• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

Selling Afobe says it all. Its clear he sees the club have no interest in matching his ambition of PL football.

Back to now and you are spot on.For me most of my frustration this season is the actions not matching the words from the club at managerial and board level

In the summer we had an owner who we thought was interested in the club. Since then he has more or less washed his hands of the club and wants to sell up.
I said in the summer, something was up. I believe that Morgan had already made his mind up to leave in the summer. There was unrest with Afobe and KM. Maybe the reason there was unrest is because they were unhappy at the ambition being shown to push for promotion. Something was obviously wrong, in the summer.

Listened to the West Ham match, from the time those running Wolves Player could actually get their act together (what a dreadful service that is, but needs will where needs must). Bournemouth hierarchy can't keep their gobs shut about transfer deals, and Eddie Howe backtracking on it yet to be a done deal in his post-match interview... gallows humour all the way. Everyone seems confident it is just £10 million - I am very surprised we haven't seen a bidding auction shifting into gear on that price from the likes of Norwich and others. Anyhow, SkySports showing Afobe at Bournemouth's ground having arrived at 9.30am today.

Here we are then, the morning after, and for some reason, my optimism has returned.

Before 31 January, I see us getting an experienced Central Defender in. Possibly Williamson, possibily someone more 'left field' which just might have some of us smiling with approval. I see us getting two new strikers in, probably one on loan, and maybe even ALF replaced by someone else on top of this. At least one of these replacements will have us all amazed at getting someone in of such goal-scoring potential for a cut-price deal.

We might even see a new left-back coming in. And, heaven forbid, an attacking Central Midfielder who will make the No. 10 position his own.

See, told you I was being optimistic.

What else in the crystal ball? Bournemouth to suffer a double relegation. Afobe sold in July for less than what they paid for him.

No new owners in 2016. In the instability somehow we get stability!

Two further youth team members coming through before May and becoming first team regulars, either starting or on the bench.

A manager with connections to the Welsh team buys Edwards, after his showing at Euros 2016 (which, of course, we can all see through his Tasmanian Devil impression).

Martinez signed on loan for a further season for 2016/17.

The Wolves management congratulated on reinvesting all the money from transfer sales.

Steve Morgan does a Mike-Ashley-style u-turn and returns to the Board.

I wish I could blame some form of medication for this thinking, and I have a feeling that, come the shutting of the Transfer Window, I will be angry beyond comprehension...

This morning some fans on OTIB, the Bristol City forum, do not seem quite so confident that Clough will sign for them. They think that Wolves will come in late in the day and get him.

CYWuHsHWcAAIWKM.jpg

From Instagram...thought this was a fake Twitter thing at first!

Sky now saying the Afobe deal is £8m + £1m in add ons

That's an appalling deal on our part. Thoroughly pissed off with that.

Bournemouth paid almost exactly the same amount of money for Tyrone Mings. A fucking full back who's the same age as Benik and has a much worse pedigree.

If we are after some experience up top, we could do worse than Peter Crouch. Not getting a game for Stoke (I don't count a start v Doncaster in the 3rd round of the cup as an indication he'll start games this season). He knows where the goal is, he's 34, great character, would score goals for fun in the Championship.

Two major problems - wages & if he's available you'd imagine there would be several low end premier league clubs interested. But we can all dream.

Bournemouth paid almost exactly the same amount of money for Tyrone Mings. A fucking full back who's the same age as Benik and has a much worse pedigree.
I surprised you're surprised. This season has been a monumental clusterfuck so far..

If we are after some experience up top, we could do worse than Peter Crouch. Not getting a game for Stoke (I don't count a start v Doncaster in the 3rd round of the cup as an indication he'll start games this season). He knows where the goal is, he's 34, great character, would score goals for fun in the Championship.

Two major problems - wages & if he's available you'd imagine there would be several low end premier league clubs interested. But we can all dream.
I'm very surprised you even mentioned Crouch, he's Harry Redknapp in shorts and socks..

Bournemouth paid almost exactly the same amount of money for Tyrone Mings. A $#@!ing full back who's the same age as Benik and has a much worse pedigree.

i feared as much when I saw the press release. no need for the dig at benik if we were getting a really good deal. the fact it's depreciated since the summer offer explains the nature of the PR.

That's a criminal amount, if true.

Why not hold onto him until the end of the month, make Bournemouth sweat and push the price up? That's not to mention the possibility of initiating a bidding war between other desperate PL clubs.

Seriously?

Has there ever actually been a bidding war for a player? Surely the only one who can drive the price up between rival parties is the player when he's negotiating personal terms.

That's a criminal amount, if true.

Why not hold onto him until the end of the month, make Bournemouth sweat and push the price up? That's not to mention the possibility of initiating a bidding war between other desperate PL clubs.

The only thing you can assume is that we wanted the money in now as we have cracking targets lined up for the transfer window. That we're a well-organised, well-run club with a slick recruitment department that has already identified targets and has the deals virtually done...

Back