• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Where will we finish 2018/19?

Where will we finish 2018/19?

• Champions league

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Top 6

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Top 10

Votes: 57 62.0%
  • Safe but no higher than 11th

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • Bottom 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I was asked what I would say was ok for wolves to expect this season and I told the person about this thread. He wanted more depth so I went through the league. Would I be happy if we took the following points off the league? Yep.
Arsenal 1pt
Bournemouth 4pts
Brighton 3pts
Burnley 3pts
Cardiff 4 pts
Chelsea 1pt
Crystal Palace 3pts
Everton 3 pts
Fulham 3 pts
Huddersfield 4 pts
Leciester 3pts
Liverpool 1pt
Man City 1 pt
Man Utrd 1pt
Newcastle 3 pts
Southampton 4 pts
Spurs 1 pt
Watford 4pts
West ham 4 pts

That would give us 51 points.

I’ll do my usual and break the season down into mini targets, bottom 3 is a really hard call. Might start a thread and get everyone seasons predictions for each league and cup competition.

The bookies generally have us as 8th favourites for the title, between Everton and Leicester, and you'd bet on their predictions to be as good as any.

With a couple of reinforcements I'd expect us to compete in a mini league behind the top six with Everton, Leicester and West ham, perhaps Palace or even Fulham as well. I'd say definitely closer to europe than relegation.

The league looks very, very even this year though, I wouldn't be surprised to see relatuvely few points separating 7th place from the relegation battle.

The bookies have us so short because of what we might do in the transfer market, not so much based on what we have now.

Shouldn't we also do that?

I'm always wary of making assumptions of what deals we get over the line. As we saw with Locadia last summer, big centrepiece signings can sometimes go belly-up, and completely change the outlook of a transfer window.

As it happened, it didn't affect us too negatively last year (although we were undoubtedly thin up top for much of last season), but the Premier League is a completely different kettle of fish.

Impossible to judge us at the moment because at this stage of pre season we don't know if the new faces will fit the system of play that served us so well last season.

is the premier League really that good.

Outside the Top 5 It's all much of a muchness, I don't see Arsenal challenging the top 5.
There used to be 3 leagues in the Prem now I see 2, The top 5 then the rest.
I would expect us to be up with Arsenal, Burnley, Everton, West Ham, any where between 5th - 10th.
I also think Fulham may well be up with us.
I expect Cardiff, Southampton, Huddersfield, Brighton, Newcastle, and Watford to be fighting relegation

is the premier League really that good.

Outside the Top 5 It's all much of a muchness, I don't see Arsenal challenging the top 5.
There used to be 3 leagues in the Prem now I see 2, The top 5 then the rest.
I would expect us to be up with Arsenal, Burnley, Everton, West Ham, any where between 5th - 10th.
I also think Fulham may well be up with us.
I expect Cardiff, Southampton, Huddersfield, Brighton, Newcastle, and Watford to be fighting relegation

We'll surprise a few of the big sides, but where we finish overall will boil down to how consistent we are against those sides out of the top six. As the squad stands, I do worry about how many goals we'll score from open play - and now we've lost the delivery of Barry Douglas on set pieces too. When Nuno was at Porto, they had an opportunity to win the league but couldn't score enough and ended up drawing too many games and finishing behind Benfica.

Clearly we are sticking to his favoured system since taking over here - so I don't think we'll be in trouble at the wrong end of the table because the system means we'll be pretty hard to break down - but I also don't think we'll score enough goals to be up there pushing for the European places, which is where some of our fans think we'll be (mainly on other platforms rather than here, I might add - although saying that 62% of the vote on here has us finishing "top 10").

I agree with Tony - at the moment I have us about 12th-14th. Depending on how the next week or so goes with incoming transfers, we *might* push towards that top 10.

Burnley I think will be fine but will finish a lot lower with Europe hampering what is a pretty small squad.

We'll surprise a few of the big sides, but where we finish overall will boil down to how consistent we are against those sides out of the top six. As the squad stands, I do worry about how many goals we'll score from open play - and now we've lost the delivery of Barry Douglas on set pieces too. When Nuno was at Porto, they had an opportunity to win the league but couldn't score enough and ended up drawing too many games and finishing behind Benfica.

Clearly we are sticking to his favoured system since taking over here - so I don't think we'll be in trouble at the wrong end of the table because the system means we'll be pretty hard to break down - but I also don't think we'll score enough goals to be up there pushing for the European places, which is where some of our fans think we'll be (mainly on other platforms rather than here, I might add - although saying that 62% of the vote on here has us finishing "top 10").

I agree with Tony - at the moment I have us about 12th-14th. Depending on how the next week or so goes with incoming transfers, we *might* push towards that top 10.

I'm not to worried about Goals....
The whole season this time will be different, I don't think anyone early season will sit back and look to counter us like last season.
This may come after Christmas when the league has settled down and teams are trying to avoid relegation.

I think we will probably defend and catch teams on the break, the pace and movement of, Cav, Costa, Jota, with th epassing of neves, and Moutinho with the hold up / link play of Jiminez or Bonatini may get us a few goals against the run of play as it were.

Arsenal have made some pretty solid reinforcements so far, they won't be challenging for the title but may still do quite well, it's hard to say really.

We're making season predictions with 10 days to go of the window, it would be quite a pointless pointless exercise without making a few qualified assumptions about our remaining transfer activity. I reckon we'll certainly bring in a couple of players, a wb, a probably a defender, possibly a forward.

I agree with this. Goals will be the biggest issue.

I'm worried our expectations are way too high.

The premier league is a step up from the championship, lots of teams will be better than they were last season, such as Everton & West ham. Fulham have recruited well (arguably better than we have). Huddersfield & Brighton might get 'second season syndrome'.

If we finish 15th i'll be more than happy.

For me the priority is staying in the league so we can build again next summer, although, if we do finish around 15th i could see Neves & Jota going.

The last "set piece" assist that Douglas got was on March 7th vs Leeds. After that Neves pretty much took over free kick duty for anything around the penalty area.
Yes his corner delivery was excellent, from the right, inswinging with his left foot but I really hope that Moutinho, Costa and Cav are able to "kick a ball into the area" from the corner flag.
You can not carry a player in the Premier League because he takes a good corner, the League is too unforgiving

Last edited:
Back