• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 - 1 Wigan: Hello Darkness, My Old Friend

In all seriousness, it seems to be that a number of our players had one eye on the weekend and the Chelsea game. Which when you're 6 points above the relegation zone, playing a team below you, at home - is totally unacceptable.

If I were in PL's shoes, bar Ronan and possibly Costa, I would drop them all at the weekend. Coming out and saying "I'm angry & disappointed" after the game is one thing - punishing them all by missing the opportunity to play Chelsea in the cup in front of a sell out crowd is another. The following team would do no worse than the 11 that started and lost last night -

-------------Burgoyne------------
Iorfa-Williamson-Hause-Jackson
----------Price----Saville---------
Costa--------Ronan-----Weimann
--------------Dicko----------------

Lambert needs to earn his money now. If we get knocked out at the weekend, we'll be a team out of all the cup competitions, sitting in 18th place in the Championship. The buzz from the cup run will soon disappear and the negativity will start to creep back in (in fact, it already has).

I had my rant the other day about something seriously wrong at our club.

What I did see last night on Sky Sports was that Rangers are putting in a Director of Football and it struck me that Moxey said something similar when Thelwell was appointed to the role:

Stewart Robinson said:
The director of football gives you that continuity. They oversee the overall football department, all aspects of it, including the academy, performance and preparation, analysis and everything as well as the first team.

We have had 3 managers now over the last calender year play roughly the same type of non-football with the same type of players and the best player at the club is nothing to do with the DoF we have.

If we subscribe to the DoF model then ours is not working and we need a new one as we can't keep blaming managers if the culture, tactics, analysis and all the other things that go with this role are wrong. And they are very wrong right now.

I don't think it's Lambert's fault in the whole (playing Marshall clearly is) but if he's got any balls about him he'll march into Thelwell's office tell him he's a cunt and his system is fucking shite and then proceed to put his own system, coaches and scouting team in place.

N.B. Langers, this is a Thelwell rant.

I don't think it's Lambert's fault in the whole (playing Marshall clearly is) but if he's got any balls about him he'll march into Thelwell's office tell him he's a cunt and his system is fucking shite.

I'd LOVE IT if he did that. In fact, there more people that do this the better. Where do I join the queue?

I haven't fact checked this so could be wrong but it really does prove your point if true Johnny...

Jackett (last 14 matches)
Record: 4 wins, 5 draws, 5 defeats.
Table Points: 17
Points per match: 1.21
Goals Scored: 18
Goals per match: 1.28

Zenga (last 14 matches)
Record: 4 wins, 5 draws, 5 defeats
Goals Scored: 16
Goals per match: 1.14

Lambert (current 14 as manager)
Record: 5 wins, 2 draws, 7 defeats
Goals scored: 18

I'll say it again. We have a Chinese billionaire backer who wants us in the EPL and has so far backed the managers. So why didnt we sign a striker in January. Has PL and Fosun agreed to write this season off? Lambert talking about playoffs just to try sell tickets? For me not getting a striker in shows a serious flaw in Lamberts vision as we could all see this team is struggling for goals and for that reason I have little sympathy for Lamberts feck up here and position just now.

I haven't fact checked this so could be wrong but it really does prove your point if true Johnny...

Jackett (last 14 matches)
Record: 4 wins, 5 draws, 5 defeats.
Goals Scored: 18
Goals per match: 1.28

Zenga (last 14 matches)
Record: 4 wins, 5 draws, 5 defeats
Goals Scored: 16

Lambert (current 14 as manager)
Record: 5 wins, 2 draws, 7 defeats
Goals scored: 18

Holy shit! Same shit, different day!!

Got to get people in that can create chances for the strikers. At this moment only Costa is anywhere near this.

Lets get the fucking cup game over with - put anybody in for that Daley, Mountain even PL himself and then lets get down to business in the league.
Pick the best player for each position - Iorfa Willo Hause BJackson, Price Saiss Costa Ronan Weimann Dicko/Bod - and let these guys play together for half a dozen matches instead of chopping & changing every match.

Obviously 2 goals from Dicko and Bods collective (part of) 50 odd games is indefensible....but they aren't really missing many chances, we aren't creating much for them.

Bodvarsson lost more aerial duals than any other player in a Championship match in the last four seasons (27). That tells you what type of football were are playing.

Zenga got slated for making so many changes regularly like Lambert has done lately. It isn't doing us much good. As I said last night, my issue is that I don't see a style of play developing. I am sick to death (regardless of manager) of watching Danny fucking Batth lumping it into the channels.

Bodvarsson lost more aerial duals than any other player in a Championship match in the last four seasons (27). That tells you what type of football were are playing.

That and the points stats are absolutely damning. If we wanted a long ball into the channels then we might as well have gone for Warnock, who has Cardiff in 12th place having spent more or less nothing. This season really has been an epic fuck up. The Cup is nice, but we all know it's the league that counts

Confirming what I said last night that this is more tactical than just hoofing due to lack of technique.

Problem is the heart of our team isn't balanced. Playing with Edwards and Evans won't help move the ball forwards quickly and accurately. I know not everyone rates Price but this is what he is best at. Edwards has to be dropped we can't carry him when he doesn't score.

Saiss or Price as the main holding midfielder then Evans or Ronan as our creative/box to box type.

If Weimann can't play up top we could find ourselves in trouble. Not signing a striker is unforgivable.

Chelsea game is almost irrelevant now so I would give Marshall 90 mins to get him fit same for CBJ I couldn't give a monkeys about that now we need points to break away from the bottom 3.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

That was desperately poor. No shape, no gameplan, no football and dire defending for the late winner.

We haven't scored from open play in the league this month and we wouldn't have scored if we were still playing now. Ronan had a good game but needs to be higher up the park, Bright showed flashes but nothing he did really amounted to anything...I don't have any other positives. Midfield was a total void all night and the full backs were fucking shit. They're supposed to be good going forward but they offered nothing and Doherty's attitude really pisses me off, he does realise that you're allowed to sprint when you're allegedly defending?

We shouldn't be in a relegation battle but we are now and we need points on the board quickly.

Problem is the heart of our team isn't balanced. Playing with Edwards and Evans won't help move the ball forwards quickly and accurately. I know not everyone rates Price but this is what he is best at. Edwards has to be dropped we can't carry him when he doesn't score.

Saiss or Price as the main holding midfielder then Evans or Ronan as our creative/box to box type.

If Weimann can't play up top we could find ourselves in trouble. Not signing a striker is unforgivable.

Chelsea game is almost irrelevant now so I would give Marshall 90 mins to get him fit same for CBJ I couldn't give a monkeys about that now we need points to break away from the bottom 3.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

How long was Marshall left to (not properly) train with the Blackburn kids? i thought it was only a few weeks but looks like hes come off a summer break with Ohara.

Why would any coach go into a game without having enough players in the team who were capable passers of the ball. A coach making the long ball the preferred tactic against a team with two centre back giants who deal with that tactic in their sleep. When does the coach on the touchline think hang on a bit this aint working and change it. This long ball strategy isn't new and its never worked and looks unlikely to work in the future.
Its the coaches responsibility to set his side up so that the players give each other passing options as they move forward with the ball, thats not happening.

11 complete and 9 failed passes. In 90 minutes from central midfield. What. The. Fuck.

Just looking at Enobakhare stats for last night, he only made 8 passes in the final third of the field all in wide positions, Nothing in front of the penalty area where you would expect a ten to try and be creative in bringing others into the game.

Back