• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

At all facets of the game as far as I can see. This is Denes Rosa syndrome all over again. Just because a player isn't featuring they seem to get excessively elevated in reference to their playing ability.
Dont agree, I believe many Wolves think a midfield trio of Price, McDonald and Jacobs has the best balance available for Wolves to play a possession based game through midfield. You want triangles, they provide them.

You actually probably saw more of us last season than I did Mark, but what impressed me about Jacobs was for someone with his ability how hard he worked off the ball. I remember Tranmere away (god knows why I went to that game) and we moved Edwards to right back and Jacobs in the middle with McDonald and he was everywhere. Not that I would play him there regularly just that he worked his socks off and was far better as an orthodox centre midfielder than Edwards was.

IIRC you also went to the Rotherham 6-4 game where Jacobs was played in central midfield. Remember how poor he was then? Had no idea where to stand.

I totally disagree. That would be dropping our best player this season so far. McDonald is the one who needs dropping if anything.

Dont agree, I believe many Wolves think a midfield trio of Price, McDonald and Jacobs has the best balance available for Wolves to play a possession based game through midfield. You want triangles, they provide them.

That midfield 3 would get completely overrun in the Championship. I like the thought behind it but I don't ever see it working.

That midfield 3 would get completely overrun in the Championship. I like the thought behind it but I don't ever see it working.
Thats just conjecture, it should be given the opportunity to show itself in this division, and its criminal that these players haven't been selected together.

Yet the bloke who sees them day in, day out (Jackett) thinks otherwise and to be fair, if Jacobs doesn't pull his finger out he'll be out of the door. Didn't he have a point to prove in this division?

Hadn't both Jacobs and Price both already lost their places in the team prior to the end of last season anyway?

So it's not like they've just be unceremoniously dropped out of nowhere, like Ricketts, come the start of Championship football, Edwards and Evans carried their places over from last season.

Yet the bloke who sees them day in, day out (Jackett) thinks otherwise and to be fair, if Jacobs doesn't pull his finger out he'll be out of the door. Didn't he have a point to prove in this division?

Jacobs and Price haven't been given the opportunity, put those two together with McDonald against a Forest side with two up top and Wolves could be looking at 60% possession. Then watch the games dynamics change when the other sides chasing.

Hadn't both Jacobs and Price both already lost their places in the team prior to the end of last season anyway?

So it's not like they've just be unceremoniously dropped out of nowhere, like Ricketts, come the start of Championship football, Edwards and Evans carried their places over from last season.

Price had, Jacobs was playing where Henry is now.

McDonald and Price were excellent in league one. Bringing Evans in for the last few games may have been harsh on Price at the time. This season Evans has kept his place and his form has been the best of all our midfielders. McDonald has been very poor recently. It defies logic to drop the player on excellent form to see if a change in partner might improve the form of the player in poor form. You drop the player in poor form.

Price had, Jacobs was playing where Henry is now.

So effectively Van la Parra stole Jacobs' place over the summer, and subsequently lost it to Henry, whilst Edwards/Evans just carried on as they were from last year.

Never keen on this line of argument. It implies that the manager is above criticism - they see the players every day, they know more about football than us fans do (in which case, why not have the forum just carrying bland reporting of news every day)...and yet we know full well that managers do stupid things and they should be pulled up on it. I'm still incredulous that KJ said pre-Millwall that we'd been conceding too many goals down our left hand channel when he dropped Stearman and Golbourne when all the problems were clearly (and still are) coming from the other side entirely. He's wrong.

On Price, I would have him back here as an option, we need all the players in that position we can get as we're struggling there - given that McDonald in particular is way out of form and neither Rowe nor Saville have made much of an impact. I don't buy him being the immediate answer to all our problems though.

McDonald and Price were excellent in league one. Bringing Evans in for the last few games may have been harsh on Price at the time. This season Evans has kept his place and his form has been the best of all our midfielders. McDonald has been very poor recently. It defies logic to drop the player on excellent form to see if a change in partner might improve the form of the player in poor form. You drop the player in poor form.
Its important you look for the reasons a player is in poor form do you look at the individual or the unit. I look at the unit as much as the individual within a team concept.

Jacobs and Price haven't been given the opportunity, put those two together with McDonald against a Forest side with two up top and Wolves could be looking at 60% possession. Then watch the games dynamics change when the other sides chasing.

I don't believe that for a second.

First of all Forest didn't play 4-4-2. Matty Fryatt played behind the striker and was probably the best player on the pitch. He completely outplayed McDonald and Rowe and allowed Lansbury to take control of the game in the centre. How is Jack Price going to make a difference in that situation? Tommy Rowe may be a heartless damp squib of a footballer but he can retain possession and plays the same short quick passes that Price does.

As Deutsch says, I'd have him back as an option but I don't see how we'd suddenly go back to 60% possession by throwing him on in a like for like swap with a very similar player.

Our forwards look isolated atm and Jacobs is the last player you want to introduce to that kind of team. He dislikes having opposition players close to him as he's clearly not up to the physical side of the division and maybe, just maybe, he doesn't have the ability to turn a game single-handedly which is what we'd be asking him to do. I was shocked when Derby let Jacobs go for so little last season but maybe we're finding out why.

Its important you look for the reasons a player is in poor form do you look at the individual or the unit. I look at the unit as much as the individual within a team concept.

That is all fair enough, but dropping the player in good form to see if it improves the player in poor form BEFORE you try dropping the player in poor form and seeing if the replacement gels better with the player in good form is almost certain to be detrimental to the unit as a whole.

Problem lies in the fact that we haven't strengthened the started XI one iota since last May.

Disgraceful.

That is all fair enough, but dropping the player in good form to see if it improves the player in poor form BEFORE you try dropping the player in poor form and seeing if the replacement gels better with the player in good form is almost certain to be detrimental to the unit as a whole.
That wasn't my point which is which selection of players together make the best unit. My preference is for Price, McDonald and Jacobs. Now when one or more are removed I then see the other selections being reduced within that unit.

Problem lies in the fact that we haven't strengthened the started XI one iota since last May.

Disgraceful.

We've been steadily weakening it if anything. If you take our strongest run of form last season being those nine straight wins between January and March - none of Doherty, Ebanks-Landell or Edwards were considered to be good enough to get in that team. Yet suddenly they're all starting every game? And with Dicko's absence and having no viable alternative until Graham turned up (and he'll do nothing if he receives such poor and limited service as he did vs Forest), we're much weaker up top as well.

I find the flat out refusal to ever field the same defence that we had for virtually every game from November onwards last season - the same one that kept record numbers of clean sheets, albeit at a level where we should never have been playing - absolutely perverse. Lee Dixon made the point last week that defences work as units, it really is not all about individuals. Why have we been voluntarily messing around with that - and it's not as if the players we've been bringing in to disrupt that are even any good. They have next to no pedigree at this level and precious little quality.

Whereas I see the unit as considerably better with Evans in it. I would definitely like Price back here. Wouldn't object to him getting in the team at the moment, but I would rather see him replace McDonald if Evans is fit.

Disgraceful.

This in Spades

This is our main problem. We have definately strengthened the subs bench but not the starting eleven

We needed a striker and defender BEFoRE the season started and its bit us on the bum

Back