• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Tennis Thread

Djokovic races through set 3. Anderson needs to win it here if he is to go through imo

Agree that Anderson needs to win in 4 if he is to go through - Djokovic levels and would expect him to win from that point

exquisite passing shot from Anderson to win that game. Still think Novak will serve out for the set.

2-2.

Djokovic should win this from here.

Anderson doesn't have the mobility and he is struggling to out hit Djokovic. The evening break may help!

Seriously??? There is a court with lights and a roof there. Fucking use it.

2 sets all. Play is suspended. Probably a good thing for Anderson, if they had completed tonight I think Novak would of ran through the fifth. Gives Anderson a chance to recharge and come out swinging tomorrow

Ah, I'd have finished tonight. I expect Novak to cruise it tomorrow.

Seriously??? There is a court with lights and a roof there. Fucking use it.

The roof is there in case of rain, not for bad light.

Monfils-Simon was moved as the winner was playing today and no play on Sunday unless bad weather in Week 1. Had to complete that match on Saturday, this one can be completed tomorrow as winner doesn't play until Wednesday

They used it for bad light in several previous matches. Including a Murray game and also a final.

Agreed. However, what was the problem with shutting the roof while the fourth set was on and then having it set up to complete the match?

The roof was closed for the final in 2012 because of rain, not light

Agreed. However, what was the problem with shutting the roof while the fourth set was on and then having it set up to complete the match?

Because Wimbledon is an outdoor tournament, so as best as possible it needs to be competed in outdoor conditions. If they were on Centre then they would of shut the roof, but as they weren't they made the call to come back tomorrow when both players have a free day, rather than move everything over.

I appreciate all your points, and they are all correct. I was just thinking, there was a chance to get this game done tonight, and our weather can be a touch, shall we say, unreliable. It seemed a good chance to get it done and an extra night of rest for the winner.

Anderson might be the more grateful for the break - Djokovic coming back from 2 sets down, you would have to fancy he would win the decider if the match continued.

New start tomorrow will give Anderson time to get his head together

I appreciate all your points, and they are all correct. I was just thinking, there was a chance to get this game done tonight, and our weather can be a touch, shall we say, unreliable. It seemed a good chance to get it done and an extra night of rest for the winner.

I just don't think it's that practical. Not sure how they did the other game, but seems a lot of hassle switching over, setting up the court (were the covers on?), players warming up again (get used to new "indoor" conditions, get a new crowd settled (Would they just allow the fans to walk across? That won't be a quick turnaround).

And as stated, it's an outdoor tournament and they don't feel playing for 20-60 mins tomorrow will be a problem.

Djokovic serving to stay in the match - break overnight looks to have been good for Anderson

Back