• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Tennis Thread

I know they will rarely win tournaments and such but read my last post please

I have read it, who are you talking about? Who are these players infesting tournaments with their intensely dull play that cannot be beaten? I don't think they exist. They are a few big servers who have nothing else, they get papped out early, all the time, regardless of surface.

Surely the joy is that the different surfaces breed different games. Clay is the game of chess because there are very few short points. Grass is the shorter points but you still need great touch, hard courts are somewhere in the middle.

Each type of game has its merits.

I have read it, who are you talking about? Who are these players infesting tournaments with their intensely dull play that cannot be beaten? I don't think they exist. They are a few big servers who have nothing else, they get papped out early, all the time, regardless of surface.
We have already named them..maybe im all alone thinking it is not exciting when they play

No - what we are saying is they don't hang around for long because the better players fuck them up beyond all recognition 9 times out of 10.

Why no progress, you have evolution of people, why not the sport?

We have already named them..maybe im all alone thinking it is not exciting when they play

No-one disagrees with you on that point...but they lose all the time. So you don't have to watch them for very long.

If we were set for a quarter final line up of 4 x serveatrons vs 4 x serveatrons then we'd have a problem, of course. But we don't. There isn't a problem, the game is set up in such a way that you don't get rewards just for being able to hammer a serve down, you'll get nowhere.

Anderson - 1 Slam Q-F
Isner - 1 Slam Q-F (6 years ago) never been past the 3rd Round at Wimbledon
Karlovic - 1 Slam Q-F (8 years ago)

I know I have played the game half my life..so i will wait until the qf to watch a grass or hardcourt grand slam..great :)

It has evolved.

Look at the way players like Murray play on grass now. Different world from McEnroe volley game.
With you on that paddy, i just think the net need to be adjusted to evolution..

It has evolved.

Look at the way players like Murray play on grass now. Different world from McEnroe volley game.

Or even Henman, you're only going back about 15 years since he was a genuine contender here.

But you do that and you push it even further in favour of baseliners. Grass tennis isn't clay. I don't want to watch Roland Garros with a London accent.

I know I have played the game half my life..so i will wait until the qf to watch a grass or hardcourt grand slam..great :)

They very rarely make the Q-F's , 1 appearance each in their entire careers. They get bounced out of tournaments early, when there are plenty of other matches on to watch.

If we were getting Isner v Karlovic and Anderson v Groth in the semi's I would agree, but we aren't and won't get that.

They very rarely make the Q-F's , 1 appearance each in their entire careers. They get bounced out of tournaments early, when there are plenty of other matches on to watch.

If we were getting Isner v Karlovic and Anderson v Groth in the semi's I would agree, but we aren't and won't get that.
Exactly, hence my post..

But what is the issue then. There are probably four monsters. If they are lucky one of them might make the fourth round. More chance of watching two Brits at that stage.

But you do that and you push it even further in favour of baseliners. Grass tennis isn't clay. I don't want to watch Roland Garros with a London accent.
I know that, different sports..but they need to do something in grass tennis..not in favour of baseliners, in favour of talent

They really don't.

Anyway - just so people know, if Konta is able to beat Halep (tough ask) she will definitely go to World Number 4. She would need to win the whole shooting match to go above Kerber into number 3 spot.

But what is the issue then. There are probably four monsters. If they are lucky one of them might make the fourth round. More chance of watching two Brits at that stage.
In general not just these players mentioned..arent you a lawyer?

Kerber(much like Djokovic) hasn't been the same player as last year

In general not just these players mentioned..arent you a lawyer?

Ex-lawyer.

I work in a factory these days!

Anyway, no I don't think anything in general needs to be done. I like the fast points in grass. There is still a HUGE amount of skill in grass court tennis.

Agreed on Kerber - definitely gone backwards. I make Halep the clear favourite for the women's title. The winner of her game with Konta would probably be the winner of the title, although who really knows with a wide open Serena-free draw.

Back