• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 - Barnsley 4 verdict thread

Really poor, let Barnsley run through us without a tackle time after time. Can't think of any positives apart from the games over now.

Just for some perspective...

We have played 7 games. We have lost 2. We have signed an almost entirely new XI that likely has language barriers between themselves and between the coach, and come from multiple different leagues. We have already seen flashes of class that are beyond anything we mustered last season.

Yes, this is a very bad loss. But making any major decisions at this point of the season would be unbelievably stupid, as would writing off any of our players at this point. The season is 46 games long FFS.

Sorry Al, but i just don't think it is that simple.

We signed players left right and centre, most of whom we had never heard of. No sign of Saiss or Silvio, appearing anytime soon, both positions we needed to upgrade.

Clearly, whether it's a language difficulty, injuries when players signed, or the new boys just not being used to this style of football, changing five or six players every game is simply senseless.
Sadly we were doing and playing a lot better starting with last years failures + Bod, than the invasion of the new elite signings.

Rotate by all means, but not so many players every game. Unless of course that's the deal with Mendes, which I seriously doubt before anyone rages.

you can´t be losing 0-4 against Barnsley and expect promotion at the end of season without getting better players in..just too bad Alan, I´m sorry

This team isn't close to its finished product. Nor are Barnsley a bad side.

At this time I'm not inclined to think this loss is any more significant than Barnsley losing to Hull 3-0 last season.

Sorry Al, but i just don't think it is that simple.

We signed players left right and centre, most of whom we had never heard of. No sign of Saiss or Silvio, appearing anytime soon, both positions we needed to upgrade.

Clearly, whether it's a language difficulty, injuries when players signed, or the new boys just not being used to this style of football, changing five or six players every game is simply senseless.
Sadly we were doing and playing a lot better starting with last years failures + Bod, than the invasion of the new elite signings.

Rotate by all means, but not so many players every game. Unless of course that's the deal with Mendes, which I seriously doubt before anyone rages.

That's a joke, right?

Just trying to bring some levity to go with my holier than thou "your pants are too wet" attitude.

I am aware of what you were trying to do, but if its bad (and that was) then thats probably not the time to be funny

Am not despondent, but that is a big wake up call - we still have enough in us to at least gat a playoff spot, but need to settle on a format/team that works & only need to change 1 or 2 to cover particular opponents or injuries not half the team every game.

As said earlier when Costa came on they were trying to work out who was playing where which doesn't fill one with confidence

Down to 15 in the table.

We're going the wrong way. Need to get this sorted, and quick.

This team isn't close to its finished product. Nor are Barnsley a bad side.

At this time I'm not inclined to think this loss is any more significant than Barnsley losing to Hull 3-0 last season.

0-4 at home to Barnsley from L1 is dreadful really with all signings..just shows our defensive play isnt is up to scratch, language barrier or not

0-4 at home to Barnsley from L1 is dreadful really with all signings..just shows our defensive play isnt is up to scratch, language barrier or not

Barnsley are not in League One any longer. In fact, they're in the playoff spots for the Prem. Treat them as such.

I'm completely at a loss as to how results like this aren't to be expected only seven games into a season in which we've just finished signing, what is it, thirteen new players AND a new manager?

Barnsley are not in League One any longer. In fact, they're in the playoff spots for the Prem. Treat them as such.

I'm completely at a loss as to how results like this aren't to be expected only seven games into a season in which we've just finished signing, what is it, thirteen new players AND a new manager?

ok then

There's no excuse for defending in the way that we did this evening. Thirteen new players (many of whom were not involved tonight) and a new manager are all professionals and therefore should be able to defend to a level.

Barnsley are better than most people expected, but let's not kid ourselves or make excuses, tonight was simply not good enough and a number of our lads need to take a long, hard look at themselves after that.

There's no excuse for defending in the way that we did this evening. Thirteen new players (many of whom were not involved tonight) and a new manager are all professionals and therefore should be able to defend to a level.

Barnsley are better than most people expected, but let's not kid ourselves or make excuses, tonight was simply not good enough and a number of our lads need to take a long, hard look at themselves after that.

of course, simple as that

Language isn't a problem at the back & with Price & Coady in midfield shouldn't be an issue there either (though as Coady has lived in Liverpool we may not fully understand him all the time)

Too many Barnsley players being allowed to run at the defence without being closed down or challenged, don't think you need many words to deal with that

There's no excuse for defending how we did this evening. Thirteen new players (many of whom were not involved tonight) and a new manager are all professionals and therefore should be able to defend to a level.

Not arguing against the players getting absolutely blasted by Zenga and the fans and the press after that.

My point is that making any organizational changes on the back of this loss (or going with the OTT doomsaying) would be ridiculous. This sort of project doesn't happen overnight.

At this moment in time we are experiencing growing pains and it's too early to start thinking about Zenga's position.

Not arguing against the players getting absolutely blasted by Zenga and the fans and the press after that.

My point is that making any organizational changes on the back of this loss (or going with the OTT doomsaying) would be ridiculous. This sort of project doesn't happen overnight.

At this moment in time we are experiencing growing pains and it's too early to start thinking about Zenga's position.

NO, WE NEED NEW AND MORE EXPERIENCED DEFENDERS AND PROBABLY A GOALIE THAT CAN MAKE AN EXTRA EFFORT SAVE..sorry for screaming

Poor performance, poor result, maybe not that suprising based on recent performances.

The real test will be if we get a reaction in the next game, if we don't I wonder how much patience the board will have

Yes its a terrible result, a real kick in the bollocks, but I'm inclined to agree with Alan, its far too early to be weeping and wailing, hopefully he will now start to understand what his best team is and the new players get up to speed quickly. If we are still shit in 4 or 5 games time then we can worry. Nearly everyone was really optimistic with Zenga and all the new signings and now we have lost one close game and one hammering, everyone is shitting bricks

NO, WE NEED NEW AND MORE EXPERIENCED DEFENDERS AND PROBABLY A GOALIE THAT CAN MAKE AN EXTRA EFFORT SAVE..sorry for screaming

Haven't been Ikeme's biggest fan but he was fine tonight. Also stopped it being 5 in injury time

Too many lightweight overseas players and little evidence that Zenga can set us up to be tight at the back. Constant changing of the team must be making things worse. I suspect Wolves will make it 7 successive clubs where Zenga has not lasted beyond 16 games.

We weren't very good on Saturday but I sure as hell didn't see this coming.

Zenga has cancelled the players' day off tomorrow and is apparently livid at the players for giving up.

I just hope this is a one off and we can get back on track with a performance on Saturday because I think the fans will turn quickly if we see a repeat of tonight.

TBH I don't blame them for booing as it sounded like it was totally unacceptable and we gave up.

A big few days for Walter and his staff. Let's hope this IS a one off.

WELL WE'RE NOT GUNNA GET EM.....do you not know the window is shut...............oh and the keeper is the least of our worries currently

Back