• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Wolves Archive

Just seen the clip of our 1-0 win v Sunderland in 1991 - Sunderland had 2 players sent off in different incidents for mouthing off at the linesman :ROFLMAO:

Not something you'd see very often these days.

Just seen the clip of our 1-0 win v Sunderland in 1991 - Sunderland had 2 players sent off in different incidents for mouthing off at the linesman :ROFLMAO:

What the highlights didn't show was after we scored the very late winner Sunderland almost equalised too! Crazy game.

Have we ever scored two goals as close together in time than the the two against Derby when Bull broke the record of John Richards?

What an absolute whopper that linesman was :D

"Sir, sir, he said some bad words to me"

People go on about refs now but my word the standard was poor in the 80s and 90s. The Kevin Francis penalty was as late as 1996.

Have we ever scored two goals as close together in time than the the two against Derby when Bull broke the record of John Richards?
Sheff Utd in Jan 1995 has to be close? It was 0-2 on 90 minutes and we drew 2-2.

Also minus points for the Sunderland 1991 ref for the circular red card, could never get on board with that. See also 80s/90s refs booking players without taking the card out of their little wallet.

Sheff Utd in Jan 1995 has to be close? It was 0-2 on 90 minutes and we drew 2-2.
That was a brilliant 5 minutes following an appalling 90, possibly the worst game I've ever been to, seemed to me both keepers spent the whole game punting the ball to one another.

Graham Taylor vs Harry Bassett!

Nathan Blake was electric back then, I liked him a lot for us but I wish we'd got him years earlier. Same as Alex Rae.

Today's update:

1992/93 Season (52 matches)

With the introduction of the Premier League the 2nd tier of English football was now titled Football League 1st Division.

Another mid-table finish where again Wolves never seriously threatened the play-off places, despite having an excellent start to the season where Wolves remained unbeaten for the first 12 league games (winning 5 and drawing 7).

The Stan Cullis Stand (North Bank) was completed for the start of the season.

The next season release (1993/94 season) won't be until early August as I've pretty well caught up with the scheduled games and I'm still only allowed to upload 10 videos every 24 hours (hopefully this will become more numerous once the channel history has been established after 2 months which I'm a couple of weeks away from achieving).

On a separate issue my wife and I are moving to Melbourne, Australia this week.

My son already lives in Melbourne whereas my daughter and her husband and their two-and-a-half year old daughter have just moved in the last week (they both have taken up excellent job opportunities with the same company).

We decided to take this step so as we can be close to our kids, and especially our grand-daughter, who we don't want to miss out on her growing up which has become the most important factor for us. We're both retired and financially independent.

My wife is an Aussie so there's no issue there and we've often been to Melbourne (to see my son). Also we plan to stay for a year to see how it goes before we make the financial commitment of selling up (note Auckland house prices are ridiculously high so we'd actually improve the quality of our home quite easily). We've already got a lease for a year on house in the area we would most likely like to live in.

At least they speak English in Australia, and, to be honest, the difference between Auckland and Melbourne is neither here nor there, although they do play some god-damn awful form of football over there.

Last edited:
Definitely heading a bit closer to me (still a fair whack of distance to where I am on the QLD/NSW border but at least it is the same country)

Derek Dougan was sent off for swearing at a linesman in 1969 against Everton. He received an 8 match ban for the misdemeanor.

Last edited:
Derek Dougan was sent off for swereing at a linesman in 1969 against Everton. He received an 8 match ban for the misdemeanor.
Nearly caused a riot - from memory I think about 40 spectators got injured.

He got the hefty suspension as he had a suspended sentence after being sent-off against Sheffield Wednesday earlier in the season.

Nearly caused a riot - from memory I think about 40 spectators got injured.

He got the hefty suspension as he had a suspended sentence after being sent-off against Sheffield Wednesday earlier in the season.
Sent off by Keith Walker. 84 people were injured.

Today's update:

1993/94 Season (48 matches)

The season saw the completion of the redevelopment of Molineux which was officially opened on 7 December 1993 with Wolves playing Honved in a friendly, nearly 40 years after they famously met in 1955.

After over 7 years in charge Graham Turner resigned as manager to be succeeded by Graham Taylor who saw Wolves finish in 8th spot, 3 points behind the play-off places.

Steve Bull top-scored despite missing a third of the season, highlighted by his hat-trick away at Derby County.

Wolves also enjoyed their best FA Cup run since the early 1980s with a quarter-final loss away to Chelsea but on the way they did beat Premier League Ipswich Town.

Oh and my wife an I have now settled in our new place in Melbourne, Australia - a bit bloody colder than what I expected, but other than that really not too much different to life in Auckland.

We've just spent the day with our grand-daughter !

Today's update:

1994/95 Season (57 matches)

One of those but if seasons and despite suffering extensive injuries to many players, the team finished the season in 4th place, their highest position in the English football since 1983/84, and so qualified for the play-offs.

In the play-off semi-finals they were defeated by the eventual promoted side Bolton Wanderers 2–3 on aggregate.

Many memorable games and I couldn't resist including this game . . . where I'm sure a few here were there:

Also the cult centre back John de Wolf scoring a hat-trick at Port Vale:

But it all came down to the fateful night on May 17th, where a certain Mr. Dunn bottled it in not sending McGinlay off (and probably Kelly as well but then he didn't score the deciding goal).

If it's any consolation YouTube now blocks both Bolton goals for any new uploads, so my video has both their goals removed. Normally I'd just link an existing video but in this case I reckon most Wolves fans would pay NOT to see those goals again.

Last edited:
Hated the way it ended of course but one of my favourite pre-Fosun seasons. Loads of goals and entertainment.

Hated the way it ended of course but one of my favourite pre-Fosun seasons. Loads of goals and entertainment.
I can only comment retrospectively as at the time I was only viewing the results via the newspapers.

To add weight to the woeful luck with injuries, the most league appearances was 38 by David Kelly (out of 46 games) and no midfielder played more than 24 games and no defender played more than 35 games.

It was goals galore for the season, scoring 77 (the most of the league) but conceded 61 for a total of 138 goals. There was three 3-3 draws in 3 weeks in April - incredible.

Wolves drew their last 4 matches and only won 1 of their last 9 matches. Despite that, they only finished 6 pts behind champions Middlesbrough. The Gods were certainly not smiling on Wolves.

Only one automatic promotion place and Middlesbrough were a better team than us, you can pinpoint moments/injuries but we weren't the best team in the league.

Two reasons I don't look back on the Bolton game with *that* much bitterness:

1) I'm not convinced we'd have beaten Reading at Wembley anyway
2) Even back in 1995, I don't think Taylor was up to doing much in the Premier League if we had gone up

Back