• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Things You Are HAPPY About Thread.

Definitely the pettiness coming out in me here, but at work, we are in the last week of a 4 week training phase, and I have a trainee who did not apply herself at all, sat around in class, didn't want to participate in practical exercises etc, even told me during a 1 2 1 that she finds training 'boring'.

They have just taken their final exam in order to be certified by Google, and she has failed by 2%. Now normally we can make an exception if we feel someone made a great effort but failed by a small margin due to nerves etc, and this is what she has just asked me, but being completely honest and transparent, her performance overall does not merit an exception and so she will be exited.

sad as it is, I feel its a nice kind of karmic justice for her shitty attitude and effort.

Make sure you tell her why as well. Maybe she'll actually put some effort in next time.

Make sure you tell her why as well. Maybe she'll actually put some effort in next time.

Yeah this. I don't think you've been petty and it's actually a good opportunity for them to learn something from it where they would not have if you passed them!

Agree with the above, because if you did give her a pass there's a good chance she'd take that as tacit approval to carry on as she has done. Build up the tension in an Alan Sugar-stylee before you give her the tin tack though please.

Right decision DDW - only 2% short shows that she wouldn't have had to try that hard to get a pass mark without having put that much more effort in

Was it clearly explained to her before the course started how the candidates would be assessed? Did you discuss your concerns with her during the 1 2 1 and mention to her that it was a course requirement to participate in the practical elements?

Was it clearly explained to her before the course started how the candidates would be assessed? Did you discuss your concerns with her during the 1 2 1 and mention to her that it was a course requirement to participate in the practical elements?

Yep. Course requirements are explained on day 1. She was aware of the structure and pass marks etc.
It was during a 1 2 1 when I asked her why she wasn't participating in the practical elements that she told me it was boring.

Main lesson here I think is if you don't buy the teacher a selection of craft ales you can forget about passing....

Surely anyone should know that if your employment is dependent on passing a course, then you give it 100% (unless you don't actually care if you get the job either way).

Sounds like you found the Google equivalent of Marlon Harewood, Roberto...

Personally I would be more disappointed in myself if the candidate didn't meet the measured course objectives.

Some people can't be helped though. Doesn't matter how much effort you put in, they either can't learn what you're telling them or more likely, don't want to.

Personally I would be more disappointed in myself if the candidate didn't meet the measured course objectives.

16 trainees took the test.
15 passed.

Should I lose sleep about this 1 trainee who coasted through training then failed despite my best efforts?

nah, think I'd rather have a glass of wine and take pride in another 15 people about start work at Google thanks to my best efforts :icon_wink:

Some people can't be helped though. Doesn't matter how much effort you put in, they either can't learn what you're telling them or more likely, don't want to.

1 of the questions in my interview:

"if you had a class of ten, and one failed, who would you blame"

Obviously if the opposite happens, and 9 fail and 1 pass, thats on the trainer.

I managed teams in my past life when I had a proper job rather than dicking about writing crap on the Internet, sometimes there genuinely is nothing you can do. You can lead a horse to water and all that.

Most people did listen to what I had to say and they were the ones who progressed, those who didn't just had to listen to me getting exasperated every day.

That is so true. I was one of those that couldn't learn. No matter how I tried, nothing would sink in. I wanted to, but I couldn't. One of my maths teachers sticks in my mind, lovely man, patient and understanding, but even be couldn't help me. In the end I just thought, fuck it :(

That's not really your fault though, no-one is good at everything, some things just don't suit. I hadn't a clue with anything scientific at school, I tried but it was no good. Just not built for that.

When people don't try to learn because they can't be bothered, especially as adults, then that is incredibly frustrating.

That's not really your fault though, no-one is good at everything, some things just don't suit. I hadn't a clue with anything scientific at school, I tried but it was no good. Just not built for that.

When people don't try to learn because they can't be bothered, especially as adults, then that is incredibly frustrating.

Yes but you know what you are good at now DW, Hahaha I'm in my 50's and I still don't know what I'm good at :icon_lol: I should imagine it was just as frustrating for my teachers as it was for me.

I agree that it is frustrating. However I wouldn't be 'happy' that one of my candidates didn't meet the course objectives.

16 trainees took the test.
15 passed.

Should I lose sleep about this 1 trainee who coasted through training then failed despite my best efforts?

nah, think I'd rather have a glass of wine and take pride in another 15 people about start work at Google thanks to my best efforts :icon_wink:

It sounds as if you did everything you could, and it obviously was not your fault if one person could not be bothered to make the effort.

Enjoy the wine...

Back