• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

I got the 16Gb version, but I've put a 64Gb micro SD card in to expand the storage. Can also use external usb hard drives I believe.

I mainly got it to use as a streamer in the conservatory - it does this via wifi very well. Full HD in Netflix, plus live tv via Kodi and my PVR backend.

It doesn't have steam as far as i know, but has GeForce now, which lets you play PC games direct from the cloud. Only played one or two games on there, so far, but they seem excellent. All played using wifi.

It's by far and away the most powerful android box around and very nice to use. You can do something similar to steam link and use GameStream to play PC games on there, not sure if that would work with Steam games though.

There's also some very decent android games too, like HL2.

All in all I'm very happy with it, it's seems to be a great all rounder. That said I'm not a massive gamer.

Big thread discussing it on another forum I waste time on here:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/nvidia-shield-android-tv-owners-thread.1964253/

Dropped down to £120 with remote at some places today!!

Anyone getting Rainbow Six tomorrow?

There's a crew of about 8 of us so we have high hopes for this game as it very much seems like a game designed to play with friends, rather than randomers. The last game we all got on and played for hours and hours was GTA - one of the best moments being when the heists were released and on one particular heist, having to work as a team of four while sniping guards and breaking in to a building using stealth tactics. Rainbow Six relies upon tactics, rather than the rush and shoot style of COD, and it relies upon how well you and your friends can work together.

I might not get it tomorrow but it's certainly looking like my next purchase.

Still massively addicted to Star Wars.

Two friends of mine enjoyed it so much that they each bought an Xbox One with a copy of the game. They're just sorting out Xbox Live Gold Membership, then it's multiplayer all the way. It's actually a bit deeper than I first thought, with the unlockable 'cards' you can buy with the XP you get from each match. And the game modes are different enough to offer a decent, wide variety of gameplay.

Loving it.

In other news, I bought Super Smash Bros for the Wii U today. Double Clubcard boost from Tescos so it cost me next to nothing! But I can't play it til Christmas. Not a massive issue though as no other games are getting a look in at the moment!

Feel like i potentially missed a trick on Black Friday not taking up Amazon on their offer of a PS4 500GB with FIFA and Uncharted collection for £250, ummed and arred a bit too long and missed out, now I can only find same console/Uncharted bundle for £250 but no other games included, not that fussed about not getting FIFA just annoying to think I'd be paying the same money for less.

Seen a few places have the same thing but with 1TB console for £270 or so as well, not sure if it's worth spending the extra bit of money for more capacity?

Yeah it is - I think it takes up a similar amount of space per game as the XB1 - I had to get an external hard drive to add to my console for extra storage because 500GB doesn't last all that long.

Feel like i potentially missed a trick on Black Friday not taking up Amazon on their offer of a PS4 500GB with FIFA and Uncharted collection for £250, ummed and arred a bit too long and missed out, now I can only find same console/Uncharted bundle for £250 but no other games included, not that fussed about not getting FIFA just annoying to think I'd be paying the same money for less.

Seen a few places have the same thing but with 1TB console for £270 or so as well, not sure if it's worth spending the extra bit of money for more capacity?

For £250, that was a good deal.

Yeah it is - I think it takes up a similar amount of space per game as the XB1 - I had to get an external hard drive to add to my console for extra storage because 500GB doesn't last all that long.

I doubt I'll end up getting that many games for it in the immediate future to be fair but I imagine games like Fallout, Just Cause and the new Ghost Recon will potentially take up a fair whack of space with their open world goodness, might be worth the extra outlay just to make sure, especially as I don't think you can play games directly from an external drive with the PS4.

I had realised until Friday that there were already on a sort of 2nd generation of PS4, proves difficult on some websites to know if you're getting the newer or older model. When I was looking on Game's website Friday they had deals with seemed the same initially but I think they had sold out of all the new generation consoles, ones with Uncharted branded packaging, but were still selling effectively the same bundle for the same price with the older consoles and a copy of Uncharted tagged on.

I doubt I'll end up getting that many games for it in the immediate future to be fair but I imagine games like Fallout, Just Cause and the new Ghost Recon will potentially take up a fair whack of space with their open world goodness, might be worth the extra outlay just to make sure, especially as I don't think you can play games directly from an external drive with the PS4.

I had realised until Friday that there were already on a sort of 2nd generation of PS4, proves difficult on some websites to know if you're getting the newer or older model. When I was looking on Game's website Friday they had deals with seemed the same initially but I think they had sold out of all the new generation consoles, ones with Uncharted branded packaging, but were still selling effectively the same bundle for the same price with the older consoles and a copy of Uncharted tagged on.

Some games have massive files - especially the big open world games like Fallout, Witcher 3 etc. I'd thoroughly recommend getting the extra storage.

I didn't know there was a newer version - what's the difference?

Smaller motherboard and some other shuffling around internally, apparently makes it more efficient and thus runs cooler and quieter. They changed the casing too so now it's all matt finish rather than having gloss on the one end, easy enough to tell the difference if you see the box in person as the model number is on there but not all websites have a picture of the packaging and even on a lot that have it pictured you can't zoom in to be able to read the number.

Just wanted to say thanks to Langers for the heads-up on the Forza Horizon 2 deal. I also have never been that fussed about racing games but I liked the sound of it and it's proving great fun. £15 definitely a bargain.

Im going to get back into gaming again next year but I don't want to do any real single player stuff more multiplayer again. So who on here does a lot of Xbox one multiplayer that I can eventual add and play some games with. ?

Wowsers. That's pretty fucking decent!

That's an insanely good deal!!

I won't tell my notoriously tight mate who paid £270 for a 1TB with Star Wars Battlefront less than a week ago....!

Good price but bit of a faff having to get yourself a UK power lead and potentially difficult to shift any of the games you don't want as they'll be in French packaging I'd have thought.

Not really a faff. You can get UK/US plug adapters for less than a fiver off ebay. I just bought one for my new phone charger.

Watching the boy charge through Far Cry 4 now. 11 year old mega gamer is loving it. Great game as well.

Well I've been caning Star Wars Battlefront since it launched and it definitely improves the more you play it. I'm now partying up with a few friends which adds loads more to the experience. And it's taken me nearly a month to work out that you can slow down X-Wings/TIE fighters when you're flying them - which helps shitloads with dogfights! Absolutely brilliant fun, and so easy to drop in and out of. I don't think people with several days worth of gametime have that significant an advantage, as my friends who have been playing for just a few days sometimes finish near the top of the leaderboards. Loving it.

Also - I now have everything I need for the kids' Christmas presents, as I had some vouchers I put towards a Wii U. I also managed to get some absolute bargains so the overall cost wasn't actually all that much. They've got:

Premium console with Mario Kart 8 pre-installed
Super Smash Bros Wii U
Nintendo Land
Wii Party U
Scribblenauts Unlimited
FIFA 13
Wii Quiz (the last 2 were free with the console)
2 x Wii U remotes (with motion plus)
2 x Wii wheels for Mario Kart

They have absolutely no idea they're getting this - and they will go nuts when they open it. I really can't wait to see their reactions! Naturally I will be a good parent and ensure it's all in good working order. It might take me a few days though.

Back