• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

Your banging on about Fletcher being Sheringham like but I've yet to see any manager use him as a no.10. Why's that? I don't see him having anything like the creative ability to do what Sheringham did, even to a remotely lesser extent.
And earlier you compared him to a Giroud who has also never been played anywhere but a no.9 so make your mind up!
For me he's a top header of the ball and can sniff goals out in the penalty box. That's why teams getting plenty of crosses into the box suit his game. Pretty obvious to me.

Just like that you prove my point. The mistake your making is you are looking at where the player plays not the type of player he is. Arsenal haven't played with a traditional striker for a decade and still don't hence the comparison. But I digress, the point remains Fletcher isn't a target man but is still very good in the air and is very adept at linking play. Don't take my word for it YW and TT have both said how useful he is in that position. It is not exclusive for target men to be the only good headers of a ball you know.

I think Fletcher would be a better as a #10 in our system. You think he's a target man. Others disagree, including me, is this difficult for you to accept?

Was up for player of the month. Good footballer. Was he at Hull before?

Yep, I think Phil Brown gave him his debut when he was very young.

As for Fletcher; if you wang long balls at him from deep then he's far better than average at winning them and flicking them on intelligently. It's such a criminal waste of his talents though. He is not a target man. Nor does attacking crosses well make him a target man.

Just like that you prove my point. The mistake your making is you are looking at where the player plays not the type of player he is. Arsenal haven't played with a traditional striker for a decade and still don't hence the comparison. But I digress, the point remains Fletcher isn't a target man but is still very good in the air and is very adept at linking play. Don't take my word for it YW and TT have both said how useful he is in that position. It is not exclusive for target men to be the only good headers of a ball you know.

I think Fletcher would be a better as a #10 in our system. You think he's a target man. Others disagree, including me, is this difficult for you to accept?

You said I was talking garbage earlier and now you tell me Giroud is not a traditional striker?!
I've seen enough of Fletch to know he's a lot more effective in the penalty area than he is outside of it, which to me suggests he's better as a no.9. Not saying he couldn't play 10, but I don't see him having enough ability to affect a game from that position. As a striker, he thrives on crosses and would score goals in most teams when playing to his strengths.

Defending Fletcher whilst hating on Altidore says it all, really.

:icon_lol:

Fletcher has what, 40+ Premier League goals? If Altidore played every game from now until 2114 he might equal that.

As has been pointed out, Fletch looks fucking dreadful for Poyeterland. He offers less than nothing in that side.

I bet you anything you like he still scores more than Dozy this season. 'Useless' or not.

That can happen when you play triple minutes. Regardless, my point is that just as y'all have "seen better" of Fletcher, we American watchers have seen better of Altidore. Legitimate quality goals, not just tap ins and easy stuff.

And as pointed out, over half of his 23 international goals (one more than Crouch has for England from around 30 more games) were against utter dross. Teams ranked below 80 or so in the FIFA rankings.

Goals in the Eredivisie mean very little, he has never looked anything other than hilariously out of his depth in England, not just goals, general play. I don't jest when I say I'd rather have Doyle or Clarke. Altidore has the mobility of a fridge combined with the skill of a fridge and the footballing intelligence of a fridge. I wouldn't back him to look good in League Two.

Fletch qnd jozy are on different planets. Fletcher has excellent technical skills; first touch, flicks, lay off play, short passing, heading...he's a very, very good footballer. Jozy, everytime ive seen him, has looked like a brainless fat lump who has won a competition in 'brainless fat lump monthly'.

I get the distinct impression you don't rate this guy ??

And as pointed out, over half of his 23 international goals (one more than Crouch has for England from around 30 more games) were against utter dross. Teams ranked below 80 or so in the FIFA rankings.

Goals in the Eredivisie mean very little, he has never looked anything other than hilariously out of his depth in England, not just goals, general play. I don't jest when I say I'd rather have Doyle or Clarke. Altidore has the mobility of a fridge combined with the skill of a fridge and the footballing intelligence of a fridge. I wouldn't back him to look good in League Two.

The love in for Altidorr is laughable!

And how have you not seen Fletcher play? Best player I've seen properly in my life time (bull bit too young and keane wasn't around long)

Fletcher has scored as many in twenty minutes of a game than Jozy has in 62 appearances FFS.

As for castigating Sunderland's midfield, look at the absolute state of ours whilst he was here and he averaged better than 1 in 3 which is quite remarkable.

Injuries are well on the way to ruining him though which is a great shame. I thought he'd be at one of the big boys by now without the injuries, he was superb for us.

I get the distinct impression you don't rate this guy ??

I think he's horrific, every available piece of evidence suggests he is as well as my own subjective opinion and I take exception to people who watch far less football than I do and have done telling me that they know better and I don't know what I'm talking about. Because they saw him score against fucking Panama.

Germany and Bosnia, actually.

Back