• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Things You Are HAPPY About Thread.

I honestly have no idea what I'll do once I hit my sixties. The only pension I have is the recently introduced government one so I guess I'll be working for a long, long time. My Dad keeps telling me that when he dies, half of the house will be my pension but I'll probably need that to pay off the huge amount of debt I'll have by then. Happy days. It's a sad state of affairs when you start thinking it'd be better if I popped it when I'm 59 as the family get 2 insurance payouts for me if I die before I hit 60!

Why am I writing this on the happy thread?!!

Well you me or even the cleverest of people on here or elsewhere know, 100% sure, what happens after life - move to another Galaxy and where we were barrel scrapers on Earth we become Bill Gates et al there - HAPPY DAYS AHEAD!!!!?????

I bumped into an old workmate in Sainsbury' Bentley Bridge a couple of weeks ago. Told me had retired 10 months ago and he is at a loss what to do now he isn't working anymore. I'm 48 so are outside the scope of this new change but I will hopefully be fit enough in mind and body to work on well past the time I can retire - although preferably part-time (only do a 4 day week nowadays anyhow)

That's sad really,to have all the time in the world, but to not know what to do with it. Mr P retires soon, as a leaving present im getting him/us a Tandem and gonna go touring around Scotland.Fortunately he doesn't know this yet.

That's sad really,to have all the time in the world, but to not know what to do with it. Mr P retires soon, as a leaving present im getting him/us a Tandem and gonna go touring around Scotland.Fortunately he doesn't know this yet.

:yikes:

Wow the English (even with a bit of yank inside) hating Scottish rainy freezing cold place - Well I suppose there is always the compensation of what will be massaging his back to keep his pecker up

:yikes:

Wow the English (even with a bit of yank inside) hating Scottish rainy freezing cold place - Well I suppose there is always the compensation of what will be massaging his back to keep his pecker up

Ok, maybe not Scotland then :icon_lol: Massaging, getting ones pecker up, does one still do those kind of things in retirement!!

I remember my dad telling me that a lot of people that he had worked with down the pit had major problems when they retired because they didn't have any interests or hobbies.

Essentially their life for 50 years had been work. Sadly quite a lot of these guys had a short retirement.

I have a few friends/acquaintances in academia who are terrified to retire (despite being of retirement age) as they're not sure what to do with themselves. One of them works 12 hour days, or comes into work despite it being unnecessary.

My boss retired a couple of weeks ago, after 27 years here, and when I was speaking with him before I left he seemed really unsure about what he was going to do.

He's said all along that he'll set up so he can do some freelance stuff and pop back in when we're busy or he's bored, I can't see him being able to keep that distant though so if he'd probably end up working essentially full time again if he came back, he was looking to have a month or so doing a bit of travelling and finishing off some jobs at home before deciding what to do long term. I think if he gets through that month without missing work then he'll probably never come back, his wife runs an antiques business so I think he'll just end up helping with that most of the time and filling the rest of his time with golf, travelling and cricket when the weather allows. He seems to have enough interests to keep him occupied but you could tell he loved his job so it'll still be quite a shock to the system for him I'd think.

My boss retired a couple of weeks ago, after 27 years here, and when I was speaking with him before I left he seemed really unsure about what he was going to do.

He's said all along that he'll set up so he can do some freelance stuff and pop back in when we're busy or he's bored, I can't see him being able to keep that distant though so if he'd probably end up working essentially full time again if he came back, he was looking to have a month or so doing a bit of travelling and finishing off some jobs at home before deciding what to do long term. I think if he gets through that month without missing work then he'll probably never come back, his wife runs an antiques business so I think he'll just end up helping with that most of the time and filling the rest of his time with golf, travelling and cricket when the weather allows. He seems to have enough interests to keep him occupied but you could tell he loved his job so it'll still be quite a shock to the system for him I'd think.

Would say the first 6 months are hard to adjust.Think what my hubby will have difficulty with is not having a weekly planner/ time schedule to stick to. He'll have lots to occupy his self but will need to get into the thinking that his time is his own and he doesnt have to get things done by a certain time! For the most part he's loved his work, loved the challenges, loved the problem solving, which he is bound to miss. He won't miss the travelling.

Would say the first 6 months are hard to adjust.Think what my hubby will have difficulty with is not having a weekly planner/ time schedule to stick to. He'll have lots to occupy his self but will need to get into the thinking that his time is his own and he doesnt have to get things done by a certain time! For the most part he's loved his work, loved the challenges, loved the problem solving, which he is bound to miss. He won't miss the travelling.

As someone who took this step only 18 mths ago am possibly well placed to comment.

In many ways unless the job is so physically demanding that you need to stop then it is better to wait till you are getting actively annoyed with the work rather than just stopping at a given age (I worked a bit beyond my official retirement age and wasn't ready to stop on the relevant birthday). If you are in the UK you can defer the state pension & whilst they have reduced the % uplift rate it is still a lot better than you get off other investments.

Need to make sure that you have interests lined up both ones which you enjoy doing on your own & ones which take you into a community (important if you are on your own, but possibly equally so if you have a partner as neither will have been used to spending 24/7 together & I have seen that cause upsets)

If you still want the discipline of turning out regularly for a specific task then consider volunteering - in any location there will be any number of organisations crying out for help & you will find somewhere where your working skills are of real benefit.

Apart from anything else enjoy your time, take things in a more relaxed way, just take off on the spur of the moment if something looks interesting, go places when they are less busy which you couldn't when you only had the weekend to do this.

Finally take time to sit & relax rather than having to cram onto a rush hour train

I believe it is mandatory for retirees to use the supermarket/Post Office during weekday lunchtimes to annoy everyone else. You have all day!

I believe it is mandatory for retirees to use the supermarket/Post Office during weekday lunchtimes to annoy everyone else. You have all day!

It's Thursday as well mate. You picked the wrong day!

It's Thursday as well mate. You picked the wrong day!

Presume that you are referring to pension day - but most now don't do that. Direct credit into the bank every 4 weeks, some of us are 'silver surfers' & can deal with modern technology

:smashpc:

Presume that you are referring to pension day - but most now don't do that. Direct credit into the bank every 4 weeks, some of us are 'silver surfers' & can deal with modern technology

:smashpc:

I'm telling you now - you're in the minority!!! Old habits die hard and all that.

I'm telling you now - you're in the minority!!! Old habits die hard and all that.

You may be right, but as I don't do that & am not in the Post Office on the relevant day then don't see it.

Can't see the point, rarely want that much in cash anyway. All bills are paid via direct debit or through online payment & there's always the contactless card anyway.

I think it's to disturb and annoy the general public.

I can't say I won't do the same when I'm that age.

If you ever want to see a lot of angry people in one place, go to the Post Office on Lichfield Street. I've never seen anything like it...

If you ever want to see a lot of angry people in one place, go to the Post Office on Lichfield Street. I've never seen anything like it...

Good enough reason to get the pension paid direct - don't do angry now, bad for the blood pressure

Back