• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Transfer Thread 2024/25 - Everything Not Wolves

Madness. Could have had a decent keeper for the foreseeable future rather than an ok one for a couple of seasons.
Will see how he is. I'm not a fan (not a massive Johnstone fan either) but if we are directing funds to outfield players I am not overly concerned

Will see how he is. I'm not a fan (not a massive Johnstone fan either) but if we are directing funds to outfield players I am not overly concerned
I’d be less concerned if we were looking at CHs and LBs.

£18m up front plus add ons up to £25m. Surely that was affordable?
Ramsdale for £18m plus add ons, which presumably would be self funding, is a better deal than Johnstone for £10m. Superior keeper and 6 years younger. Perhaps those that were gaslit yesterday by LLs £30m peddled by the club can see the way it works now?

Ramsdale for £18m plus add ons, which presumably would be self funding, is a better deal than Johnstone for £10m. Superior keeper and 6 years younger. Perhaps those that were gaslit yesterday by LLs £30m peddled by the club can see the way it works now?
The £30m wasn't club peddled. That was reported by all journos, not just ours. Just surprised that they dropped that so quickly but I guess the sale happening now rather than in 2025 helped. No doubt Ramsdale putting pressure on as well after seeing 3 clubs walk away

The £30m wasn't club peddled. That was reported by all journos, not just ours. Just surprised that they dropped that so quickly but I guess the sale happening now rather than in 2025 helped. No doubt Ramsdale putting pressure on as well after seeing 3 clubs walk away
..in 24hrs, Magic beans stuff if you believe it.

Cash decision rather than a PSR or balance sheet one. I’m agree with @Tony Towner that it looks a poor business and playing decision not to pursue the interest in Ramsdale.

..in 24hrs, Magic beans stuff if you believe it.
Well if the non Wolves journos are reporting it then the club have a deep reach.
It was even being reported this afternoon that Arsenal would have to drop their demands after discussions with Southampton.
It is a dramatic flip though from them. Thought it would drag on until Friday

Would wages be just as much of an obstacle as fee? With a loan you potentially get some of that offset for the first 12 months and at least kick the can down the road until next summer when you maybe make it permanent.

Clearly Arsenal decided £20m this summer is more beneficial to them than than holding out for £30m next summer that they might not get. I don't know their finances.

Well if the non Wolves journos are reporting it then the club have a deep reach.
It was even being reported this afternoon that Arsenal would have to drop their demands after discussions with Southampton.
It is a dramatic flip though from them. Thought it would drag on until Friday

Their replacement for him is already lined up and that may have been a driver to ensure that it happened.

Cash decision rather than a PSR or balance sheet one. I’m agree with @Tony Towner that it looks a poor business and playing decision not to pursue the interest in Ramsdale.
I'm no defender of our strategy in the transfer market but maybe my rational dislike of Ramsdale is the dominant thought for me.

I'm no defender of our strategy in the transfer market but maybe my rational dislike of Ramsdale is the dominant thought for me.
I didn’t want him either.

Clearly Arsenal decided £20m this summer is more beneficial to them than than holding out for £30m next summer that they might not get. I don't know their finances.
But we could have paid it this year. There's nothing suggested that the Johnstone payment is in next FY. That's £10m of the £18m, spread that across the length of his contract and it's less that a £2m difference in 24/5

But we could have paid it this year. There's nothing suggested that the Johnstone payment is in next FY. That's £10m of the £18m, spread that across the length of his contract and it's less that a £2m difference in 24/5
Could be cash coming in for Sa too

I watched Ipswich's O'Shea in person tonight. Lucky escape, fortunate not to get sent off as well. Average against Wimbledon, but the whole back line couldn't handle set pieces

I watched Ipswich's O'Shea in person tonight. Lucky escape, fortunate not to get sent off as well. Average against Wimbledon, but the whole back line couldn't handle set pieces
O' Shea has had a few Red cards in his time , that would not be unusual at all .

Back