• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

Joe Gomez available for £35m apparently. He's on around £85k per week.

Obviously way too rich for us. Especially Shi who wants bargain bin signings but charges Champions league prices. The exact sort of signing we should be trying to make even if it doesn't ultimately happen.

We apparently have an offer of 10m EUR from a Turkish for Sarabia according to the Birmingham Mail, which seems a no brainer if we sign a replacement right winger. Use his high wages on someone more deserving like the aforementioned Gomez.
We need another gomez, the more the merrier, come on jeff! 😂

Just a case of when not if in the next 3-4 years that we go down. The running of the club is all geared up for that and don’t anyone try and make out this is part of a big plan it’s not it’s them kicking the can down the street each year nothing more.

Just a case of when not if in the next 3-4 years that we go down. The running of the club is all geared up for that and don’t anyone try and make out this is part of a big plan it’s not it’s them kicking the can down the street each year nothing more.
Agreed, they think they are skilled enough to get us to finish 12th to 17th infinitum. At some point an over performing promoted team, a terrible managerial appointment or a crucial set of injuries will do for us.

The massive problem with that approach is that we unequivocally DO NOT have a squad that would stick together if we went down to give us a solid base to start again.

Taking this year's squad, there is no chance that any of the below would want to stay and play in the Championship and there would be takers for all of them, so we'd be left largely with total shit that we already don't want and kids. You'd have to do an insane rebuilding job. Then you have the issue of what the hell you do with ticketing being as we've decided to take the stupidest, most short-sighted approach known to man.

Sa
Semedo (out of contract anyway)
Ait-Nouri
Mosquera
Lemina
J Gomes
Sarabia (out of contract anyway)
Podence (out of contract anyway)
Hwang
Cunha
Strand Larsen

The BS open letter to fans last summer was full of exactly that. Talking about balancing the books last summer and having a real go this year.
Fans tend to have long memories and all the BS you spout comes back to haunt you.
The positive thing is that FFP is based on a rolling number, season by season, so if we do manage it well this summer, next summer we will be more free financially.

He’s like our very own Farage.

The massive problem with that approach is that we unequivocally DO NOT have a squad that would stick together if we went down to give us a solid base to start again.

Taking this year's squad, there is no chance that any of the below would want to stay and play in the Championship and there would be takers for all of them, so we'd be left largely with total shit that we already don't want and kids. You'd have to do an insane rebuilding job. Then you have the issue of what the hell you do with ticketing being as we've decided to take the stupidest, most short-sighted approach known to man.

Sa
Semedo (out of contract anyway)
Ait-Nouri
Mosquera
Lemina
J Gomes
Sarabia (out of contract anyway)
Podence (out of contract anyway)
Hwang
Cunha
Strand Larsen

it’s a good point I’d be very concerned about us getting stuck in the mud in the championship again.
Complete rebuild would be needed, as @Tony Towner says just 2 peices of bad luck ie injuries etc could do for us any season now.
It’s scary that we can all see it but the ones that matter don’t. Either they’re to arrogant to believe or to nieve to realise it both of which are equally worrying.

Hobbs: hey, we want buy X, we'll give you 15.5 million for him.
Anon: fuck off, we want 25mill.
Hobbs: wow, we can't afford that.
Anon, course you can , you just sold 2 players for 94 mill.
Hobbs: yes but we can only spend 20 mill of that.
Anon: fuck off.
Hobbs: no seriously, i'll put copy of the telegraph in the post.

Soryy chaps but i'm in a silly mood, we finally had rain, only showery, and only for 14 1/2 minutes, but it did knock out the electric, the phones and the internet for 3 hours.
You gotta love Greece. 😂

it’s a good point I’d be very concerned about us getting stuck in the mud in the championship again.
Complete rebuild would be needed, as @Tony Towner says just 2 peices of bad luck ie injuries etc could do for us any season now.
It’s scary that we can all see it but the ones that matter don’t. Either they’re to arrogant to believe or to nieve to realise it both of which are equally worrying.
So taking my list of those who'd go, we'd be left with (and bear in mind some of these will probably/hopefully leave in the next fortnight):

Bentley
King

Doherty
S Bueno
Toti (maybe)
Dawson (if he wanted to sign a new deal on less money, at the age of 35)
H Bueno
Hoever
Lembikisa
Lima (maybe)

Doyle
Traoré
Cundle
Hodge

Guedes (please fuck off)
R Gomes (being generous here)
Bellegarde (again)
Chiquinho
Chirewa
Gonzalez

Fabio (please fuck off)
Kalajdzic (all up in the air because he knows if he can even come back at a proper level following THREE ACLs)
Fraser
Chiwome

Plus assorted totally untried yoot

Pop that lot into this year's Championship and I doubt you'd finish top 6.

Last edited:
So taking my list of those who'd go, we'd be left with (and bear in mind some of these will probably/hopefully leave in the next fortnight):

Bentley
King

Doherty
S Bueno
Toti (maybe)
Dawson (if he wanted to sign a new deal on less money)
H Bueno
Lembikisa
Lima (maybe)

Doyle
Traoré
Cundle
Hodge

Guedes (please fuck off)
R Gomes (being generous here)
Bellegarde (again)
Chiquinho
Chirewa
Gonzalez

Fabio (please fuck off)
Kalajdzic (all up in the air because he knows if he can even come back at a proper level following THREE ACLs)
Fraser
Chiwome

Plus assorted totally untried yoot

Pop that lot into this year's Championship and I doubt you'd finish top 6.
And an enormous transfer surplus that they'd have no choice but to spend some of or the model is broken

And an enormous transfer surplus that they'd have no choice but to spend some of or the model is broken
Yeah but we spent quite a lot of what we brought in during the summer of 2012. Didn't go well. Who knows who the manager would be as well. Doubt it'd be Gary O'Neil.

We'd be in for an enormous rebuild which could go any number of ways. And your gates could be anywhere between 18,000 and 30,000 depending what you do.

Meanwhile Forest continue to try and spend every penny they've got with a £25m bid for Nketiah (rejected btw).

I'm not at all advocating becoming like them with their scattergun approach, but at least they've got the ambition and balls to stick two fingers up to the PL and their points deductions and say we're gonna continue spending to improve regardless.

Meanwhile Forest continue to try and spend every penny they've got with a £25m bid for Nketiah (rejected btw).

I'm not at all advocating becoming like them with their scattergun approach, but at least they've got the ambition and balls to stick two fingers up to the PL and their points deductions and say we're gonna continue spending to improve regardless.

It's not about points deductions. We're in no danger of that happening at all.

Back