• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The TWF Horse Racing Thread

Because I hate to see so many horses falling the way they do and to see four deaths on the national course is not what racing is about.

I agree, i hate to see any horse fall and the deaths are horrible. It's always going to happen in the sport and it's not always because of the fences, the 2 deaths in the foxhunters were not caused by falls. For me the problem is the difference in height from the jumping to the landing side with the national fences and that's what needs to be changed as i don't see the races being stopped.

I stopped paying an interest in the National after Synchronized died. I don't watch it, bet on it or take in part in sweep stakes any more. Although I don't think there have been any fatalities since then, so hopefully the improvements are making a difference.

There were also too many deaths at Cheltenham this year (7), I'd be interested to see the results of the enquiry which was promised into this. I accept that there will be equine deaths in the sport and that the majority of horses are bred to race and wouldn't be alive if racing didn't exist, but there seems to be an increased number of horse deaths at the festival or at the least they are publicised more. On average in the UK a horse dies at the track approximately once every 3 days so there is something wrong with 7 in 4 all at the same course, even if you factor in the obvious increased likelihood in NH racing versus flat/aw.

I stopped paying an interest in the National after Synchronized died. I don't watch it, bet on it or take in part in sweep stakes any more. Although I don't think there have been any fatalities since then, so hopefully the improvements are making a difference.

There were also too many deaths at Cheltenham this year (7), I'd be interested to see the results of the enquiry which was promised into this. I accept that there will be equine deaths in the sport and that the majority of horses are bred to race and wouldn't be alive if racing didn't exist, but there seems to be an increased number of horse deaths at the festival or at the least they are publicised more. On average in the UK a horse dies at the track approximately once every 3 days so there is something wrong with 7 in 4 all at the same course, even if you factor in the obvious increased likelihood in NH racing versus flat/aw.

At Cheltenham "only" 3 of the 7 were down to falls (I know it 3 to many), in fact since the first day of cheltenham till today there has been 22 deaths 9 of which have been attributed to falls including 2 dying last week at the seasons first big flat meeting at Doncaster, no doubt it is publicised more but there has to be more then just looking at the fences, training methods and breeding also has to come into, you are into 4 and 5 generations of the same lineage and they are not breeding but inbreeding in some cases.

I've got a free bet on The Last Samuri.

Otherwise I'll wait it out until near the off as I want to see what the ground is like. There was apparently a lot of rain overnight and if we've got genuinely soft ground I can strike a line through a fair few. I'd fancy Goonyella and Unioniste if the ground is properly soft.

For me, if Silvinaco Conti stay on his feet, he'll win.

Gone for Ballycassey as my outsider.

I've backed Shutthefrontdoor, Holywell, Silviniaco Conti, Saint Are and Many Clouds cos Aspell is a proven jockey around these fences.

Holywell, Many Clouds and the Druids Nephew for me & hadrians approach as my outsider

just had Ubak come in at 16-1 so thats covered my stakes for later

Pissing down at Aintree at the minute.

Thistlecrack is just a ridiculous horse.

What an absolute monster. Barring the second last he's pinged every hurdle. Extraordinary.

If he takes to fences nothing will stop him at that distance. He's had a long season and just keeps going. Relentless.

There are some wonderful racehorses about at the moment.

Unioniste
Saint Are
Goonyella
Silvi
Just A Par
Rule The World

This rain is going to make it a right old test. Not particularly confident on Silvi but I can't leave him unbacked.

Unioniste and Goonyella will love the ground.

Hope they all come back safe and sound.

This is going to take some doing now.

Holywell and First Lieutenant both fallers already.

Conti pulled up.

Good race for the bookies so far.

Last Samurai and Many Clouds looking good to contest this at the end.

Back