• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

It is a 'thing' a recruitment team can eliminate as research is key and I'm sure our team will learn as they only had a half a season at this level to operate, they're just not at it right now by the looks of thinigs. There's plenty of books around for you to read on the subject if you want to educate yourself on football economics (rather than me tell you), but you're coming across as ignorant and you're clearly not. 'These people' as you call them see players identified and turn down Wolves and can't square that circle as, like you and I, we do not have the information as to why and how these targets were identified with not having a good handle on why they would not sign for us. It's partly the press and partly impatience at looking at other clubs and seeing them do business. Going for players and not getting them or the 'we tried' policy is rubbish and pretty pathetic PR.

As for Moxey and his team, if you think that running a football club is all about providing entertainment then you are living in cloud cuckoo land, this is not the place for the discussion but I think Moxey has been there too long and the club has become staid and tired commercially at this level and this is shown with the recent price hike to the fans. As CEO he is responsible for this and I think his time has been and gone.

KT and co are a recruitment team for footballers, not a psychic hotline who can predict the feelings and decisions of players. They can only compile empirical data. A lot of fans seem to want us to make signings for the sake of making signings purely to be seen to be spending money. There's no point in taking a quantity over quality approach as that's what got us into the mess we find ourselves in the first place. Until we remove the mill stone of Group 3 or at least reduce the burden we simply can't afford to make the signings that fans want. That is the reality of the situation.

When debating this topic with someone else they tried to tell me that WWFC was a "pillar of the community" but in reality it's no more so than McDonald's, The Grand Theatre, Travel West Midlands or Carvers. There's obviously more to it than simply providing entertainment but that is the chief aim of a football team. Someone has to be in charge of running the business and if we could find someone who would add as much value as he does than fair enough, Moxey can go. The price hike was purely made to be in line with other clubs at this level and I disagree with that, but do you trust Steve Morgan to find another chief executive? As it stands both you and I buy into the brand of Wolverhampton Wanderers so both he and the commercial team have had some success somewhere along the line. Young people in Wolverhampton generally support their home town team as is not the case in many other places in the country you could name. Football teams have more brand power than companies like Travel West Midlands - if you don't like the service they provide you can wait for the First bus or the Stagecoach bus or the Arriva bus. People generally follow the same football team for as long as they follow football but at the end of it all, that is what a football team is: a brand with which you identify. Overall Jez has been a good custodian for it. He's made mistakes along the line but overall he balances that out with value that he adds.

You're wrong on the player scouting; attitudes, personalities and off field activities are all considered as well as players agents, attitude to injury, team ethic and social interaction. You can't predict everything and some of the worst scouting I've seen is by coaches and managers who only go and see players play in 2 or 3 games. There is an art to recruitment which is rarely known to a lot if people. Michael Calvin's book 'The Nowhere Men' is a decent account of the modern recruitment process. I suggest you read it before making absolute statements on recruitment.

You are completely wrong about collecting empirical data and much of the recruitment process is subjective as empirical data is unreliable, unrelated and has too many variables to be considered a useful statistic for future performance. Much of this has to do with data anylsis and collection. This is poor to average at the moment in football.

I don't agree with your evaluation of Football as a business or Moxey so we will have to agree to disagree. And Moxey has nothing to do with me buying into Wolves the brand

Last edited:
Arriva will take over the from Travel West Midlands in the next 5 years time. Some useless information there for the bus travellers on here. ;-)

Meanwhile Kieran Agard got to Leeds, fell out with the new chairman and didn't sign, so available to play against us tomorrow, assuming he isn't a case of #headsgone

Arriva taking over west mids travel,you sir are having a laugh,west mids travel are excellent compared to arriva,I'm in mid wales and arriva have basically been run out of the area by small bus companies who run reliable services,cheap tickets, good buses,arriva were a complete pile of ****! The train side ain't bad though in my opinion

we had arriva out here for 2 years - ended up packing it in due to huge losses, and the fact that Boris Johnson dumped all Londons rubbish buses on us, including the famous bendy bus which overheated to far and burst into flames

Away from bus nerd talk for a minute:

Sean Taylor @seantaylorpress · 4h
RE Agard
With Leeds 1st to show their hand & have bid accepted, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 1 other club match #lufc offer
#rufc

And then:

Sean Taylor @seantaylorpress · 2h
Told Agard on way back to Rotherham as we speak, where he'll be available for selection tomorrow against, interestingly, Wolves #lufc #rufc

I wonder why "interestingly". Maybe we're in for him.

Could just be the fact we were supposedly interested in him earlier in the summer.

Bamford playing for Chelsea U21s right now (on Sky Sports 5) so I doubt any move anywhere is particularly imminent.

Will put over £1m plus the undisclosed fee back on the P&L which should allow more movement in the transfer market.

Back