will be the bit I disagree with you on Alan.
Rob Edwards was promoted up to first team level from Head Coach of the U18's in 2015 and I think it was a step too high, too early.

Pat Mountain joined us as Goalkeeper coach in 2008, so has been with us through Mick McCarthy, Terry Connor, Stale Solbakken, Dean Saunders, Kenny Jackett, Walter Zenga and now Lambert. That's too many managers for "under staff" to survive and breeds complacency and familiarity with long term playing staff which is not good in my eyes.
Oh and that's the coaching staff apart from Lambert and Stuart Taylor! Lambert needs to change things up and bring in more coaches and get rid of the old, stale ones.

Kevin Thelwell came in to Wolves in 2008 as "Academy Director" and had done a good job there. In 2013 he was promoted way above his knowledge and ability to, basically, "Director of Football". Give the man his due, he can spot a young talent but he has manifestly, consistently failed to sign players who improve the starting, first XI.

Tony Daley joined us in 2007 "Head of Sport Science and Conditioning" and Phil Hayward as "Head of Medical Department" in 2008. They have both served all of the above, listed managers and we have seen, many times, players with injuries not return in the expected recovery time and some even misdiagnosed which has led to complications.

Things at a football club need a "kick up the arse" every now and then to revitalize and invigorate the players...We have become too complacent and set in our ways. Change is needed urgently
This is well reasoned and I would struggle to argue against it.

I just struggle to think that any manager would have our current squad competing for promotion. When we're at full strength under Paul (when Cav and Costa play together) we've genuinely been very good. When we're not at full strength, we've been $#@!, because IMO no amount of genius tactics can overcome a vacuous midfield.

I agree with you that the squads not good enough to challenge for promotion - but it's definitely capable of better than we've delivered. And probably more importantly we should be seeing something forming for next season in terms of a style of play, players getting used to their role, chances being created, communication improving, training ground movements coming off - for me that's the biggest issue, we still chop and change all the time, there's no visible improvement and he ain't realised why.

People like you who let's face it haven't lived and breathed Wolves or the city, can easily escape all the holabaloo without even a care in the world. Then have the cheek to crack out your little $#@!ing comments like you do. That's why your a troll and your comments are worth $#@! all.

A bit harsh, this, mate...I have a lot more issue with the ones from Wolverhampton who post on Twitter, Facebook and the like who clearly haven't got a clue! The ones who STILL go on about how wonderful Danny Batth, Richard Stearman and Dave Edwards are and don't you dare criticise them because you clearly aren't a Wolves fan if you do. It's all the fault of those foreign types we signed with no Championship experience :wallbash:

I'm proud that we as a club can attract "fans" from all over the World and I'm sure Alan would love to visit Wolverhampton and Molineux and would be as much of a fan as you or I. It must be hard supporting a club from such a distance and also not have the same overview of how the British game works. It must be a strange concept seeing so many managers sacked by so many teams every season but the reason has been covered by Johnny

Back