• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

Okay this is based on nothing, but merely wanting to change the topic. I would love Nhaki Wells. Always thought he was good and hoped we would be in for him when it was announced we were after a striker until that turned out to be Clarke. Only saw him the once in person when he came on against us for Bradford, however even in that he made an impression despite having been out for about 4-6 weeks from what I recall, nearly scored too despite only getting about 25 mins.

Wonder who we potentially have folders on scouting wise, also not that he is the answer, but is McaLinden fit and do you think we will be recalling him? Had great hopes for him at one stage.

It's sad but at this stage McAlinden is no more than Jake Cassidy and his Wolves career is over IMV. If we recalled McAlinden from not getting a game at lowly Shrewsbury to competing for Afobe's place folk would lose their mind.

Did the club feel the need to come out and justify themselves with the sales of other so called wantaways like Fletcher, Jarvis and particularly Kightly? I don't know and am asking if anybody else remembers, Similarly, why break protocol when we've been all about undisclosed fees and being professional?

We openly said that Fletcher had refused to train/play and we also said that Kightly turned down a new deal and wanted out (same as Mark Davies) so we had little option but to sell him. We also said Hennessey had refused to play at Gillingham before we sold him. We didn't say anything bad about Jarvis because he handled it in the appropriate manner, no issue with his conduct.

Wonder who we potentially have folders on scouting wise, also not that he is the answer, but is McaLinden fit and do you think we will be recalling him? Had great hopes for him at one stage.

McAlinden's loan expired today, as Shrewsbury have hardly used him I would think he will be back here on Monday. He has a chance of featuring vs Cardiff unless we sign someone in the meantime as you'd think Sig is going to be out for at least a week and Alfie is ineligible.

Either you're being wilfully obtuse or deliberately misleading. The article is about Sako being replaced. Which he wasn't for any amount of money as we already had Graham and Ojo was brought in on loan. If you think we did can you point out where?

You can choose to believe the club if you want. I don't and I still think those that do are not engaging a rational brain. I believe I don't need to provide 'evidence' for belief but you go ahead and provide some to say they're truthful in saying he's constantly asking for a move.

The actual words quoted by the Express and Star were...

“We bought Bakary Sako for £2.5m and he’s running out of contract so we have to replace him. Now to do that, inevitably, we’re going to have to spend money on buying players".

I note that the headline 'We’ll splash out on a new Sako' is not in quote marks but is the paper's spin on those words. To extrapolate from that, that the club lied or to be more precise willingly and intentionally misled us, is uncharitable to say the least. They clearly had a budget and in the end spent a million on Byrne for that position with the rest spent elsewhere on the team. That hardly constitutes lying. If you think it does that's up to you.

Bully was on mid tier Premier League money playing for Wolves in the Championship. Leaving us wouldn't have been that rewarding for him financially. The disparity now between what Afobe was and will be on will be massively different.
Jesus, that is bollocks. Steve Bull could of played for some top English and European clubs. He stayed with us in the 4th, 3rd and 2nd division( championship). The bloke was loyal as fuck. Afobe came and wanted a transfer with in 6 months. Steve Bull was and is one of us!

God was loyal. Of course he was. And we will always be thankful. But the difference in wage is a fair point.

We are talking pre-Sky-fucking-football.

Now the difference between a championship wage and a top flight wage is astronomical. There is talk of Afobe maybe getting £50k a week. We can't compete with that.

It's not bollocks at all. Where did I say Bully wasn't loyal? Where did I say he wasn't one of us? What I did say was that moving to the Premier League would not have been massively financially rewarding as he was on PL money (about £6k a week) playing for us in the early 90's in the Championship. Afobe will probably treble his money next week.

God was loyal. Of course he was. And we will always be thankful. But the difference in wage is a fair point.

We are talking pre-Sky-$#@!ing-football.

Now the difference between a championship wage and a top flight wage is astronomical. There is talk of Afobe maybe getting £50k a week. We can't compete with that.
Which only demonstrates that he would have asked to leave Wolves. He would have been losing about £35000 week at Wolves. I could imagine that he would have been upset about playing for us.

We are talking pre-Sky-$#@!ing-football.

Thank you for taking the time to read what I actually wrote

It is all supposition and hearsay really isn't it? Hard to comment or make a call.

I'm torn really. Jonzy by and large is on the money, but like any ITK isn't 100% correct all of the time. I'm struggling to believe the whole in tears stuff and do believe he wants out. My guess is he wants PL football, but would rather it wasn't Bournemouth, but we want the money. Unless he has acted like a complete twat then I don't think there was any need to throw him under the bus so brutally

The actual words quoted by the Express and Star were...

“We bought Bakary Sako for £2.5m and he’s running out of contract so we have to replace him. Now to do that, inevitably, we’re going to have to spend money on buying players".

I note that the headline 'We’ll splash out on a new Sako' is not in quote marks but is the paper's spin on those words. To extrapolate from that, that the club lied or to be more precise willingly and intentionally misled us, is uncharitable to say the least. They clearly had a budget and in the end spent a million on Byrne for that position with the rest spent elsewhere on the team. That hardly constitutes lying. If you think it does that's up to you.

I think you're just being silly now. Byrne is a right winger/ full back and wasn't bought till the last knocking of the transfer window. To claim he is the replacement for Sako is trying in vain to rewrite history.

If you think everything the club says is gospel then good luck to you.

I think (as I said earlier) the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Of course Benik would be tempted by the huge reward being offered. Christ, I would.

But, the club have acted poorly this season on many many things, and the attempt to replace Sako is absolutely a huge part of that. Then there is the Stearman issue, and God knows what really happened there.

All in all, a dreadful mess. I feel very depressed about our prospects just now unless the ownership changes (and that has its own level of huge "better the devil you know" risks).

Bugger.

This is what supporting Wolves is all about. It doesn't matter how much we suffer, what league we are in, our passion for the club in Old Gold, is a strong as ever

I would love to see it in more positive times, just for a change. I can remember the 1980 league cup win, but I wasn't really a fan more than an interested observer then.

I think you're just being silly now. Byrne is a right winger/ full back and wasn't bought till the last knocking of the transfer window. To claim he is the replacement for Sako is trying in vain to rewrite history.

If you think everything the club says is gospel then good luck to you.

Does it matter when he was bought in the window? Strictly speaking Ojo on loan was the replacement but all of Wolves wingers swap wings during the game and it was Byrne we spent money on. The fact remains the statement from the club wasn't a 'lie'.

This is what supporting Wolves is all about. It doesn't matter how much we suffer, what league we are in, our passion for the club in Old Gold, is a strong as ever

We can all say that, with respect.
Though I may do this about £1,000 better off next season and from a safe distance because I feel as though I'm wasting my time and money at the moment, watching this awful brand of football and our best players leaving.

Back