• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 - 1 Wigan: Hello Darkness, My Old Friend

Just got back from that dreadful game, I'll try do some balanced ratings:

Ikeme 6/10
- Handled crosses well, but was beyond dreadful with his kicking as he seemed to slice so many of them. Not convinced he was at fault with the goal and made a smart stop at the end.

Marshall 5/10
- Shouldn't have played and we arguably wasted a sub having to take him off (as he was not match fit), I thought he seemed to have the attributes to do well and seemed solid in defence. Made a few good runs forward but never made anything actually happen and his passing was wayward (expected I suppose).

(Coady n/a - Never added anything really and was at fault for the goal by losing his man)

Batth 4/10
- Can't play out of defence at all and is a part of our problems with doing too many hoof balls. Looked reasonable but we need a more commanding/confident CB if we're planning to use a lump at the back.

Stearman 4/10
- Same as Danny really, also missed the ball when he challenged for it for their goal (I also felt his tackle leading to the corner they scored from was also unnecessary in the sense that he could have cleared it for a throw)

Doherty 3/10
- Out of position a lot and didn't seem to have a great deal of energy. Seemed to really tire towards the end and his passing was worse than Marshall's. Needs to be taken out but with only CBJ as backup this is unlikely (amazingly).

Evans 4/10
- Really poor but it doesn't help that his partner, Edwards, is never around him for 5 yard passes. Was hooked off and can't have any complaints. I don't wish to write him off yet but it doesn't bode well.

Edwards 0/10
- The worst player on the pitch and I can't recall him providing any positive impact. Numerous poor touches, numerous scuffed passes, and was never available as an option for his CM partners as he went bombing forward to CAM most of the time. Isn't in form and needs to be dropped.

Ronan 6.5/10
- Pick of the bunch, fantastic eye for a pass and never stopped running. Had a super effort saved in the final minutes and was hugely impressive considering how high the ball was played for most of the game. He will need to be man managed correctly in order to progress to the highest levels.

Bright 5.5/10
- Seemed very aggressive, particularly in the first half. I'm in a bind however as he seems to do well on the ball but doesn't actually add a great deal. Made one super opening in the first half but shot at the near post instead of a pass across goal which was really poor.

(MGW n/a - Looked lively but never really seemed to get going. I assume he was bought on to try and galvanise the crowd but he wasn't able to add a great deal with the ball constantly at waist height)

Costa 4/10
- Really poor game, couldn't get going at all and I feel its more of an issue with the game being played at waist height than any suggestions of him not being arsed. Perhaps could use some time out, but where does our spark come from even with him in poor form?

(Weimann n/a - added nothing and got a silly yellow)

Bodvarsson 3.5/10
- Really poor first touches/ball control I thought. We hoofed it to him and he either headed it on with nobody overlapping him or was outmuscled. Unlike Dicko he was moving into the spaces however so there might be hope but he really isn't a finisher and I'd wonder how long before we have to seriously consider Wilson/Gladon/Collins or some other academy hot shot.

And put those players on three year plus contracts and they care even less.

Stop! what! you mean Evans didnt put in his usual "A" game performance tonight?...shocking.

IS it laughable to suggest Gladon gets some game time seeing as we are starting with Marshall now.

Cheers for the review Jagginman.

Edwards... Sigh... I really want to like him. I really do.

A few questions for Mr Lambert tonight.
Why do you feel instructing your goalkeeper to hoof the ball towards the centre forward is a legitimate tactic game after game, when whoever you play up front wins at best 10% of headers?

Why pick a clearly unfit player meaning that you must have known one of your substitutions would end up being right back for right back? Also how can a player become so unfit whist training with the U23's for a month?

Why did you choose to put the one player that looked like he may be able to pick the crucial pass in front of our own defence once Evans has been subbed off?

Why do we play a formation that leaves our centre forward yards away from any other player and often ends in him chasing lost causes down the flanks and even if he does win the ball there is nobody in the box for him to cross it to?

Why on set pieces do our players stand like statues with no movement whether that be in an attacking or defensive sense?

As for the game, it was the one I must have seen at Molineux 50 times, Tuesday night, flat atmosphere, huff and puff a bit trying to break down a Shit opposition, they score the winner in the last 10 minutes. We are in a relegation battle, because we don't look like either scoring or keeping a clean sheet

I'm really fucked off to be honest, another game that we wouldn't have scored in had we still been playing now. There's no style unless we can sit back and counter we have no idea and it's painful to watch.

Ikeme - Distribution is awful and slow, didn't have to make a save and couldn't do anything about the goal.

Marshall - When i've seen him in the past i have at least thought tidy footballer, not tonight. No control, poor passing and poor defensively when Wigan actually attacked him.

Batth - Hoof, hoof and more hoof. Not sure hoofing it towards Ronan is ever going to work.....

Stearman - As bad as Batth and why the fuck he put it out for a corner when he could just have knocked it back to Ikeme i have no idea. Still don;t understand why Hause is not the first centre back on the teamsheet.

Doherty - Not even doing anything going forward now, his passing was brilliant a couple of months ago but now it's knee height or above.

Evans - Started quite well for 15 minutes then when the movement in front of him stopped he went really negative but even simple passes were going to places they shouldn't. Even with that he wasn't the worst central midfielder for us yet got hooked. He's a player that needs movement and we had zero, felt sorry for him.

Edwards - Like Saturday he was anonymous apart from a header from a cross, it's like playing with a man light during open play as he wanders around like a lost little boy in midfield never showing for a pass.

Costa - I can't criticise him because he's trying but got no help. He got kicked numerous times again tonight and would love someone he could combine with and that could take a bit of pressure off him but not happening.

Bright - The lad has talent and he's got great feet but his game understanding is woeful. Never in the right position, doesn't drive forward enough but when he does looks like he might create something. He's a number 10 that doesn't pick up number 10 positions at the minute.

Ronan - Best player on the pitch. Ball sticks to him and he just looks a footballer. Shame he is wasted on the left and then sitting in front of the back 4.

Bod - Couple of god things but no better than Dicko. Flicked it on a few times that he won it but no one got behind him. Touch is terrible at times even under no pressure.

SUBS

MGW - Tried but didn't really have an impact apart from one cross that Bod nearly got on the end of. Hard for a kid to come on in such a shit game and provide the spark.

Coady - Like Marshall hadn't gone off. Aimless balls down the line, poor touches and just doesn't look like a modern day full back.

Weimann - No impact at all really, got booked and had several poor touches.

Like i said on the Lambert thread the FA Cup games gave me hope but i've yet to see anything in the league. Performances against QPR and Wigan are truly up there with some of the worst when we clearly are better than both but don't play like it. I'm also struggling to see how Saiss can not get in this team, if Lambert doesn't see that he's the best holding midfielder we have got then i'm not sure about anything and if Ben Marshall is a full back and any better than what we had already, he's got some improving to do.

absolute shit Im sick of watching it take away the stands and it would pass for sunday league

A few questions for Mr Lambert tonight.
Why do you feel instructing your goalkeeper to hoof the ball towards the centre forward is a legitimate tactic game after game, when whoever you play up front wins at best 10% of headers?

TBF this one isn't a Lambert thing, Ikeme has always had dreadful distribution. Hennessey and Murray did as well, we seem to be able to produce great shot stoppers who can't pass the ball to save their lives.

TBF this one isn't a Lambert thing, Ikeme has always had dreadful distribution. Hennessey and Murray did as well, we seem to be able to produce great shot stoppers who can't pass the ball to save their lives.
This is different though, it's tactical and deliberate. It's not just an aimless hoof, it's actually quite accurate he's targeting Bod and Dicko and often taking his time to do so. It was noticeable at Burton and again tonight. It's a valid although agricultural tactic with the right centre forward, we don't have that player and just give the ball away time and again.

Bright is a player who is going to split opinion. Spiers is raving about him on Twitter but for me the burst of speed and the beating of the first man is pretty pointless if you continually choose the wrong option be that taking another man on and losing it or shooting when you should pass. He's also not good enough to be given the free role he either had or chose to have tonight, his wandering around the pitch was the main reason Bod was so isolated. He's young and end product may come, but personally I'd have him on the bench not starting.

I thought Evans had a poor, error ridden game, but I'm not sure what cheering his substitution is supposed to achieve.

Bright is nothing like good enough. He thinks he is on the pissing playground.

I have still yet to see him do anything useful in any game. He had the chance today and decided to shoot into the side netting like a moron.

I'm sorry but little drag backs and turns are no good if you then just 1) lose it 2) give it away 3) play it back to the full back 10 mins after you should have.

Fuck me gently its 2 in the morning and I am still fucking annoyed. Without going down the route of any myths legends or theories thats just about as shit as it gets. Doubled by Wigan who are destined for league one. Conceding again in the last 5 minutes to a shit team in the bottom four. Another toothless home performance. The list of descriptives goes on and on and on. Its like a scratched record. Forget Stoke and Liverpool. Take those out of the mix and Lamberts doing no better than Zenga. Add to that a transfer window that brought in 4/5 of fuck all that would actually benefit us like a striker who could score and you can see why I am angry. MM is angry. Twitter is angry and why the fuck should we calm down?

We are a shocking team with a number of individuals who far too often fail to deliver. The squad is weak. It remains weak. We have too many average players, league one players and players who have little or no footballing brain. Thats ok when its backs against the wall stuff and you dont need to do much thinking but when it comes to actually working a team out, outhinking them and outcreating them we are lacking. Wigan came for a point and left with three. And please dont give me the lecture of how good the academy is. Its clear from the players who are graduating that while it may be good its still not giving us championship ready players per se. Ronan , Bright and MGW may be decent squad members but surely its about challenging and this squad at the moment is closer to league one than the premier league. Lets look , once again at the facts

Ikeme- cant kick never could- distribution poor at best. Doesnt command his box well
Batth- hoof hoof hoof. Could not pass wind accurately
Stearman- lots of heart and still capable of a mistake per game
Doherty- Spends more of the game out of position than he does in
Evans- Looking league one at best, no pace, poor tackling and no distribution
Edwards- Road runner reincarnated. Thank god he scored a few
Costa- Teams know to keep him quiet they keep wolves quiet.
Bod and Dicko- couldnt score in a brothel

So the main backbone of our 2016-17 team is shocking. And nothing was done about it in January. Fosun, Lambert et al need to really really hope we dont get relegated. Just as a reminder our record against the bottom 4 reads played 6 won 0 drawn 3 lost 3 with four goals conceded in the last 4 minutes. Its Sunday league stuff and I for one am completely sick of it. Useless.

That's great. That's just fucking great, man! Now what the fuck are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty shit now man! Game's over man, game's fucking over! What the fuck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Fuck me gently its 2 in the morning and I am still fucking annoyed. Without going down the route of any myths legends or theories thats just about as shit as it gets. Doubled by Wigan who are destined for league one. Conceding again in the last 5 minutes to a shit team in the bottom four. Another toothless home performance. The list of descriptives goes on and on and on. Its like a scratched record. Forget Stoke and Liverpool. Take those out of the mix and Lamberts doing no better than Zenga. Add to that a transfer window that brought in 4/5 of fuck all that would actually benefit us like a striker who could score and you can see why I am angry. MM is angry. Twitter is angry and why the fuck should we calm down?

We are a shocking team with a number of individuals who far too often fail to deliver. The squad is weak. It remains weak. We have too many average players, league one players and players who have little or no footballing brain. Thats ok when its backs against the wall stuff and you dont need to do much thinking but when it comes to actually working a team out, outhinking them and outcreating them we are lacking. Wigan came for a point and left with three. And please dont give me the lecture of how good the academy is. Its clear from the players who are graduating that while it may be good its still not giving us championship ready players per se. Ronan , Bright and MGW may be decent squad members but surely its about challenging and this squad at the moment is closer to league one than the premier league. Lets look , once again at the facts

Ikeme- cant kick never could- distribution poor at best. Doesnt command his box well
Batth- hoof hoof hoof. Could not pass wind accurately
Stearman- lots of heart and still capable of a mistake per game
Doherty- Spends more of the game out of position than he does in
Evans- Looking league one at best, no pace, poor tackling and no distribution
Edwards- Road runner reincarnated. Thank god he scored a few
Costa- Teams know to keep him quiet they keep wolves quiet.
Bod and Dicko- couldnt score in a brothel

So the main backbone of our 2016-17 team is shocking. And nothing was done about it in January. Fosun, Lambert et al need to really really hope we dont get relegated. Just as a reminder our record against the bottom 4 reads played 6 won 0 drawn 3 lost 3 with four goals conceded in the last 4 minutes. Its Sunday league stuff and I for one am completely sick of it. Useless.
Bloody hell man calm down. Ever thought of a different hobby?

A game both teams deserved to lose. Awful football, just awful. Personally I thought Bright did quite well, he's got good technique just needs to improve decision making and be a bit calmer when shooting. Hopefully that will come with a little more experience.
As for Ronan he was easily the best player on the pitch. Rest were pretty poor, occasional flashes from the double marked Costa aside. We urgently need Cav back to bring some balance and threat from our left flank. Oh and a striker who might occasionally consider wandering into the opposition's penalty area would be good.

That's great. That's just fucking great, man! Now what the fuck are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty shit now man! Game's over man, game's fucking over! What the fuck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Nuke them from orbit?

I've heard Chelsea are performing quite well at the minute, have you thought of supporting them ? It would be a lot easier on your heart Cyber, because I do worry about you !

I've heard Chelsea are performing quite well at the minute, have you thought of supporting them ? It would be a lot easier on your heart Cyber, because I do worry about you !

And breathe............

Can this be merged with the other verdict please

Back