• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Where will we finish 2018/19?

Where will we finish 2018/19?

• Champions league

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Top 6

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Top 10

Votes: 57 62.0%
  • Safe but no higher than 11th

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • Bottom 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Unless we ar changing formation then Moutinho is getting the spot in the team where Saiss played. Apart from that, last time I looked the window is still open. Lump what you like on Everton if you like losing money.

Well, hopefully I won't want to if there are one or two more signings before the window closes. I'm just being realistic. We will need to move the ball much quicker than we did last season and by this I don't mean 'gerritt forward'. Before anyone jumps on the bandwagon.

I think we will struggle: build up and pissing about at the back is ok in the championship. It wont count for much in the prem. I'm massively disappointed in the lack of signings we've made so far with the finances we have. No quality striker, no quality right wing back and no quality Defensive midfielder to replace Saiss. Having said that, we have the resources to buy more, come the Jan transfer window, to keep us up.
I'll be lumping on Everton come the opening day.

Would you not say Moutinho is the quality replacement for Saiss? And would you not say Jiminez is the quality striker?

Gerrit forward, none of this passing shit. We want 80's football with a real snotter.

Not entirely sure about Moutinho + Neves in the middle. He did immediately put my mind a bit more at ease in the friendly with a few good tackles though!

Wouldn't it be like Chelsea playing something like Fabregas + Barkley? Just feels a bit light. Looking forward to today's game to see how things go

I woudn't say it was like that at all really. Neves is a defensive midfielder, he could play the role that say, Fernandinho does for City, quite comfortably. In the Championship it was good having a combative player like Saiss, and we may need him at times this season but I'd rather have that extra bit of class that we are going to get from Moutinho, who I never thought we'd see playing at our club.

It may be that Saiss in midfield fits our pattern better than Moutinho that's to be found out by playing games, likewise Douglas and Jonny.

Gerrit forward, none of this passing shit. We want 80's football with a real snotter.

I'm still looking for teams to look at imaginative ways of beating the high press be that through pulling more players back towards their own goal and with them opponents. Then being good enough to play longer over the press creating overloads with two or three players trying to isolate defenders.

I'm still looking for teams to look at imaginative ways of beating the high press be that through pulling more players back towards their own goal and with them opponents. Then being good enough to play longer over the press creating overloads with two or three players trying to isolate defenders.

Nothing wrong with going over the top if there's a high press with a high line. Pep used it a couple of times last season with Sterling and Sane. It forces opposition to leave more space in midfield or drop off and try and play exclusively on the counter. Pep could see this and it means that the opposition would struggle to score goals so City would use KdB and Aguero in their more traditional roles.

The man is a genius.

My only concern right now is the Wing Back positions. I haven't seen Jonny play so at this moment in time we are weaker in that area than last season. I trust the club have something lined up because if we go into the season with Jonny/Rubes Jnr/Doc as the main players for those positions we will have made a balls up in that area.

Nothing wrong with going over the top if there's a high press with a high line. Pep used it a couple of times last season with Sterling and Sane. It forces opposition to leave more space in midfield or drop off and try and play exclusively on the counter. Pep could see this and it means that the opposition would struggle to score goals so City would use KdB and Aguero in their more traditional roles.

The man is a genius.

We look for our own coach to be as tactically astute while watching some clubs trying to build constantly from the back with non capable players.
Its good to be tactically smart.

I think he is LK. He may have a rooted philosophy but he's smart enough to get players in who can see things us mere mortals cannot.

Agree. Nuno has his idea on how football should be played, but within that 'framework' we have different ways to do it. That is why I am always baffled at people who say someone like Pep has no 'Plan B' when he is the one who has more plans than anyone!

I think he is LK. He may have a rooted philosophy but he's smart enough to get players in who can see things us mere mortals cannot.

You would think Frank Lampard who is naturally quite bright would work on a longer ball for Richard Keogh where he can just drive a ball or chip into a specific area rather than trying to play short.

My prediction is 8th. Over the past 10 seasons the average points required for this is 53, with 50 goals scored and 48 conceded. Highest points for 8th has been 61 and the lowest 46. Like a few other people I have a decent amount on us finishing in the top ten (got 7/4 as soon as the season ended) and I also have 66/1 top 4 and 16/1 top 6. I don't think we will be top 4 or 6, but do expect to be able to hedge those bets at some point in the season. And to finish putting my money where my mouth is, I have 6/1 Fulham for top half and 33/1 EW for Fulham to win the league on handicap.

I was asked what I would say was ok for wolves to expect this season and I told the person about this thread. He wanted more depth so I went through the league. Would I be happy if we took the following points off the league? Yep.
Arsenal 1pt
Bournemouth 4pts
Brighton 3pts
Burnley 3pts
Cardiff 4 pts
Chelsea 1pt
Crystal Palace 3pts
Everton 3 pts
Fulham 3 pts
Huddersfield 4 pts
Leciester 3pts
Liverpool 1pt
Man City 1 pt
Man Utd 1pt
Newcastle 3 pts
Southampton 4 pts
Spurs 1 pt
Watford 4pts
West ham 4 pts

That would give us 51 points.

Green= achieved already or exceeded
Red= cannot achieve
Light blue = on target still possible

Its looking good isnt it.

Paddingtons 8th before a ball was kicked I have to say, Chapeau! Closest specific in the pre season thread?

Sorry to bump an old thread but its worth a quick re-visit

Err, you can't mark as achieved when there is still another game to play..?

My prediction is 8th. Over the past 10 seasons the average points required for this is 53, with 50 goals scored and 48 conceded. Highest points for 8th has been 61 and the lowest 46. Like a few other people I have a decent amount on us finishing in the top ten (got 7/4 as soon as the season ended) and I also have 66/1 top 4 and 16/1 top 6. I don't think we will be top 4 or 6, but do expect to be able to hedge those bets at some point in the season. And to finish putting my money where my mouth is, I have 6/1 Fulham for top half and 33/1 EW for Fulham to win the league on handicap.

Well, bad misjudgement on Fulham, but only small bets mercifully. And I think I can plan on spending the top 10 cash...

Back