• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-0 Blues: The Verdict

Just got in and checked out the matchday thread, seems we are getting somewhere overall but just need to find a way of getting more attacking threat into our game, Zyro seems to have what it takes but we need to find a way of getting Mason involved.

We aren't getting anywhere really. There's more of a system these days but it's still awful and Jackett has no idea how to get players in to this team apart from stick them out wide. Zyro looked a threat for the first 2 or 3 minutes he was on but then didn't have any service at all and was left isolated much like Siggy is when he's up top. We are a young side and without key players but i'm still convinced these players could do so much better with a manger who gave them confidence to go out there and express themselves.

I think Saville had an OK game, and on evidence so far I think he deserves to keep his place when Edwards is fit again. Offers a bit more goal threat and is better on the ball even if I'm still not sure what kind of midfielder he'd be best as.

Helan looked ragged by the time he was taken off, Mason on for him was the right sub, as was keeping Siggy on - not a great player by any means but harsh to say he had a bad game, he did a good job, especially in the first half, making himself available as an outlet up front and bringing others into the game. Just no goal threat. I think as a squad option, to be played alongside a proper striker like Dicko, he's worth having, but whether that justifies a new contract I don't know.

Saville was awful, no pace whatsoever.

I've tried to see what he does for a few games now and I can't see it at all. He's lightweight with poor creativity, pace and strength. A dynamic playmaker would be great in there to complement Price and A.N.Other as Coady is OK but nothing better.

When we needed to control possession today both Coady and Saville went missing.

I also don't see the love for Helan, he just looks like a left footed RvlP to me. Runs around a lot and very direct with the ball, but essentially brain dead when it comes to decision making.

I thought the back 4 played very well as a unit today and I thought Doherty had another good game. Zyro looks a decent player and it will be nice to see him play in a 3 with Mason and Wallace next season and Dicko when he's fit.

Overall, I thought we moved the ball a lot better today than the last few weeks and whilst lacking the quality to link the midfield 3 to the front 3 we actually tried to play football. It was on the deck and Price was the architect to all that was good today. It's disjointed but a hell of a lot better than it was 4 weeks ago, that's a big positive for me.

Can't fault our spirit or application but our methodology and technical ability (as a team unit) aren't quite there. Suggests a new team needs to evolve. Currently watching big spending Boro looking anything but a PL team in waiting. Bit of a tasty day down there what with all the protests.

Jackett today demonstrated why we could do with a new manager. For 20 odd minutes of the second half Blues had wave after wave of attacks and but for 2 poor finishes would have scored twice. He stood there motionless in his technical area with his arms folded, clueless about what to do other than hope for the best

I thought Saville was poor and out muscled by Davis way too often for my liking. An interested McDonald would work well in a 3 with Coady and Price

Thought the back 4 were all solid apartf from Kortney's mad 10 mins in the first half and Batth's distribution. Price was class and the other two had decent games but we still struggled to dominate the midfield. It's the front 3 that are the problem, Bjorn was quiet, Helan & Byrne were shit and Zyro looked isolated despite a few quality touches. Yet another game this season where I've walked away thinking that if we had Nouha we'd have won the game.

I did enjoy the game though. Decent atmosphere and a lot of heart from the players. Glad I made the effort to come down, I needed that today.

I've tried to see what he does for a few games now and I can't see it at all. He's lightweight with poor creativity, pace and strength. A dynamic playmaker would be great in there to complement Price and A.N.Other as Coady is OK but nothing better.

When we needed to control possession today both Coady and Saville went missing.

I also don't see the love for Helan, he just looks like a left footed RvlP to me. Runs around a lot and very direct with the ball, but essentially brain dead when it comes to decision making.

I thought the back 4 played very well as a unit today and I thought Doherty had another good game. Zyro looks a decent player and it will be nice to see him play in a 3 with Mason and Wallace next season and Dicko when he's fit.

Overall, I thought we moved the ball a lot better today than the last few weeks and whilst lacking the quality to link the midfield 3 to the front 3 we actually tried to play football. It was on the deck and Price was the architect to all that was good today. It's disjointed but a hell of a lot better than it was 4 weeks ago, that's a big positive for me.

This is all bang on

McDonald is a better player with Price beside him. I can't recall Price making a poor pass today. As to be in the team no doubt about it.

For me Price made the difference today - good distribution & made sure that the pass reached another player on our team

Defence was reasonably solid though B'ham gave us few problems & when they did we got lucky that they can't hit the target

Not a performance to savour, but then didn't expect that given how this season has gone

KJ mentions balance and I feel Saville and Helan have to an extent provided that but overall it cannot be seen as anything other than 'functional' football.

Disagree, thought he had a decent game.

I've held off on an opinion on Saville until I'd seen him play a few, but I really can't see what he brings apart from energy. Ok he's an upgrade on Edwards but still not good enough in my view - his touch is terrible and his passing is poor - with him and coady (who I thought was ok) we're reduced to a hard running attritional game rather than anything skilful and technical - no slick incisive passing moves for us.

What did he do that made you rate him as decent today dw?

I've held off on an opinion on Saville until I'd seen him play a few, but I really can't see what he brings apart from energy. Ok he's an upgrade on Edwards but still not good enough in my view - his touch is terrible and his passing is poor - with him and coady (who I thought was ok) we're reduced to a hard running attritional game rather than anything skilful and technical - no slick incisive passing moves for us.

What did he do that made you rate him as decent today dw?

He's not better than Edwards. He's technically better than him but he has about the same impact on us scoring which is practically zero and isn't as good off the ball.

Matched the Blues central midfielders for effort, looked the most likely to get us a goal, did his defensive bits ok - a decent performance (not great).

Hard for anyone to show their technical ability on our dire pitch at the moment. He's doing ok though and worth his place in the team. Better than McDonald has been of late, better than Edwards ever is in there.

Agree with Dan. Sav was alright today and deserves his place.

Coady was also decent and Jacko was a massive improvement on Macca from Tuesday. The problem is with the style of play. I'd like to see how those 3 play together with Zyro, Dicko & Graham in front of them and a license to get forward and support attacks.

Agree with Dan. Sav was alright today and deserves his place.

Coady was also decent and Jacko was a massive improvement on Macca from Tuesday. The problem is with the style of play. I'd like to see how those 3 play together with Zyro, Dicko & Graham in front of them and a license to get forward and support attacks.

Only problem with that is that I am not sure that any of those 3 have enough quality close to goal to support any attack (though each of them did a satisfactory job today with Price doing more than that)

Must agree I thought Saville did ok, just team needed a shake up on the 60 minute mark as we started to get overrun in the second half that was my main concern.

I quite liked Saville today. Davis was attempting to assert his dominance on our midfield and Saville was constantly harrying him. Even if he was outmuscled every now and again he blatantly riled Davis up, on another day he'd have had him sent off.

Personally i think Edwards is better than Saville..not impressed at all by him

If only we had a Mark Noble in midfield

Back