• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Tennis Thread

Cilic takes the first set and looks very strong, but as we know Federer has great durability.

Cilic takes the first set and looks very strong, but as we know Federer has great durability.

I think it's more a case of whether Cilic can keep up his brilliant play - surely he can't play like this for 3 sets.

I think it's more a case of whether Cilic can keep up his brilliant play - surely he can't play like this for 3 sets.

Agreed, but he has started the second set in the same frame of mind. Federer has to dig very deep here.

Time for me to retire. Federer two sets down, though I expect I will wake up to him having won by 3 sets to 2.

Cilic wins it in straight sets.

So either Cilic or Nishikori will become only the fourth player outside the "Big Four" to win a major since 2005 - Del Potro, Safin and Wawrinka being the other three.

Cilic wins it in straight sets.

So either Cilic or Nishikori will become only the fourth player outside the "Big Four" to win a major since 2005 - Del Potro, Safin and Wawrinka being the other three.

Apparently it is the first time since 2005 that there will be a final without one of the "big four" in it.

The seeding has helped this year. Cilic has always had big weapons with his serve and forehand and when it clicks you can topple anybody.

No idea how Nishikori wiped Novak away. Incredible performance.

Djokovic, Federer, Nadal... who's the fourth?

I dunno....

Some Murray chap.

Have a look at his record. Regular semi-finalist.

Not sure I'd include him in that group tbh. Obviously an elite player but that elite? More like Roddick for me.

He's made seven Grand Slam finals since 2008. Roddick made five in his entire career.

In that timeframe (2008 - present) no-one else outwith Fed/Rafa/Novak has made more than two.

That's a fair enough point. Didn't realize he'd been to that many. Always thought of him as a semi merchant.

Murray is certainly up there with them for me, on his game he's fantastic! I know he got to the semi final of this tournament but I can't see Roger winning anything again :(

Added to that it is safe to say that Rafa will never get close to winning Wimbledon again.

True. Two truly incredible players though, and both very likeable!

I despise Federer fwiw. Probably mostly because he beat Roddick in that crazy crazy final a few years back.

The Wimbledon one where the fifth set went on for ages? I love Federer, probably my favourite sportsman.

I think Federer has got one more big tournament in him. Nadal could be broken with all his injuries, and Murray has gone backwards since winning Wimbledon.

Murray's downturn in fortunes is basically due to injuries (well, an injury) too tbf. That was major back surgery and was bound to have an impact on someone who relies so much on physical endurance. He's coming back though, I expect him to perform better next year.

Back