• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

Wolves remain in the market for a defender and a winger as replacements for Kilman and Neto, but O'Neil sounded a note of caution over their ability to pay big fees.

"I hope the other clubs aren't treating us as super rich and charging what they want because it's not what we are," he said.

"We are working really hard on doing something which we think will help us. The budget doesn't seem too different to last season. The club is still not in a place where it's able to go and free spend on things.

"Would I love to say that centre-forward over there looks fantastic, he's £55m and let's get him in? Of course, but what we're doing is something very different and we're trying our best to maximise it.

"It makes the reward at the end when you are successful much sweeter, when you have to work this hard for stuff."
Why are we always so skint and all the other clubs around us (Palace, Fulham, Bournemouth, West Ham) are spending freely on decent players?

Makes zero sense to me.

They know we can do maths though right? £90m in from two players and we spent what like 40 odd on 3 players (ignoring the fact that it’s not even a straight in vs out for PSR reasons).
As the wage differences to that too. I can't imagine those 3 are comparable to Neto and Kilman's wage and more likely to be comparable to just Kilman.

Probably saved more on these transactions than raising season ticket prices for the last 2 seasons.

Still Bank Balance FC will be healthy.

Compared to the top 6/7 our matchday income is relatively small. Spurs make something like £4 million every matchday, we are around £0.5 million. We are operating in a different league with very little room for growth and the club is using revenue from transfer fees to bridge the gap. Nothing is going to change, there’s no 10 year plan anymore…it’s a perennial battle against relegation with a hope for something better. Any half decent player we develop is basically a sale waiting to happen.

It’s like all those years trying to get promoted, but more expensive.

I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and say this is part of a their negotiation technique but I have eyes, ears and a memory.

I suppose what he’s actually saying is Fosun don’t want to spend big on signings as they want to buy low and sell high like they’ve managed to recently. Trouble is we still need players and sometimes the perfect low price asset isn’t available. Bournemouth dropped £40m of the £65m they got for Solanke about a week later on a replacement.

Wolves remain in the market for a defender and a winger as replacements for Kilman and Neto, but O'Neil sounded a note of caution over their ability to pay big fees.

"I hope the other clubs aren't treating us as super rich and charging what they want because it's not what we are," he said.

"We are working really hard on doing something which we think will help us. The budget doesn't seem too different to last season. The club is still not in a place where it's able to go and free spend on things.

"Would I love to say that centre-forward over there looks fantastic, he's £55m and let's get him in? Of course, but what we're doing is something very different and we're trying our best to maximise it.

"It makes the reward at the end when you are successful much sweeter, when you have to work this hard for stuff."
And that's why they unnecessarily gave him a new contract

If we don’t get a couple of first team starters in, most notably a CH, it will confirm that it’s only a matter of time before we fall through the trap door.

I mean, I get that we haven’t checked every box on the TWF wishlist, but Lima, Rodrigo, and Larsen aren’t nobodies.

I mean, I get that we haven’t checked every box on the TWF wishlist, but Lima, Rodrigo, and Larsen aren’t nobodies.
On paper they look good and it was good to get deals done early but since then incomings have dried up plus we've lost first team starters Kilman and Neto. Last season we suffered from having a limited and threadbare squad, have we really addressed that issue?

All 3 are unproven in the Premier League too so we have no idea as to their suitability yet

Yet we have people who swallow it year in year out. Even for those who don't there's little visible penalty for continually doing so, so why bother stopping?

As long as we have LL and Judah to platform the bullshit and the likes of Ryan Leister and Dazzling Dave to shake their pom poms, with the majority staying silent it'll continue to be the same year after year.

Fwiw I still don't wholly believe The Accountants post. All the running at a budget, lost interest, stuff absolutely, I still don't think there's any consideration about going down though and if we were to look like we were we'd operate in a similar way to Jan 23 again unless it was an obvious lost cause

Last edited:
Yep getting relegated completely screws their model of stay in the league and milk it, with no ambition of finishing higher than about 15th place.

You could probably afford one season in the Championship, but as you can't guarantee getting straight back up again it's not remotely worth the risk of getting relegated.

I honestly don't think they care too much. They'll just run the club in a way that doesn't cost anything from a fosun perspective, regardless of what that means for the footballing aspect.

If we do get relegated I think we'll start to see fosun actively taking money out the club (rather than Tory style favours to mates like they have done)

Larsen derinitely improves our options up front. And until he is moved on, Guedes is also another option there as we saw in pre-season.

Rodrigo I guess replaces Neto in terms of numbers, but he generally plays on the opposite side. We still need a natural right winger. I don't think Sarabia is that as he's too slow. Wissa would be good but we probably won't pay what Brentford want unless it gets very late in the window. It's a shame Enzo got injured as he would have been at least an option off the bench.

Lima gives us another option at RB but in terms of squad numbers he's just an extra, as we already had two players in that position (no matter what you think of Doherty), and I don't think he'll be thrown in this early. It would have been better if Lima was a LB honestly with Hugo Bueno going out.

We have 4 CBs but we still need another as we'll likely play 3 atb at times, and one CB on the bench isn't enough for those situations. Plus we need to plan for Dawson finishing. It's worrying how long it's taking to sort a suitable player. The young French guy will be one for the future if that gets over the line eventually.

I don't think we'll buy another GK now unless we get a silly offer for Sa from the Saudis.

Definitely need for first team - CB, RW
Could do with for succession planning - GK, LB, FW, maybe another tricky AM in the No.10 role to backup Cunha. It'd be nice if Bellegarde could step up to the role in that regard as he's kind of a nothing player at the minute.

We're a bit top heavy in left-sided and central attackers tbh, which is one area we need to trim the squad. Silva will obviously leave asap.

Back