• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

Is this 'exciting winger' signing fulfilling Kenny's logic of, 'we know our defence is crap and may well let in 3 or 4 goals per game, but with this lad, we can score 4 or 5...'
Really?

He isn't. Palace have used him there infrequently but he is a centre half. Dave Edwards wasn't "pretty much a left winger" in August.

He's played as a CB 7 times in the past three years for Palace and Jamaica.

And Chelsea have probably used Azpilicueta at right back about the same number of times in that period, but I'm sure he hasn't forgotten how to play there.

Bit different IMV as Azpi is naturally right footed.

You and I both know Mariappa is capable enough at CB but the past few years at club and international level suggest that his coaches prefer him on the flank. I don't see KJ as particularly more perceptive than you or I in this regard.

He's played as a CB 7 times in the past three years for Palace and Jamaica.

He's a CB Alan, manager's play him at RB because he's not that tall (5'11) and reasonably agile. Kelly, who Palace also play at RB is also a CB by trade.

I'd take Mariappa too.

And Stephen Ward is still a striker, eh?

I don't think Mariappa is good enough to make up for his lack of height/physicality at centre back in the Premier League. He'd instantly be one of the best CBs in the Championship if we signed him though (we wont sign him because of said lack of height/physicality).

Exactly, he wouldn't add enough power.

Called him out as a good option a while ago. Would like him here.

I'd just be happy with Willo for now though.

Can't decide if sitting deep is a tactic or a necessity given the quality of our defence. He's tried every pairing and nothing seems to work. Forget the overlapping and just get the full backs to concentrate on keeping crosses out etc. Iorfa sitting just in front of the CH's and Coady in alongside Baath. A 4-1-3-2

You want to put a midfielder in at centre half with a defender sitting just in front of them?

Where on earth is the logic in that?!

You want to put a midfielder in at centre half with a defender sitting just in front of them?

Where on earth is the logic in that?!

It can't continue as it is and there is no new face to put in.

Coady has played CH before and will add bite. Organisation and I think leadership. Yes it may be agricultural but who cares as long as we can keep a clean sheet. As for Iorfa, he is a fit lad, quick, can pass it short and can tackle - just tell him to keep an eye on the line just in front of the CH's and just follow play, win the ball and knock it to Price or Mac who can hopefully get in amongst the attack play.

I forgot about Papper's insane team selection when we were doing crap before

Hey that's fine but how are your selections doing?

What a bizarre question, how are yours doing?

he hasn't been picking what i would like to see?

Isn't Coady a bit short to be a CB?

What a bizarre question, how are yours doing?

he hasn't been picking what i would like to see?

What's your best eleven and formation given the players at his disposal?

Factor in our ability to concede goals whoever he has played in the back four?

Back