• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Why do you live where you do / Why do you support Wolves?

Tony Towner

Reaction score
I'm sure a version of this must have been done before and I know it ostracises local fans where there's not a story, so apologies.

So this is for people originally from Wolverhampton(ish) who have moved or those that never have and for whatever reason chose Wolves.

Why do live where you do, work, love, Uni, something else? Or why are you supporting a relatively unsuccessful football team in an unremarkable part of the UK?

Well I support Wolves because of my dad. He was born in Wheaton Aston, but my grandparents moved to Oswestry when he was a baby. My Grandpa showed little to no interest in football, so my Grandma used to cycle from Oswestry to Shrewsbury with my dad on the back of the bike, where they’d then get a bus to Wolves (and here’s me moaning about a drive up from Oxfordshire!). They got to see Wolves in the “glory days” under the lights against Honved - and of course the title wins under Stan Cullis in the 50’s.

By the time I came along in the early 80’s, my parents had moved to the outskirts of Ludlow. I was surrounded by Man Utd & Liverpool ‘fans’ at school, but my dad held firm & took me to my first Wolves game (a draw with Cambridge Utd) when I was about 6 and the rest is history - I was hooked.

A combination of partner/work has taken me further south & I’m now in South Oxfordshire, with a mortgage, the other half & our two young kids. It’s their home so despite me pushing for a move a few times, I think I’m stuck here for a good few years yet.

At the moment I live in Wolverhampton, born in Wolverhampton, that’s why I’m a wolves fan.

Born in Shrewsbury, grew up in Newport, the rest of my family were born in Wolverhampton. Mum and Dad both were Wolves fans, I got taken to my first game when I was 5 or 6. My Uncle (mum's brother) was John Bird. Once met Billy Wright in Uncle John's box, before he described the team as 'a team of donkeys managed by an ass' and had it taken off him!

Born in Shrewsbury, grew up in Newport, the rest of my family were born in Wolverhampton. Mum and Dad both were Wolves fans, I got taken to my first game when I was 5 or 6. My Uncle (mum's brother) was John Bird. Once met Billy Wright in Uncle John's box, before he described the team as 'a team of donkeys managed by an ass' and had it taken off him!
So how did Newcastle come about?

Born and raised in Wolves from a family of Wolves supporters. Left for London at 24 to try and find a proper job and ended up doing so. Only meant to stay for a few years getting pissed and going clubbing but I met someone and I've been here 24 years now.

Support Wolves because I had no choice. Child cruelty or something.

Staffordshire kid, moved a fair bit in my 20's Inc living in various places in North Wales before settling in to life in Wolvo (and Darlaston)
Then a change was needed after my FiL suddenly passed away and the MiL needed to move in with us. Was moving to Telford but the house we were buying fell through at the last second as the seller freaked out with Covid lockdowns...a frantic search and we found a house in Market Drayton, very much a wild card move and here we are nearly 4 years later.

My brother came up here with his then partner. I moved up once I left Uni in 1989 as I loved the city when I came up to visit him a few times. Stayed ever since.
You must have mentioned it before and I've missed it, but John Bird as your uncle is some Wolves claim to fame. A good man politically outside of that too.

Born and bred in Wombourne Billy Bunns Lane, old man took me to a few games in he late fifties early sixties mostly Central League, started going on my own with a couple of mates aged about thirteen.
Moved to Castlecroft in 1977 having met and married a Castlecroft girl lived there ever since.
Stopped going mid eighties having decided I couldn’t take it anymore plus having a couple of young Sons.
They badgered me to take them to a game about 1989 and the rest’s history as they say.

Family team. One side's Wolves, other side's Man City. But I was never that into football as a kid, really - probably because we lived down south and never went to matches or anything when visiting back up north, and we didn't live anywhere near any league team of note either. Things started to click more in my late teens, when City were established in the PL but Wolves were still stuck in the second tier, and that made it less conflicting to have two teams, for a while at least. Eventually I ended up leaning towards the underdog after City's first big takeover, maybe because I'm a sucker for punishment.

Last edited:
Born and raised in north London. Dad and his side of the family all from Wolverhampton and all Wolves fans.

Alternative was supporting Swansea anyway so I think I lucked out just about

Born in Lichfield so it was either Villa or Wolves...my sister moved to Wolverhampton, my brother-in-law was a Wolves nut and took me to a dilapidated Molineux in my early teens (late 80s) and I fell in love (Bully had a lot to do with that).

Moved away from the West Mids in my early 20s, lived in Nottinghamshire and then various places along the south coast for a while, and in the early 2000s settled back in Nottingham as it was the home of my then wife. It seemed a decent base, and not too far from family still in Lichfield/Wolvo. Been here over 20 years now and had four kids here (Wolves fans too!). It's not a bad place, and pretty much feels like home.

My parents moved to Wolverhampton to be near my sister when my dad became ill about 12 years, they've both passed away now (as has my brother in law), I still visit my sis as often as I can, and Wolves just seems to be the link to that old part of my life

Born and bred in Wolverhampton (Castlecroft for 20 years), buggered off to all sorts of places and now in Newcastle under Lyme because of the now wife.

Taken by my Glaswegian father (very catholic and very hooped) to my first game at the age of 7, my next game was 6 years later when we really were crap but hadn't long signed a decent centre forward.

Have gone a couple of years at a time not going to games over the decades but always end up going back.

Last edited:
Born and bred in Wolverhampton (Castlecroft for 20 years), buggered off to all sorts of places and now in Newcastle under Lyme because of the now wife.

Taken by my Glaswegian father (very catholic and very hooped) to my first game at the age of 7, my next game was 6 years later when we really were crap but hadn't long signed a decent centre forward.

Have gone a couple of years at a time not going to games over the decades but what's end up going back.
Hello ex neighbour. ;)

Where to start with this, me I was born in Wolverhampton and lived in the area until I left home at 16 and joined the forces I returned 10 years later.
Parents are from Wolverhampton and Dudley.
3/4 grandparents are from Wolverhampton.
The line of supporting Wolves goes back as far as we can trace.
Fair to say I’m deep routed.

Family have been Wolves fans for over 100 years so was there a choice...not really. Started going in 1988.

Childhood was Wednesfield and New Invention, moved to Manchester for uni (still rarely missed a home game) and a year in Hamburg...came back to Wolves after graduating as I broke up with my ex three months earlier and that kind of put all previous plans in the bin.

Thought about/could have moved away numerous times in the following 21 years but haven't. Settled now with Mrs DW and can't see us leaving the area.

This year will be the first time I've missed our opening home game since 1987, when I was 6 and had no say in the matter. Ta Jeff.

I'm absolutely positive we'd have met at some point if you'd had a drink in the Firs
Got to have done, was a regular seventies/eighties with my father in law before he passed away in 1997, dunno if you go back that far.

Back