• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Trump

I thought he was saying you pay 100% tax on earnings. Meaning everything you earn you pay to the government.
Everything over 1bn would to go the govt.

Whatever is under 1bn then normal tax rules apply.

It's like normal tax brackets except the top tax bracket applies a 100% rate.

Using simple rounded down figures for the UK.

£0-12k - 0% tax
£12k-50k - 20% tax
£50k+ - 40% tax

If I earn £30k a year I pay 20% on £30k-£12k = £18k (£3,600 income tax) = net income of £26,400 (ignoring NI and pensions)
If I earn £60k a year I pay 20% on £50k-£12k = £38k (£7,600 income tax) plus 40% on the extra £10k (£4,000 income tax) = total of £11,600 income tax = net income of £48,400 (ignoring NI and pensions)

I'm with Rishi, maths teaching in schools here is clearly not working

I'm with Rishi, maths teaching in schools here is clearly not working
I don't think it's maths per se. It's a lack of educating kids about how to apply maths to things like finances, tax, income, mortgages, inflation etc

You know, some actual useful real-life skills that would help kids.

I don't think it's maths per se. It's a lack of educating kids about how to apply maths to things like finances, tax, income, mortgages, inflation etc

You know, some actual useful real-life skills that would help kids.
This is done now, at least in the schools I’ve worked in. It wasn’t when I was a kid, I suppose it was something parents were expected to pass on.

This is done now, at least in the schools I’ve worked in. It wasn’t when I was a kid, I suppose it was something parents were expected to pass on.
That's good to know.

I'm old enough it wasn't taught to me, and my kids are not yet old enough to be taught this stuff.

Life skills / citizenship / PSHE has had a big push lately. I teach business & economics and always included real world stuff even though it wasn’t on the exam spec; I hated that something so important wasn’t covered, but it’s much better now.
The biggest challenge is getting kids to engage with topics that may not be relevant for a few more years.

[Less flippant posts on a Friday afternoon from me]
Surely that should be fewer? 🤔 Unless I'm mistaken, in which case English teaching needs looking at too, Rishi. If I'm right and Tredman is wrong then English teaching still needs looking at too... Now I've confused myself. Fucking English teachers...

Thank God for PE teachers.

Surely that should be fewer? 🤔 Unless I'm mistaken, in which case English teaching needs looking at too, Rishi. If I'm right and Tredman is wrong then English teaching still needs looking at too... Now I've confused myself. Fucking English teachers...
Fuck knows, I taught Maths - ability to spell / use English was not essential

As a rule of thumb "fewer" is for things you can count (I'd prefer fewer peas on my Sunday dinner, ta) and "less" is for things you can't (you should drink less Red Bull as it'll rot your insides).

As a rule of thumb "fewer" is for things you can count (I'd prefer fewer peas on my Sunday dinner, ta) and "less" is for things you can't (you should drink less Red Bull as it'll rot your insides).
So this is an English problem that's affected by Maths? No fucking wonder nobody understands it...

So this is an English problem that's affected by Maths? No fucking wonder nobody understands it...
You know how hard it was explaining to non-Wolves fans that we might be 8th or whatever under Lage but seriously, we are really shit, you just have to trust me on this one?

Teaching the vagaries of English to non-English speakers is way harder than that.

Also: math over maths.

This language is dumb as hell.

Back