• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

We only have hardly any budget through conscious choice. Which is going to bite us on the arse as the other 19 clubs are making the opposite choice.
Yes , but you can't just what Forest and Chelsea are at , keep buying and buying with no idea how to fit them all in .

I have no issue with us buying a small number of players as long as our squad is big enough to withstand injuries over the course of a season . Last weekend our bench was fine , and there are three others to come into that ( Semedo , Traore and Lima ) .

Ramsdale in and Sa out is a straight swap . I won't say no to that , but our squad would not increase in size - but I think overall he is an improvement .
O' Shea adds nothing extra to the naked eye and Bueno would go out on loan then one assumes - so , why do it then ?

We need one more player I would suggest , that would make a significant difference ( CB , Forward , Winger ) . What I have seen to date in rumours do not tick that box .

Our squad planning sucks. Looks at the backline.
  • Ambivalent about Sa, but clearly there's room for improvement at keeper, rumours suggest the same.
  • Still haven't replaced Kilman at CB with a first eleven calibre player. Too many unknowns currently.
  • No proper backup for RAN after sending Bueno on loan, having to use other players to cover is not ideal.
  • Even on opposite flank there's been no future planning, Semedo isn't going to be here forever, they're seemingpy relying on Docherty to be though...
No squad list is ever perfect but ours just seems so haphazardly assembled, and has for a long time.

Our squad planning sucks. Looks at the backline.
  • Ambivalent about Sa, but clearly there's room for improvement at keeper, rumours suggest the same.
  • Still haven't replaced Kilman at CB with a first eleven calibre player. Too many unknowns currently.
  • No proper backup for RAN after sending Bueno on loan, having to use other players to cover is not ideal.
  • Even on opposite flank there's been no future planning, Semedo isn't going to be here forever, they're seemingpy relying on Docherty to be though...
No squad list is ever perfect but ours just seems so haphazardly assembled, and has for a long time.
Lima is the Semedo replacement.

Yes , but you can't just what Forest and Chelsea are at , keep buying and buying with no idea how to fit them all in .

I have no issue with us buying a small number of players as long as our squad is big enough to withstand injuries over the course of a season . Last weekend our bench was fine , and there are three others to come into that ( Semedo , Traore and Lima ) .

Ramsdale in and Sa out is a straight swap . I won't say no to that , but our squad would not increase in size - but I think overall he is an improvement .
O' Shea adds nothing extra to the naked eye and Bueno would go out on loan then one assumes - so , why do it then ?

We need one more player I would suggest , that would make a significant difference ( CB , Forward , Winger ) . What I have seen to date in rumours do not tick that box .
I haven't suggested we go down the Chelsea route. I am suggesting there are significant holes in an already small squad, and twenty million isn't going to cut the mustard.

We had 20 players in the squad last Saturday - all players with senior experience , add 3 more that were left out ( Lima , Semedo and Traore ) , brings it to 23 . Throw in Fabio and Sasa - as both are still being paid as senior players - that makes 25 .

Lets assumes Fabio leaves and is not replaced . Let's assume that Sasa does not play this season and will not be replaced ( even if he were to be advised to retire by surgeons ) .

That leaves 23 - that's fine , and I wouldn't want it to get any lower than that , i.e. if we sell one of those , then we must replace that player .
There are clubs with a good few more than that , and I don't really see the need for it .

I haven't suggested we go down the Chelsea route. I am suggesting there are significant holes in an already small squad, and twenty million isn't going to cut the mustard.
Chelsea is not a good example - I grant you that , but Forest would be . We have 25 senior players - actually forgot Tom King - that's 26 . I don't think there is a whole lot wrong with the number , it's the quality in certain areas that is an issue .

As suggested by absolutely nobody
Lots of posters here describe our squad as too small , I'm not sure I agree in terms of numbers . We just need more quality , but quality is hard found when you offer them our terms and conditions .

Lots of posters here describe our squad as too small , I'm not sure I agree in terms of numbers . We just need more quality , but quality is hard found when you offer them our terms and conditions .
It’s very unbalanced. We don’t need POD, Guedes and Chiquinho but we do need a LB. Probably ok for numbers of CHs but quality definitely lacking. Cover for CF wouldn’t go amiss either.

I don't think they do, they describe it as lacking in quality / not able to play the way the manager wants / don't want to be here.
Bentley - not fit for purpose
King - fine for getting the balls out of the bag at training, but not a first team option
Bueno - can't play a high line
Dawson - as above
Lima - a kid, here to just learn this season
Guedes- doesn't want to be here and will kick off if he stays
Podence - likely as above

That's 7 of your 26 that aren't really options, before I touch on my opinion of the quality of 3 or 4 of the others.

It’s very unbalanced. We don’t need POD, Guedes and Chiquinho but we do need a LB. Probably ok for numbers of CHs but quality definitely lacking. Cover for CF wouldn’t go amiss either.
That's fair on the lack of balance and LB situation . Proper cover for Larson is another - as in a player who can be a regular goal scorer and play that central role .

I am assuming that loans will be arranged for the likes of Hodge , Cundle , Lonwijk , Campbell and a few more .

That's fair on the lack of balance and LB situation . Proper cover for Larson is another - as in a player who can be a regular goal scorer and play that central role .

I am assuming that loans will be arranged for the likes of Hodge , Cundle , Lonwijk , Campbell and a few more .
None of the players you mention will play for us this season so hopefully they are loaned out.

As Shi's latest ego boost seems to be record transfer fees it'd be £54.1m. They pay that then he'll be off, good news for the hidden jewel fund though

If it isn’t now it’ll be soon with Gomes. So many big teams are desperate for a player like him

Back