• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

I want to go from Atari 2600, through to Spectrum up to N64 and Dreamcast. I really want Amiga and Atari ST..

is $30 cheap enough for you? get a raspberry pi.

anything up to and including SNES/Genesis is very stable. N64/PS1 is mosly solid, but saturn/dreamcast are hit/miss.
I have a Nvidia Shield but laptops are ease of use for me.

is $30 cheap enough for you? get a raspberry pi.

anything up to and including SNES/Genesis is very stable. N64/PS1 is mosly solid, but saturn/dreamcast are hit/miss.

Problem with N64 is the controls, they don't map at all well to an Xbox/PlayStation controller.

Dreamcast is a pain in the hole to emulate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/comments/7ktqiq/how_is_nvidia_shield_for_emulation/

laptops are easy enough. just google it, there are approximately 25,0124,5134,14124,15i12349123,12 articles about setting emulation up and all of the emulators are stable/known-quantities even a decade ago. any laptop can handle any of them, unless you're whipping out something truly ancient.

let me know if you have any trouble acquiring ROM sets.

I want to go from Atari 2600, through to Spectrum up to N64 and Dreamcast. I really want Amiga and Atari ST..

Honestly I don't know much about the emulation scene for things like the Spectrum and Amiga. Given that they never had much if any presence in the US I suppose I've not had a reason to dig into them or their libraries. Emulation of some Japanese PCs (like the MSX or Sharp X86000) is possible, though, so there must be someone somewhere who has done similar work for UK/European computers of the era.

Hell, if someone built an emulator for the PC-FX, then there is hope for almost anything.

You'll start running into some issues from the PS1/N64 on up (and especially the Saturn, as mentioned) with things like a Pi or most "weaker" laptops. A lot of emulators for those systems (up to more recent ones, like rpcs3) can really do a number on your CPU. I'd be more than happy to help recommend specific emulators for each system you want to emulate (short of the UK ones which, as I said, I know next to nothing about).

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/comments/7ktqiq/how_is_nvidia_shield_for_emulation/

laptops are easy enough. just google it, there are approximately 25,0124,5134,14124,15i12349123,12 articles about setting emulation up. let me know if you have any trouble acquiring ROM sets.

If you have a stockpile of Nintendo ROMS I may want to talk to you...

Actually another really easy way to emulate stuff is to pick up a second hand PSP (dirt cheap on eBay), mess around with the firmware (easier than it sounds) and away you go.

anyone who needs roms other than alan please let me know

You can run pretty much all.emulators on the shield. I have N64, Amiga, SNES and PSone. Retroarch does all with a bit of messing.

Actually another really easy way to emulate stuff is to pick up a second hand PSP (dirt cheap on eBay), mess around with the firmware (easier than it sounds) and away you go.

This is a really solid option.

My dad had set up our old Amiga 600 when I went home for Christmas and we had a great time going through all our old games, they’re mostly shit of course but the nostalgia was amazing!

That's the problem with emulators, you spend ages getting them working and the games are nowhere near as good as you remember. I was crushingly disappointed when i got SWOS running on the shield.

Yeah, a load of stuff really hasn't aged well. SWOS is pony, the early ISS games are horribly clunky and not that it's emulation stuff (just old), CM 01/02 is not a good game at all these days. And that's just football games.

I still have my SNES and N64 with games sitting in a cupboard.

I have a snes with its orginal box and a megadrive with a ton of games

I had my BiL go through all my NES stuff and keep what he wanted, sell off the rest. made a few hundred off ebay.

it was one of my favorite possessions but it literally just sat there. an rpi takes up less space than a big plastic Nintendo Power storage unit, several large faux leather game cases, power mats, arcade sticks, etc. :icon_lol:

I had my BiL go through all my NES stuff and keep what he wanted, sell off the rest. made a few hundred off ebay.

it was one of my favorite possessions but it literally just sat there. an rpi takes up less space than a big plastic Nintendo Power storage unit, several large faux leather game cases, power mats, arcade sticks, etc. :icon_lol:
You really don't want to give me those Steam codes, ay? :icon_wink:

would anyone other than alan like a bunch of retro NES hardware for free???

:devilsmile:

I stayed up all night (no sleep!) working on homework that I needed for class this morning. Steam keys weren't really the top of my list. :icon_lol: Gonna get home and try to catch a replay of the Wolves game then take a nap. Maybe I'll find the energy to go through a dozen pages of humble bundle keys some point after that.

would anyone other than alan like a bunch of retro NES hardware for free???

:devilsmile:

I stayed up all night (no sleep!) working on homework that I needed for class this morning. Steam keys weren't really the top of my list. :icon_lol: Gonna get home and try to catch a replay of the Wolves game then take a nap. Maybe I'll find the energy to go through a dozen pages of humble bundle keys some point after that.

I did reply last night that if you could let me know what's on offer I'd be interested... Am I on "ignore"? :icon_lol:

why is no one answering me? guess I'll just delete those steam keys. oh well.

Back